AppDirect Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppDirect (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I received an e-mail from a recruiter. Things were cordial initially, but it was obvious she was a bit inexperienced. She later sent me a follow-up e-mail asking me to come down for an interview, at no time asking me what times might work for me. Instead, everything was set according to their schedule. Oh, the hubris of the young! Not surprisingly, there were a number of changes to the interview line-up at the last minute. I was interviewed separately by a designer, a developer, and an engineer. I enjoyed all three of the people that I met with, but the coding exam was a bit strange. There was a pre-fabricated test around object-oriented techniques in Javascript. It would have been fine, but it was done under observation, which was highly annoying. Though I was initially told that I did well, in my follow-up meeting the recruiters face told another story. She sent me home rather abruptly, mentioning they would have to "marinate over it". I immediately knew my fate, confirmed later by a similarly abrupt e-mail.

I wish they hadn't wasted my time. A more thorough pre-screening process would have helped all of us avoid wasted time and lost revenue.

Interview Questions

• If you were taking a colleague's design, didn't like it, and felt it needed improvement, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Feb 21, 2013 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing this feedback on your interview experience at AppDirect. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your interactions with our development team, but it also sounds like there are... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AppDirect (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A (very annoying) third party sourcing agency introduced me to HR. Chat with HR, 1 technical phone screen, 2 day onsite interview, first day 3 rounds of technical interviews, second day chat with CTO and VP.

By the end of the day of the second interview they will call you for the offer and you have 4 days to respond. Very lowball offer for a decent sized tech company. I was very open about what I was already making. Therefore I was shock when I heard the lowball offer, they actually went back and added a couple of dollars to the offer but I kindly decline. The stock options in the offer is a joke, this tells you how much they really want you.

In addition, the third party sourcing agency won't stop calling you! They call you literally every day to see "how you doing". They say they would help you negotiate because their profit is proportional to your offer, but obviously the more the company offers you the more they have to pay these guys, so they are less likely to offer you more.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AppDirect in June 2015.

Interview

I got an initial HR call to see for cultural fit.
    Then I had a technical interview call which lasted an hour.
    Interviewer seemed to be in a hurry. He did not ask me anything but jumped straight into asking questions though he was helpful wherever I was stuck.
    Questions were very easy.Just be prepared with Data structures for the first round of interview: Stacks, Queues, LinkedLists,etc

Interview Questions

• 1.Implement a linked list from scratch
      2.Deadlock and mutex on threads
      3.SQL based questions   Answer Question

SQA Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppDirect.

Interview

Got a f2f interview a couple days after a phone interview. There were 3 people scheduled to interviewed with me 1-1. I did pretty well with two of them (the 1st & last one) except the 2nd one. The 2nd one has some communication issues(English is her second language) as well as her altitude. She stepped into the room with odd looking face and thru questions at me without looking at me at all. Her accent was terrible I couldn't understand what she said and at the end she said: "good luck and Im sure you'll find a job soon". After heard what she said I felt like what a wasting time! Anyhow, after went home I sent out a thank you letter that night and didn't get a response from HR to confirm that she/he received my email and forwarded my letter. I called the HR and she told me she did forward it and will get back to me on the feedback soon (with a very odd tone). So I didn't expect a positive feedback from them and got a denied email 2 hrs after my call. Although I enjoyed talking with the other 2 interviewers but the rest were very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• The lady asked me: what's Junit test case? I said it's basically unit test cases written in Java. She rolled her eyes to show disagreement about what I said. This made me feel like an idiot although I was very confident about what I said.   1 Answer

Feb 28, 2014 – Director, Human Resources

We appreciate that our candidates take time from their busy schedules to interview with us, and we would never want to waste anyone's time... I apologize if we gave you that impression during your... More

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDirect (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I had a very positive interview process with AppDirect. Everyone on the team that I interviewed with were extremely friendly and made me feel very comfortable and excited about the position. Unfortunately the only downside I must add is the amount of time it took to receive feedback from the recruiter. I didn't even hear back in the timespan that she had specified and had to send multiple emails to final get a response that they had gone with another candidate.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AppDirect.

Interview

Submitted application, received an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. During the phone interview, the HR recruiter was asking about my previous experience and career goals about what field do I want to get into. Everything was okay until she asked one question that was confusing and difficult to answer in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 things that you will bring to the first day of work to ensure you have a good day?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDirect (Boulder, CO).

Interview

Phone Interview followed by an in-person technical interview. The phone interview seemed to be more to make sure there was a good cultural fit. The in-person was a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• People were friendly. Straight-forward technical problem solving questions. It all went well. I'm a senior level developer, and the questions were appropriate, nothing tricky.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AppDirect (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Had multiple phone screens, having cleared them was scheduled for onsite at SFO location.
    Ridiculous onsite interview practices, The job location was in Sunnyvale, but the onsite interview was held in SFO. The team in Sunnyvale was interviewing me on Skype and the team in SFO, with whom I would work remotely if hired, was interviewing me in person. I was not aware that the final interview would be in SFO, since the position was in Sunnyvale. They did not even tell me in advance that I need to carry my own laptop for coding during interview. I pretty much cracked all the questions in the coding interview. Most of the interviewers were good, there were some interviewers who did not even know the basics, for instance, When I used Java's concurrent hashmap's method putIfAbsent in my code, they started searching google to determine if what I was coding was correct, not a good sign.

Backend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at AppDirect.

Interview

I was called by their recruiter and was asked about my background.It seemed like I was perfectly positioned for what they were looking for,so they flew me in.I was surprised that there was no phone interview but I wasn't complaining.There was no interview schedule sent to me so I asked for one.I go to the interview and the interviewer is 15 minutes late and it is the wrong interviewer.The interviewer apologized and said they had to change the lineup.I was asked a simple algorithmic question and I answered it.The next interviewer spent the whole time explaining his product.The third interviewer asked about past work.I was supposed to meet the CEO next.I was left waiting for 30 minutes doing nothing.Then the hr comes in and tells me that the CEO is too busy and I can go.I will be informed on monday of their decision.The funny thing was I saw the CEO pass my door,which was wide open and glance at me.All they had to tell me was I didn't make it.I have a hard time understanding these roundabout ways of rejecting people.I lost a whole day for this.There should atleast be a standard interview policy that will tell them all they need to know before flying someone in.This will save both the interviewer's and interviewee's time.

Interview Questions

AppDirect Response

Jul 23, 2015 – Global Head of Talent

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Since your visit, we have been working with our team to provide more real-time feedback to candidates during the technical portion of the interview... More

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AppDirect (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Good interviewer. Good interview questions. I applied online and was contacted by recruiter, who set up a phone screen. The phone screen interview was easy, questions about multi threading, stacks, Java, data modeling.