Amyris Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 3, 2017

2.9

Manager, Technical Group Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amyris (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

Applied through the website and received a phone screen 3 business days after. Had a Skype interview the following week and was brought onsite the week after that. Offered the position that same day and I accepted after the offer the following week after some negotiations. I'll admit, this whole process was fast but the HR team and the hiring manager for this position were both very much on the same page and seemed to be very efficient at what they do.

In regards to the interview itself, I got asked questions regarding fit and probed on my technical expertise on the subject matter. The Skype interviews were more structured in a sense of having pre-conceived questions directed at what you'll be handling on a day-to-day basis while the onsite had a more broad range of topics. I thought my interviewers asked a lot of the right questions in regards to management skills/experiences while being able to test my technical skills at the same time.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe a positive and negative experience with a direct report - how I handled it + outcome.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amyris (Emeryville, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Telephone interview, Skype interviews and In person interviews with several people, it's really ridicules. This is way too much vetting for this position and a complete waste of time. I've had much more high security positions that were far less invasive.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had two things that were due at exactly the same time?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amyris.

Interview

First interview was a skype call with three scientists. This was followed, one week later by an all-day interview consisting of a presentation and two-on-one interviews for the rest of the day. Everyone was very nice and open, making it seem like an excellent, collaborative workplace. I did not receive an offer, but feel very positive about the experience and that they likely felt I was not the best fit for the position. They seem like a great company with a promising future.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions focused on how well my scientific research background prepared me to address the specific projects they were seeking to assign to the new hire.   Answer Question

Senior Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amyris (Emeryville, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had 30m phone interview with hiring manager, and then 2 more interviews with the team onsite. Followed with HR, hiring manager and VP for few weeks and no responses from them. they are not very responsive with the updates.

Interview Questions

• About your backgrounds, experiences and how to deal with high temper people and difficult managers   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amyris.

Interview

First round was a fit interview with a business analyst. If they think you're a good fit, they will give you a market analysis question ask you to present your findings later on in the week with a PowerPoint. A final interview was with the senior vice president. Got back to me within a week.

Interview Questions

• -Market sizing and analysis
      -How did you hear about Amyris?
      -Market entrance   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Amyris.

Interview

About a 30 minute call from HR then invited onsite for interviews. Met with the hiring manager, as well as two others on the team who held different roles. Met the person who was leaving the role, which was helpful to see how process are currently handled. Great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Why Amyris?
      How do you work best, in a team or individually?   Answer Question

Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Amyris (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

I applied online using the "Via LinkedIn" option. About a week later they called and gave me a quick 15 minute phone screen. A week later they held In-person interviews on-site conducted in 5 groups of 2-3 people. The interview process took about 2-3 hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you trying to leave your old job?   1 Answer

Associate Scientist HTS Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amyris.

Interview

Got an initial phone screening with HR. At the end of phone call I was told a Skype interview with hiring managers would be scheduled within the coming week and the entire process would be complete late January or early February. Followed up with emails and phone calls with no responses for over a month now. Its early March and still no replies or even an email saying I'm no longer a candidate. First time getting a complete cold shoulder from a company, bit of a bummer especially after being told Amyris takes pride in communication and customer relations.

Research Associate - Fermentation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amyris (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

I got a call from the hiring manager, then met in person with about 8 different people in a rotation style interview, where they all asked pretty much the exact same questions. They never called me to say I wasn't getting the job and also didn't respond to any of my e-mails.

Interview Questions

• Give personal examples of how you handled difficult situations in your past roles/classes.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist I HTS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amyris (Emeryville, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online in December, was interviewed by phone in January, interviewed in person three weeks later, and they came to a decision two and a half weeks after that.

The phone interview was about a half hour, and though the recruiter discussed having me come in the following week, he did not contact me until two weeks later. I interviewed with a total of ten team members: two at a time for 20-30 minute slots. The whole process took about two and a half hours. A week after the recruiter asked for our references, but I don't believe he called mine.

The recruiter kept extending his own deadlines and was generally very bad at sticking to the time frame he set for us. He didn't call on the days he said he would, and I learned that they were offering the job to someone else by reaching out to him to get confirmation of the decision. At that point, I had a pretty good indication I was not a top candidate just by their sheer neglect for me. While the recruiter was very professional, it seemed clear this position was not his top priority because he was so poor at managing the process. The company itself, however, seemed very good and the team members I interviewed with were generally nice and laid-back individuals. They asked very open-ended and general questions.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you had to criticize a team member?
      Tell us about your research experience at ______?   Answer Question