Alto Pharmacy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 30, 2018

2.9

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I initially submitted my resume. A recruiter followed up with me within 24 hours to schedule a phone screen. After the phone screen, the recruiter reached out to schedule a video interview where I was asked to respond to sample patient questions. After reviewing my responses, the recruiter reached out to schedule a day for on-site interviews with five people, including one founder; this took 3-4 hours. The final step before getting an offer was for Alto to check my references and run a background check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied to Alto through Planted, and heard back immediately that they wanted to interview me. I did a phone call, Skype working session, in-person half day with 4 employees, and a shadow day, which was awkwardly strung out over a month. Everyone I met with personally seemed genuinely kind and everything seemed fine until I went in for the shadow day and saw senior employees treating new hires like garbage, and had a chance to better understand some of the hierarchical aspects of the business. While I'm sure it's a nice place to work for once you're acclimated, there seems to be a pretty set in stone class structure of the employees that was very unappealing as a prospective employee. Seeing senior management being straight up rude to staff for no apparent reason was off-putting and I lost motivation in having a future career there when I witnessed those negative interactions.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a customer who is calling on behalf of a deceased relative who no longer needs their medications delivered?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

This was the most streamlined and prompt interview process I have ever experienced. The recruiter was always transparent with what to expect next with a reasonable date/time to hear back. I had a phone interview on a Thursday, a follow-up the very next day, and an onsite interview early the following week. It felt like the company was actually organized and respected my time.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical scenarios with patients were presented and I was asked how I would handle them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process went very smoothly. The ScriptDash/Alto team was super efficient and organized. Communication was great! The company did a great job introducing their company values, job description/expectations, and overall company culture.

I had a phone screen, a written assessment completed via Skype and Google Docs, and an on-site interview.

The hiring manager and recruiter was very responsive and easy to work with.

Interview Questions

• How did your previous role prepare you for the responsibilities of a Patient Care Coordinator?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I appreciated how quick they were throughout the process both with communicating next steps and being available if I had further questions. Each individual I met with was professional, yet friendly and laid back, which made the process comfortable and less stressful.

It was composed of three parts: initial conversation with the hiring manager including a brief assignment (answering scenarios), then a 3-hour onsite broken into 4 meetings with various members of the Operations team, and finally a working interview with two members of the Patient Care team. The working interview was relaxed, about 1 1/2 hours, and consisted of shadowing the team which was really great because I saw firsthand the type of work I would be doing on a day to day basis.

Interview Questions

• A lot of customer service scenario questions. Also they wanted to know more about my interests and why I wanted to work with the company.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy in May 2017.

Interview

Overall, the interview process at Alto made me feel welcome and really introduced me to the open, friendly, caring nature of the company. I primarily worked with the Patient Care Manager, and she was very understanding about my schedule (I had to schedule interviews between final exams and graduation, and she was very open to that!). The interview went as follows: 1. A 30-minute phone screening with basic questions 2. A skills assessment on google docs 3. A 3 hour skype interview with various people who asked me to introduce myself and talk about various aspects of the company 4. An on-site interview, where I talked to the CEO, the Patient Care manager, and shadowed various people through the operations process. There was a happy hour!

Alto followed up very quickly after each step. Still, my only problem with the interview was the length of the process as a whole. From my first interview to my final offer took about a month and a half, and there were four significant steps in the process.

Interview Questions

• What appealed to you about the company? Why Patient Care? Why Alto?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process consists of a phone screen, skype case study, and an onsite. Sometimes there is also a shadow day. The onsite is the most extensive part of the process. It is about 3-4 hours of one-on-one conversations with managers, a co-founder, and team leads.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. Communication was very solid and the recruiter checked in with me very frequently. Overall, Alto made me feel very welcome. I had the opportunity to speak with all of the operations leads/managers as well as one of the cofounders which gave me a pretty good idea of what the company was all about. I felt that all my questions were welcomed and every one was eager to explain parts of the company/industry that I was unfamiliar with.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2017.

Interview

I found Alto Pharmacy online and read through the current job openings. I sent in an email with my interests and credentials and got a responses the following morning. The entire process was super quick considering I was located on the east coast at the time! They were great working with the time difference. There was a phone screening, a skills question Skype interview, a group interview (about 4 hours long) and then finally a shadow day. I was on the east coast so I did my group interview via Skype although people in the area did theres onsite. The group interview is about 3 to 5 department heads who take turns talking to you privately. I was flown out for a shadow day where I got to see the ins and outs of the company for about 4 hours. The shadow day was awesome and I really got to know how everything worked. The entire process allows you to meet so many employees and really get connected with the company values and goals.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alto Pharmacy (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was brought onsite after doing well on a take-home assignment. The recruiter was very enthusiastic and helpful. However, once onsite, I found most of my interviewers bored or indifferent. The first engineer didn't even ask any technical questions – it was purely a culture fit interview. I would later learn that my answers were "not robust enough", with no explanation. The second asked me to modify code that he hadn't seen himself, and showed little interest in actually gauging my skills.

Then, I had an interview with the head of operations, which was a non-technical interview. This was the most frustrating interview, because she asked me to optimize multiple parts of the pharmacy delivery pipeline, which has literally nothing to do with software engineering. Having no experience in pharmacy, I (predictably) did poorly on this stage.

At the end of the process, I was rejected for not being "interested" enough in the business. I found this to be totally ridiculous. Just because I don't have domain-specific knowledge doesn't mean I don't find the business interesting. In hindsight, I probably didn't win any points by bringing up negotiation before I knew the outcome. But I was really excited about this company and I found this response to be a lame "culture fit" excuse.

Interview Questions

• Given a pharmacy delivery pipeline (this is drawn on the whiteboard), how would you optimize different processes? Which process do you think takes the longest? (I had no idea how to answer that)   Answer Question