Ancestry Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ancestry (Lehi, UT) in November 2017.

Interview

Human Resources were slow in responding to my application. However, once I received a response, I completed the hiring process very quickly, within a week. Under normal circumstances, a phone screening occurs, followed by a coding challenge, then finally an onsite interview. In my case, it was insisted to proceed straight to the onsite interview, skipping the coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• - Several open-ended discussion regarding the overall architecture of a large, complex system from a software perspective.
      - A separate open-ended discussion arguing for and against native development, vs hybrid framework, vs third party framework in order to build software.   Answer Question

Computational Biologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Several informational phone interviews to discuss mutual interests and a whole day onsite interview starting with a research presentation followed by chats with team members. The whole process took about one month from initial contact to offer letter. Very responsive throughout the whole process and were flexible on start date.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (Provo, UT) in July 2018.

Interview

The entire process took two weeks. Four Rounds:
    1st: Recruiter Call
    2nd: Hackerrank Challenge (5 questions) The questions were in the series easy, easy, medium, medium, and hard.
    3rd: Technical Phone Interview. It was a code pair interview. Questions asked were fairly easy.
    4th: Onsite Interview: Multiple Interviews also included a lunch interview. People were overall nice. Some questions were really difficult else everything was a good experience.

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (Provo, UT) in January 2016.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone screening where several members of the team asked me some basic questions about Java, JavaScript and SQL. They also asked me to talk about some of the experiences that I put on my Resume. I was then flown out for a 3 hour on-site interview. They asked questions about Java and design principles and gave me some logic questions. We also further discussed my background, strengths, and weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• In Java, which class is better for string concatenation, String or StringBuffer? Why?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ancestry (Provo, UT) in June 2017.

Interview

Reached out to the recruiter and received a coding challenge to complete. I didn't feel like I did great on the challenge, I am sure that is the reason I didn't have any kind of follow-up.

Java Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online. First, had a conversation with the recruiter. A week later, had a technical phone interview. The interviewer asked very simple questions and I felt that he wasn't much interested. I followed up a week later but didn't get a reply. Then after another week, another recruiter and the person who took my technical phone interview reached out through mail. They asked if I'm still interested in the position so that they can arrange an onsite interview? I replied yes.
    After that, no response from them. Then three weeks later, got a standard rejection mail. Found the whole interview process quite broken and without any coordination.

Interview Questions

• Program to reverse a string. Questions on REST API design.   Answer Question

Software Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (Lehi, UT) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by one of their recruiters via linked in. After agreeing to apply for the job a recruiter called me for a short 5 minute call to get basic information, like current salary, availability, etc.

After passing that part of the interview they setup another call with the person this job would report to. This call took about 30 minutes and went over the job requirements in more detail. I learned more about the project I was going to work on, and was asked a little about how I would implement it, and what some of the challenges would be. This was a very casual conversation, I did not get the impression that I was being tested or anything.

The next step was an on-site interview. This interview took about 3 hours and was even more in depth about the project. I first met with same person I talked to on the last phone call for about 30 min. I was shown mockups and asked about implementation, technologies, and how I would manage my team. Then I was moved into a conference room where I was asked programming and logic questions for about 2 hours, this part of the interview was done by a manager and engineer from a different team. Then for the last 30 minutes I met with the VP over the department. It was all fairly standard and stuff I had done with most other interviews.

The whole process took about a month. They were curious during the process and tried to arrange times that worked with my schedule.

Interview Questions

• Write a recursive function to print out the Fibonacci sequence   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

after a phonescreen I was invited for an onsite interview, as the position in San Francisco office is for the engineer of Content Management System for their marketing team, not in their core search businesss, and it also requires engineers to learn .NET and some particular Content Management System Framework which doesn't seem like a position for self-development to me, I didn't take it seriously in the hopes of more interview experience.

the interview take half a day, I was asked to use dynamic programming for the basic question of Fibonnaci, which made me very disappointed, and they seems to be very picky even for this boring position.

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (Provo, UT) in March 2013.

Interview

After passing the initial phone screening which was just basic personality and experience questions I made it to the technical assessment. This consisted of begin given a small project to complete in about an hour and a half and then reviewing that work with the team. This was done at home and wasn't too complex, but pushed me to get something done fast.

After a week or so I was contacted to come do an on site interview which lasted about 2 hours. I met with a couple different groups, where I answered questions about working with other members of the company (such as designers, product team, etc..) Then I was interviewed by the whole team I'd be working with.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when told to do something that you don't agree with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made this very easy, not much to negotiate because the offer was so good!

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

First round was a phone interview where the focus was pretty much on Web Development, Design Patterns, MVC, SOA and best practices.

Next day received an invite for an In-Person interview to meet their team. The in person interview was mostly based on a skills test, which is to build a web project for a requirement. Although I could not complete the requirement to the full, I was able to justify my approach and was able to explain intent behind the code that I wrote. They were definitely not interested in UI nor were they interested in seeing you complete the whole requirement. Their focus was purely on your thinking abilities and the way you would approach a given problem.

They strongly believe in AGILE development practices and anything you say about AGILE must be accurate and right.

Interview Questions

• what is Behavior Driven Development, how is it different from TDD and would you prefer it? and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ancestry (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The Ancestry.com at SF has great environment and nice view from the building. After checked in, I was brought into a conference room. Then hiring manager told me there would be two engineers would like to chat with me. They came into the room and had one on one interview. Just normal interview questions for software engineer position

Interview Questions

• I wasn't not able release the interview questions. But those questions were very basic programming question, which essentially test to see if you have enough background knowledge in fundamental programming.

They also asked my future plan and other personal information. The interview went smoothly and allowed you to know more about the company.   Answer Question