Ancestry Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ancestry Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.7

Content Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry.

Interview

Had phone interview on a Tuesday morning (went well) and was asked to send writing sample after. Writing sample sent Tuesday afternoon, they acknowledged and thanked me for sending it on Wednesday. Then no communication for 1.5 weeks until the following Friday. I email that Friday to follow up and am told the hiring manager has been in a training for the past week and they'll follow up mid-next week with an update. That time comes and goes with no communication.

I wait another 1.5 weeks until the following Wednesday and follow up again. No response. I wait another 1.5 weeks until the following Friday and email again. Recruiter responds instantly (!) and says they just heard back from the primary recruiter yesterday and that job is being offered to another applicant.

This was not the disappointing news after the month-long+ experience with the company, but I was disappointed that, at this point with an applicant chosen, they clearly would have had to gone through the whole in-person interview process in the past month or so I'd been looking for an update. It would have been the professional thing to let the candidate know when they're not chosen to advance in that early stage, rather than waiting until the position had been filled. Overall irritating experience, though the initial phone interview itself was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• What interests you in working for Ancestry in particular?   Answer Question

CRM Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry.

Interview

two phone screens and a written essay. had the hiring manager tell me point black "i really like you and i will reach out to you next week. you will hear from me." neither the hiring manager nor recruiter reached out at all (never denied me or returned my requests for more info). extremely unprofessional and embarrassing for the company.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself; why ancestry   1 Answer

Senior Role Interview

Interview

Interviewed for senior position. Interviewer had not prepared for call and knew nothing about my background. Clearly wasn't interested, and typed during entire call. Worst thing was that interviewer made fun of Ancestry customers.

Senior Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Ancestry has recently implemented a new company-wide rule that requires all employees to have a degree, even if that degree has nothing to do with the job at hand. The recruiter said they've even laid off employees who didn't have degrees. I don't have a degree, but the recruiter didn't notice that until the phone screen.

Opinion: requiring that employees have *any* degree to work there is dumb.

Laboratory Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

A very fast moving process. I had 2 phone interviews in less than a week. HR was very good at passing information from our screen on to the hiring manager so that the questions were not repeated.

Interview Questions

• You do know that the position is in Utah   1 Answer

Full Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Start phone screen recruiter after that takes an online test using Hackerrank with 7 questions.
    If we passed, they will take care of traveling to onsite interview.
    The onsite interview talk with 4 people, 45 mins each.
    Involve with React, white boarding, database and backend, data structure, and 1 session for attitude conversation.
    I really love this company, everyone is very nice. Unfortunately, I failed onsite interview. I think because I don't have much experience with backend and database. The question is not difficult if you have real experience.

Interview Questions

• - 1st question is easy algorithm.
       - 2nd is for read file and manage the data before write out the file for output. Both questions you can choose any language that you familiar with, for me I chose JS (Node.js).
       - 3rd question is query and join database. I cannot complete this one but almost.
       - 4th-7th, are about algorithm knowledge, like what the name of the algorithm, which one is better.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially there was a phone screening, the interviewer asked me basic questions on Java and was given a oline coding exercise to complete within 1.5hrs. It had 5 questions 4 programming and 1 sql based. 2 weeks after I completed that I was called in for an onsite interview. The onsite interview was easy. I met 6 different people on that day each round lasting for 45mins. Interviewers were friendly asked me very basic questions on my experience. I was positive that I would get through but there was no response from the recruiting team even after I followed up with them. After 4weeks they sent a mail saying they are going forward with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• 1. How did you use Mockito to test webservices in your previous project ?
      2. Which language would you prefer to code Java / Python
      3. I was given a two set of code and was asked to find out bugs in the code   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ancestry.

Interview

I was asked to write a page on why I was a good candidate , and why I wanted to work there. Never heard back, complete waste of time. Don't waste people's time with a page long assignment without even sending an email

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry.

Interview

this was absolutely the worst interview I had (out of 25 interviews that happened ).
    The 'interviewer' just stopped in the middle of the process and stopped answering my emails and basically 'ghosted' me. Stay away from this place. What a joke

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ancestry (Lehi, UT).

Interview

I was contacted relatively quickly after providing my application. First there was a screening interview with Dorris O'Brien, who really knew her stuff!

I was definitely impressed with the amount of knowledge that was displayed about the position during the first phone screen since most phone screens I've been on begin with a tertiary set of questions that may not wholly fit with the job.

After a first phone screen there came another phone screen with the hiring manager. This was a more in-depth process with similar questions concerning the resume and details surrounding the job.

I did not go beyond the phone screen but afterwards there should be a longer panel interview and presentation in the home office on an assignment given to you beforehand.

Overall it was great process and Ancestry seems like a very good company to work for. I've worked for or known about a number of corporate software entities and Ancestry seemed like one of the few that retained its culture and good people while still adapting to an environment needed to function at the corporate level.

Interview Questions

• Q: Upon taking the position, what is one thing you believe you would need to improve upon to fully succeed at the position?   Answer Question