AppDirect Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
AppDirect Co-Chief Executive Officers Nicolas Desmarais & Daniel Saks
Nicolas Desmarais & Daniel Saks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free food and snacks( Not that good but its free)" (in 12 reviews)

• "emphasis on employee wellness and work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I would chalk it up to growing pains that are unavoidable" (in 5 reviews)

• "There was a lot of brain drain there" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Huge potential, strong software engineering, great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very energetic and visionary leadership team, with late addition of very experienced members
    - Excellent engineering leaders and very bright software engineers
    - Experience the Silicon Valley culture in Montreal
    - Very good atmosphere and culture of transparency
    - Great compensation and perks (fancy lunch every Friday, food, beers, Foosball table, game nights, ...)
    - Implementing the latest engineering technics and technology
    - Pre-IPO - private growing company

Cons

- The former code base had accumulated tech debt due to commercial success, however there are now dedicated teams to improve the tooling, the architectures, and transform toward true microservices
    - processes where very ad-hoc to deliver, but getting more and more organized and leadership push to implement true agile-scrum-lean at scale
    - moving toward complete empowerment of the teams and the software engineers

Advice to Management

- keep continuing adding strong and experienced leaders around you and your vision, listen to them
    - continue to invest in the engineering non-functional requirements, engineering roadmaps and agile-scrum methodologies

"Amazing company"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time

Pros

Great People, interesting product, challenging work, great office, great perks

Cons

Can not think of a noticeable con.

"Zero culture"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good access to resources, tools, and technology needed to help get the job done. They are aware of the lack of women in the office (HQ) and are actively trying to recruit more

Cons

Intensity (core value) is taken to the next level here. There is zero company culture and I'm not exaggerating -- people are not friendly, exec management and leadership don't care about the employees, very little cross-collaboration between different orgs and teams. Mgmt is so far removed from the day-to-day operations of the company. Zero female leadership outside of HR.

Advice to Management

Make more of an effort. Act like you care.

"Okay company but not a lot of opportunities"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great views, once a week catered lunch, snacks
    -Healthcare coverage and a good amount of PTO
    -Flexibility with work schedule to pickup kids

Cons

-Low salaries and sometimes no raises
    -Very little chance to go up
    -Working in an old technology stack

Advice to Management

Please look at what your employees are saying

5. "Great technology company with a strong focus on culture"

Current Employee - Sales and Business Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppDirect has a great business solution to solve for the changes in digital transformation. A great strong team environment with a razor like focus on culture.

Cons

Too much time of the sales organisation is spent on selling internally

Advice to Management

Sales people should be spending 80% of their time with customers learning their business problems, not 50% of their time on metrics and inwardly focusing requests

"Great people, not a lot of career growth though"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely helpful and kind
    Good product
    Amazing view from the office

Cons

Low wages
    Tech being used isnt cutting edge

"What does it feel like?"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What does it feel like to work for a company you believe in?

AppDirect has an incredible product and an even more incredible vision for the future; striving to build the platform the world needs to find, buy and use software in the modern age. AppDirect is tackling the largest distribution problems the world faces. Problems that the largest fortune 500 companies struggle with and avoid. And we are succeeding!

I work with some of the most talented, passionate, kind and intense people I've ever met. I am excited every day I come to work. The company is growing rapidly but has so many things going on that there is plenty of room to grow and evolve in your role and responsibilities.

What does it feel like to work at a company you believe in? It feels amazing!

Cons

We still have a lean management layer. You need to be a doer! There are no 9-5 jobs at AppDirect and plenty of second jobs to pick up if you're hungry for responsibility. Those who thrive here are those who choose to get involved.

I won't say we don't have problems. We have a lot of spaghetti code, our builds take a long time, there are serious technical redesigns needed. But our CEOs recognize the issues and have a lot of people dedicated to fixing it. They care a lot about the happiness of engineers. It took a while to get the product to a place where we could focus on the platform as much as we are now. We lost some great and talented people along the way but I am excited and hopeful for the journey ahead.

Advice to Management

Get out there and talk with your employees! Nick and Dan have such a great vision for the company and the product. More people need to hear it first hand to understand the true magnitude of where we are headed.

One team, one dream!

"Great Environment and Positive Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing facility and office space, fun community events and team bonding (wine nights!), talented leadership team who engage with all staff and sit on the floor with their team members, staff alignment on company's core values, great holiday party

Cons

The business team feels like a fraternity

"Maturing with huge potential!"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has been on a rocket trajectory and is now working through the phase of stabilizing and maturing to build real scale. The mission/vision is highly ambitious and the market is primed. There is significant opportunity to impact the business and no shortage of projects.

- Passionate, smart people to work with
    - Opportunity to Play at the center of an emerging digital ecosystem
    - Strong but evolving culture
    - New more seasoned management coming on board
    - Driven CEOs with hearts in the right place

Cons

AppDirect has hit a rocky patch as it transitions from start-up to mid-sized platform company. Rapid international expansion and acquisitions have stressed resources and cost structures Many of the foundational elements in people, technology, process and business planning were overlooked due to rapid growth. This is now recognized and starting to get addressed, but will take some time. As a result many early employees feel disheartened and have departed.

Founders/Co-CEOs need to learn to let go and trust. Entrepreneurial leadership is not the same as mature leadership

Many individual contributors, managers and executives with limited professional experience has created a make-it-up-as-you-go ethic as an artifact of the start-up culture.

Sometimes speed trumps planning with questionable results.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on building the foundation of the new organization and hiring for management/executive experience.
    Build a clear plan and trust people to execute on the plan. Separate skunk-works from core objectives.
    Better decisions get made with more input. Reach out to the smart people you have to help make decisions.

"Growing pains, but bright future"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People and transparency! The people are the reason AppDirect is a great place to work. Being surrounded by the best and brightest every day make the job fun and rewarding (and the views from the San Francisco office don't hurt), but transparency has been critical too. Like every company with rapid growth there are ups and downs but I always feel in the loop and know how to contribute.

Cons

Growing pains – in some ways AppDirect has suffered from it's own success. Adding headcount, global offices and new technology is a challenge and everyone feels the stain of that on occasion, but if you're looking for a company where you get to define the gray areas it's a good problem to have.

Advice to Management

Continue to acknowledge the challenges as much as the successes and trust in the talented employees to provide the solutions. Listening goes a long way.