Alere Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 20, 2017

2.7

Associate Scientist - Assay Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Alere (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

This was for a position at Ionian Technologies, on the Alere campus. They asked me to prepare a presentation (I could choose the research topic) to present for the whole department (~20 people). After answering questions from the audience, there were three interview sessions with three people each. Each session was about half an hour. After that, recap with the hiring manager and the HR manager.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience in working in an amplicon free environment/lab?   Answer Question

User Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alere (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

This initial phone conversation was one of the most uncomfortable screenings I've ever had. The recruiter had a very abrasive personality and would not move past the topic of salary. This leads me to believe that this company is only looking for people that check a certain set of boxes, rather than the best people for the job. The recruiter then proceeded to tell me facts about the revenue of the company as if to try and sell me on how great they were haha...the whole thing felt a little off.

Interview Questions

• Salary...its almost laughable how relentless the recruiter pressed for this one.   1 Answer

Production Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alere (Arlington, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with Alere on Sep, 2016. The recruiter asked me some questions from the job description posted on their career website page. The position required some experience in the related field.

Analyst/Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Alere.

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by an in person interview with the manager. Horrible experience. The manager discussed firing people and unreasonable expectations. It was probably the most uncomfortable interview process of my life.

Contracts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alere (Overland Park, KS) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contact by an HR specialist who was acting on behalf of a group within the organization. Her job was to find out if the candidate met certain criteria for the position. The first question was in regard to salary. After I disclosed the salary at my former employer she told me the range for the position which was far less. She took this information to the group which determined my salary requirements would be too high and decided not to pursue further.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Alere (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

Great initial communication focusing on my objectives and potential fit. Several interviews with various functional area leaders. An efficient and transparent process that went very quick and was enjoyable. Follow up was outstanding.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to communicate a decision you did not agree with.   Answer Question

Data Entry/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Alere (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2016.

Interview

This was my first online interview experience. The interviewer was congenial. The format was Introductions, Company overview, basic job requirements, my questions, interview questions. The process was easy and quick - all told it took less than 2 hours with a 30 minute followup the next day for results. I assume online interviews are replacing phone/personal interviews in some areas.

Interview Questions

• Most were along lines of: "What type of jobs have you had/accomplishments you are proud of..." type things. The last 2 about "how you preferred to be paid and what bank you work with" were a bit unnerving to me for an initial contact interview (esp. an online one).   1 Answer

Negotiation

Awaiting the written offer. WARNING: I got suspicious around mid-June about the validity of this interview/offer. Investigation with contacts at Alere, Inc. has indicated that this was a SCAM. Do not provide any INFORMATION to this interviewer.

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midlothian, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Alere (Midlothian, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online and it took over a month to hear back for an interview. I did enjoy the lab and I felt that I would really enjoy working there even though it was very production based laboratory. After the I was told I would hear next week and there was nothing for two months even after I called and emailed. Finally I received a job offer for $14/hr and I asked if I could think it over they said yes. I called less than 48 hours later and I was told that they need someone right away and they couldn't wait. That same day, a friend received a similar phone call. They asked for time also, they said yes. A few hours later this person calls and just ask for a list of benefits that they would receive if they chose to work for them. They told that person that they have moved on that they need someone right away.

The people at the facility were really nice but dealing with the post interview process was a pain and it made me feel as if my time and energy were worthless because they could get someone cheaper. It did seem as later that the supervisor did not have any input as to who their employee's would be that it is strictly HR's gets to choose.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alere (Waltham, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by in-house recruiter and then in person by three individuals in sequence. I applied for one job and was scheduled for another. I was not told a priori who specifically the three people were and what their roles were. The interviews were ok. The three individuals seemed congenial. One of them, however, seemed disappointed that I theoretically do not want to manage individuals I did not hire (this job has no reports, so this is not an issue). The job had not been described accurately in the description, and I figured it out only there, as they explained it. Overall, not stressful. However, call me old-fashioned, but when you spend that much time, including time off, the least one can expect is a formal note of rejection. Leaving candidates to wonder is classless.

Interview Questions

• Very typical "tell me about yourself". The hardest question was why I would want an SFA job when I've been a Finance Manager   1 Answer

Service Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alere (Orlando, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

Normal interview process, talk with recruiter first, then with hiring manager. Very easy to talk to, made me feel at ease. Asked appropriate questions. The company's communication throughout the entire process was great.

Interview Questions

• From the experience you had at xyz company what skills, knowledge would you bring to the table to address the situation we just described?   Answer Question