Affirm Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Affirm CEO Max Levchin
Max Levchin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Insanely smart colleagues -- learn something new every day" (in 6 reviews)

• "Just a note on my rating of "Work/Life Balance"" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "At times there is a lack of work/life balance on some of the teams" (in 8 reviews)

• "growing pains like communication issues and trying to preserve a principled and desirable culture" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard Working/ Caring/ Honest/ Challenging"

Current Employee - Market Development in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Market Development in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Affirm is great. I have never been surrounded by so many talented and hard-working people. As someone who just left the Military, I was looking for an organization that gave me a sense of purpose similar to what I felt in the military. Affirm has given me purpose, as well as provides me the ability to make a true and meaningful change to the entire company. If you are looking to be challenged, work your butt off, learn something new every day and make an impact on the company you work for, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a simple desk job that is not stressful, this is not the place for you.

They do performance reviews every six months, and if you are a hard worker, you will be rewarded for sure.

The work environment is very professional and very open and accepting. I participate in the Diversity and Inclusion Council and feel that company takes it very seriously at all levels.

Cons

At times, the work/ life balance can become a challenge. Ensure you set personal limits on your work life balance otherwise; you can quickly find yourself overwhelmed. My manager has come to me to make sure I am using my unlimited PTO. My team tends to smartly use unlimited PTO to take long weekends and the holiday time off, but some people don't use it enough.

Also, compensation is generous but could be a bit higher to compete with some other larger tech companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge everyone. Ensure your employees are using the unlimited PTO and enable them to take short days to spend time with their friends and families during the week if workload permits.

Jun 21, 2018 – VP, Market Development

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful a review! We're so glad to hear your transition from the military to Affirm has been a rewarding one. Work/life balance can be a very real... More

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Affirm full-time

Pros

Mission oriented team, fun colleagues and great perks.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Mar 22, 2019 – VP of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear you had a positive experience during your time at Affirm.

3. "Strong growth"

I have been working at Affirm full-time

Pros

Exciting growth and learning environment

Cons

Priorities shift often and there is not enough accountability

Mar 13, 2019 – VP of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. We're glad to hear that you are excited by our growth! As with any scaling company, growing pains are an inevitable part of the process and priorities... More

4. "Excellent Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time

Pros

Smart, passionate and caring teams. Talented and mission-driven

Cons

Growth stage issues, concern for long term success

Advice to Management

Keep true to mission, vision and values company was founded on.

Feb 25, 2019 – VP of Talent

Thanks for being such an integral part of the Affirm team! If you haven't already, make sure you try out our product testing stipend.

5. "Amazing Culture, Folks, and Mission!"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Success Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time

Pros

Everyone is passionate about the mission and excited to go to work!

Cons

No 401K match - yet! There are GREAT benefits outside of this!

Feb 25, 2019 – VP of Talent

We're so happy to hear you're enjoying your time at Affirm! If you haven't done it yet, don't forget to order your Q1 book on Affirm before the end of the quarter!

6. "High growth company, great place to build a career, has its aches and pains as it has grown."

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Affirm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has experienced a lot of growth which has allowed for getting to work on very interesting projects with many users.

Cons

Typical high growth start-up with a lot of first-time managers. With much success also comes politics for individuals to navigate. The company has had a hard time living its core values internally, externally, though, I believe the product continues to deliver on the company's values.

Advice to Management

Clean house on the politics with a different system.

Feb 25, 2019 – VP of Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. We hope all of our employees feel properly supported by their managers, and we've rolled out a robust people manager development program to help ensure... More

"Ambitious company, challenging problems, great culture"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Ambitious company goals, strong growth trajectory;
    - Challenging problems;
    - Smart and eager to help colleagues;
    - Culture of transparency and mutual respect;
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

- Pains of a growing company: teams and people are moving around the company;
    - Sometimes supporting processes are not established which slows down execution

Advice to Management

Adjust recruiting process to favor candidates that are genuinely interested in fintech and solving problems we are working on now and will be working in the near future - these people will stay with us for a long time and will love their work.

Dec 26, 2018 – VP, Talent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! As with any scaling company, growing pains are an inevitable part of the process. We're so glad to hear that our efforts to keep Affirm's mission and... More

"Great environment for a seasoned startup professional"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Affirm offers a very mature environment - not to be confused with staunchy or boring, but one that is fun for the right reasons (challenging, collaborative, and clean).

The team is incredibly smart, willing to challenge each other in the pursuit of doing things better (and more importantly for the right reasons).

The leadership team is honest and transparent, willing to answer tough questions in front of the whole company, available to offer support, keeps Affirm's values at the forefront of each decision and conversation.

The benefits are bonkers! Free quarterly books, daily lunches and dinners, stipends for everyday (and monthly) expenses, truly flexible vacation time, some of SF's best coffee options, and monthly company-wide outings/events that are actually fun :) You truly feel invested in as an employee at Affirm.

Cons

The company is growing at a rate that causes consistent change and communication challenges regularly. This isn't unique to Affirm, just to the time we're in as a company. If you can't handle consistent change, not the place for you.

Our mission runs deep within each team player (which I guess is a pro) but it's not an easy mission and our product is not simple at all. We're transforming an incredibly old industry that touches the personal lives of millions of people and has skeptics in every corner. We have to have hard conversations both internally and externally and it takes a long time to truly understand all of the ins and outs of our business model. Any position you take with Affirm will offer unexpected challenges, which may sound cliche but is truer than most companies I've supported. This isn't so much a con as a be aware that although we've worked hard to make Affirm look simple to consumers, the secret sauce is not.

Sometimes it feels like there are too many cooks in the kitchen for simple decisions. Because of the nature of our product, each project and decision can involve 2 - 6 different teams and multiple people per team. You must be able to navigate internal dynamics, needs, wants, personalities, and do so patiently. This can certainly be frustrating but it's a part of the culture and is something we're optimizing on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Keep the transparency alive. Keep investing in your employees. Be aware of the operational communication breakdowns and provide guidance to managers and team members on ways to improve.

Jan 3, 2019 – VP, Talent

As Affirm continues to grow, it's great to know that the quality of our people has remained constant. Thank you for being part of this amazing, dedicated team!

"Not very exciting product"

I have been working at Affirm full-time

Pros

- great office with a good view
    - benefits are generous (unlimited vacation, good healthcare, above average food)
    - good culture in certain team
    - decent work life balance

Cons

- don't patronize your employees, we're not doing 'God's work'
    - product not very exciting, and personally don't think it lives up to company value & mission
    - onboarding/training program is pretty bad and unstructured - more learning-by-doing

Advice to Management

Stop talking to your employees as if we are saving the world, be more transparent as we all know we need to generate profit for the company

Dec 18, 2018 – VP, Talent

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback. We hope that all of our employees share the passion around what we're building. If there's something we can be doing to better communicate this mission... More

"Mission Driven Company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Affirm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong vision and mission and Max (CEO and Founder) leads with his heart. Very smart team that values creativity, intellectual curiosity and action!

Cons

Not everyone can to keep up with the changes or adapt to the needs of a high growth company. This is also a complex business and those who haven't been able to grasp all of the interlocking parts have struggled.

Dec 10, 2018 – VP of Talent