Affirm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Affirm Interview Questions

Interviews at Affirm

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Interview

Phone Interview with one of the Data Scientist on Credit Risk team - 45mins

Simple Use Case -
    Logistic regression model to predict p= (1-PD)
    p should be greater than 0.95 for a customer to be approved for loan. If p<0.95(threshold) for customer, find variable responsible for this reject.
    I applied for Senior Data Scientist role and the person interviewing me was a Data Scientist. She was expecting the answer - simply look at coefficient values. which is a very naive solution. I know because I apparently asked similar question when I interviewed one of my current team members. It is a white board problem with solution little more complicated than what she was expecting.

Advise to Affirm-
    1. If it is a phone interview, so there will be a little gap in communication (keep this in mind). Plus some communication gap was due to different accents.
    2. Use case design - You need to reformulate them based on the mode of interview and role (Data scientist not a data analyst)

I was actually looking forward for this role and team. Will apply again in future. Hopefully, this should not be an issue.

(PS: But, still, overall standard was better than most other companies for Data Scientist role. So, I will give a positive review.)

Second Use-case was black-box model interpretability -
    Again a little poorly designed use case. Expected answer (based on the way she was talking) was how to turn on/off the variables to understand the model. Ehh! I mean come on. Very naive.

Eventually, we have to go to understanding global model behavior and individual predictions using a bunch of techniques. So, not a phone interview use case.

Interview Questions

• Logistic regression use case
      Black model interpretability   Answer Question

Feb 28, 2020 – Technical Hiring Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide a positive and engaging interview experience for all candidates, and we’re sorry to hear your time with us did not reflect this.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Affirm in February 2020.

Interview

Technical phone screening with an engineer. I did solve the given question and worked on optimizing it as I was familiar with the problem. However I got a response that they are not going forward with little to no feedback.

Interview Questions

• Given an input list of names, for each name, find the shortest substring that only appears in that name.   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2020 – Engineering Hiring Team

We appreciate you taking the time to interview with Affirm and are sorry to hear our team wasn't able to provide feedback in a timely manner.

Senior Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Affirm (Chicago, IL) in February 2020.

Interview

The interview process was approximately 2 months, somewhat lengthy, but I think a lot of what played a factor was the holidays at the end of the year, as well as my being gone for a whole week in January - which they were very understanding of.

Overall - they did a fantastic job of keeping me apprised of updates. My HR point of contact was fantastic, always making sure to stay in contact, and going as far as letting me know their personal cell-phone number in case if I had any questions.

At first, I was contacted via LinkedIn who mentioned Affirm was looking to expand in Chicago, and their was a potential opportunity there. From there I was connected with my HR point of contact actually at Affirm.

I had 3 phone interviews (one with HR, one with the hiring manager, and then one with a member of the team (Integrations Engineer to discuss technical concepts).

After moving to the final round from there, they flew me to San Francisco for a half day on-site where we went over basic technical trouble-shooting exercises, technical concepts, client relationship building, and finally a mock presentation for a project kick-off.

Interview Questions

• Given a situation where a client was unhappy with an outcome, how did you remedy it?   Answer Question

Machine Learning Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Affirm (San Francisco, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

2 technical rounds.

1st round: Feature engineering on existing dataset
    2nd round: Coding problem

All along, the questions were very specific to Affirm, the interviewers were very helpful and guided well. It didn't feel like coding up an arbitrary LC problem, but seemed like it was very close to what the actual job demanded.

Interview Questions

• Q: Given a dataset, setup a feature engineering pipeline.   1 Answer
    • Q: Given a list of strings, find the smallest unique substring for each string.   1 Answer

Mar 25, 2020 – Engineering Hiring Team

Thanks for taking the time to participate in our interview process. We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with the team.

Enterprise Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Affirm (San Francisco, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

The entire interview cycle has been incredibly positive, from the initial phone interview with the recruiter to the final onsite. The recruiting team has been very engaging, taking the time to help prepare me for the onsite interview, and what I should expect.

I had a phone interview with the recruiter, take-home assignment, interview with the hiring manager, and several in-person interviews which included reviewing technical concepts and presenting a mock post-sales integration kick off!

Overall I felt very comfortable and really enjoyed meeting several people from various teams I’d potentially be working with. This was one of the best interview experiences I've had yet–I would highly recommend applying to Affirm!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a client was not satisfied with a solution you presented to them.   Answer Question

Mar 25, 2020 – Engineering Hiring Team

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. We are thrilled to hear about your experience and happy to hear you have chosen to join Affirm! Welcome!

Senior Pricing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Affirm.

Interview

Interview 1 was a pleasant interview with HR.
    Then a take home was provided.

The take home assignment was created by an employee four years ago. This employee left the company well over a year ago. The team using this assignment did not understand the assignment itself and that it contained a critical error. When the team was contacted about this error, they declined to fix the problem. Then when they reviewed my work, they incorrectly made comments about my understanding of the industry due directly to the error I had found and they declined to fix. In short, I love the company's CEO's stance on transparency but it is very clear he had has already made a bunch of terrible hires that don't even understand the assignments of a former employee that they continue to use. Embaressing to say the least.

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Interview

Let's start with when I applied - in August of 2019. They responded in January of 2020. So, already, we're off to a very late and unimpressive start for a technical support position. Did they run through 5 people in 5 months?

The interviewer was perfectly nice, talked a lot about the company. The position seemed like it could be done remotely, though I didn't say it. I know many company press being modern but often aren't, so why take the chance.

A rejection a few hours later. Were they interviewing just to be polite? Nearly 5 months later, you can just say no thanks. It's fine. Frankly, it was a waste of everyone's time at that point.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Interview

Time was scheduled with the interviewer, however, I received a meeting cancelation 4 minutes before the interview. This behavior amongst recruiters must stop. It is incredibly disrespectful towards candidates and just sheds a bad light on the company.

Jan 30, 2020 – Engineering Hiring Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide a positive and engaging interview experience for all candidates, and we’re sorry to hear your interaction with us did not reflect this.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Affirm.

Interview

Recruiter reached out by email followed by recruiter phone call followed by an hour technical phone interview.

Person interviewing me was fresh out of college but had a Staff Engineer title 🤔

Interviewer fumbled with finding a question to ask. Spent little over 5 minutes to present a question. Basically copy pasted and did not go over the explanation. Just said given input this what we want as an output.

Interviewer wasn’t paying attention as I had to ask a question while coding multiple times and then he’d say sorry I didn’t hear your question 🙄

Had the problem solved and also wrote bunch of test cases

10 minutes after the interview got an automated rejection email 😑

Such a waste of time. Looks like the interviewer did not even try to understand the solution

Stay away...

Interview Questions

• Given list of strings find each unique letters most coappeared letters   Answer Question

Jan 30, 2020 – Engineering Hiring Team

Thanks for sharing your experience with Affirm. We want all candidates participating in our interview process to have a positive and engaging experience, and we’re sorry to hear your time with us did not reflect this. We will pass this feedback along to the appropriate teams.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Standard combo of behavioral and product questions. They do seem to ask product questions that are related to their industry, so it helps to have context. Did a phone screen, video chat, then onsite which included some PMs and cross-functional partners.

Interview Questions

Affirm Response

Jan 30, 2020 – Product Hiring Team

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback!