AppDirect Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppDirect Co-Chief Executive Officers Nicolas Desmarais & Daniel Saks
Nicolas Desmarais & Daniel Saks

Pros
  • AppDirect also has a great office culture (in 8 reviews)

• Core values here are very specific, not just feel-good buzz words, geared toward guiding the individual (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I would chalk it up to growing pains that are unavoidable (in 4 reviews)

• There is also serious brain drain going on, as the more experienced people bail within a year or two (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Over-arching issues are being dealt with"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great office. Great views. There are, of course, rough patches as with any scaling company, but it feels like many of those things are finally being discussed and addressed.

Cons

With so many moving parts, there are times where it feels like the cross-functional communication is lacking. Leadership team seems to be working hard to address this, with the help of a newly robust People Operations team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your best to keep your employees happy and engaged. Communication goes a long way!

2. "What does it feel like?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What does it feel like to work for a company you believe in?

AppDirect has an incredible product and an even more incredible vision for the future; striving to build the platform the world needs to find, buy and use software in the modern age. AppDirect is tackling the largest distribution problems the world faces. Problems that the largest fortune 500 companies struggle with and avoid. And we are succeeding!

I work with some of the most talented, passionate, kind and intense people I've ever met. I am excited every day I come to work. The company is growing rapidly but has so many things going on that there is plenty of room to grow and evolve in your role and responsibilities.

What does it feel like to work at a company you believe in? It feels amazing!

Cons

We still have a lean management layer. You need to be a doer! There are no 9-5 jobs at AppDirect and plenty of second jobs to pick up if you're hungry for responsibility. Those who thrive here are those who choose to get involved.

I won't say we don't have problems. We have a lot of spaghetti code, our builds take a long time, there are serious technical redesigns needed. But our CEOs recognize the issues and have a lot of people dedicated to fixing it. They care a lot about the happiness of engineers. It took a while to get the product to a place where we could focus on the platform as much as we are now. We lost some great and talented people along the way but I am excited and hopeful for the journey ahead.

Advice to Management

Get out there and talk with your employees! Nick and Dan have such a great vision for the company and the product. More people need to hear it first hand to understand the true magnitude of where we are headed.

One team, one dream!

"Growing pains, but bright future"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People and transparency! The people are the reason AppDirect is a great place to work. Being surrounded by the best and brightest every day make the job fun and rewarding (and the views from the San Francisco office don't hurt), but transparency has been critical too. Like every company with rapid growth there are ups and downs but I always feel in the loop and know how to contribute.

Cons

Growing pains – in some ways AppDirect has suffered from it's own success. Adding headcount, global offices and new technology is a challenge and everyone feels the stain of that on occasion, but if you're looking for a company where you get to define the gray areas it's a good problem to have.

Advice to Management

Continue to acknowledge the challenges as much as the successes and trust in the talented employees to provide the solutions. Listening goes a long way.

"Experiencing some growing pains, but still loads of potential"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart passionate people.
    Product potential is huge.
    Execution is becoming easier after a year of changes.
    Strong new leaders in place.
    Fun culture that is building up again.

Cons

Internal communication and clear decision making is a challenge.
    The CEOs need to empower the new set of leadership in HR, Marketing and Product to shine!
    My career opportunities could be clearer to me during this transition phase of the company.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to execution on on plans to hit our goals.

"Challenging, engaging, and rewarding"

Current Employee - Staff Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppDirect is flying at a million miles per hour on a mission with a huge scope. They need all the help they can get, and there is no shortage of challenging and exciting projects to work on. The amount of growth opportunities for you here is only limited by the amount you're willing to take on. If you're motivated and engaged, it's very easy to find strong opportunities for yourself here.

Cons

Not a lot of supporting structure, you'll have to carry your own weight. If you're looking for a specialized role, with limited responsibility, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

There are opportunities to add more supporting structure for those who need more clarity and direction in their role. It can be challenging to feel looped into the primary mission unless you actively seek it out yourself, so try to find ways to distribute these goals out to all the teams so everyone feels engaged.

"Burnt out, frustrated and saddened"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The relationships I built with my peers were very meaningful and significant. Good people DO exist at AppDirect, but they're also powerless, get burnt out, fed up, or disgusted, and inevitably leave. There are people there who SHOULD be cultural role models, but aren't treated like that.

Cons

Negative, stubborn, spiteful, grudge-holding executive leadership. Rampant cronyism. Broken promises. Lack of autonomy. Consistent turnover—people so thoroughly frustrated that many left without securing a new position elsewhere. You can feel the dissatisfaction looming throughout the office.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even bother offering any more advice to management. Advice offered to management never changed anything. During my tenure, well meaning, insightful feedback was consistently dismissed, or ignored by management.

"Non-white males, beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office and location, benefits, some talented and kind people, interesting problems, millions in investment by well-known investors (Peter Thiel and JP Morgan Chase)

Cons

If you think Uber is bad... AppDirect has all the same problems and worse, because they don't yet have the profits or reach to justify it. They've hemorrhaged entire teams of talented people over the past few years, to say nothing of all the minorities and women they've mistreated and driven away. Nepotism begets nepotism. Leadership has made no effort to change. There is no soul-searching, empathy, or critical judgment when you've had everything handed to you your whole life. They've squandered talent — everyone who doesn't look or act like the leadership eventually leaves. If you have no ambition or independent thought, then this is the company for you. In terms of strategy, they've spread themselves thin with a lack of product focus and a string of vanity acquisitions. Eventually the multi-year contracts procured with inflated promises will run out so it's only a matter of time before the lack of results speaks for itself.

Advice to Management

It's pointless to advise people who can't listen.

"Nope, nope, nope"

I worked at AppDirect full-time

Pros

- Company attracts great people (but most end up leaving)
    - Beautiful office space

Cons

- Toxic bro culture
    - Can't tell you how many women and minorities I've seen (a) get put down or overlooked in meetings, (b) get passed over for promotions, and (c) make less than their white, male, less experienced counterparts
    - Inexperienced, arrogant leadership and managers running the show, i.e. cronyism at its best!
    - Humility is apparently a value but nowhere to be seen
    - CEO runs the show and changes focus/goals constantly for projects
    - Have seen and experienced manager use bullying tactics to control subordinates, e.g. Trump much?

Advice to Management

So many people have given feedback - only to fall on deaf ears or get defensive, empty excuses in return.

"Great Gig for the Less Ambitious"

I have been working at AppDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible schedule
    - Free snacks and beverages, catered lunch on Fridays
    - Friendly atmosphere and decent amount of social events
    - Smart, yet underutilized, team members

Cons

- The lack of incentives to be a long-term or loyal employee is comical. There isn't even the semblance of a dangling carrot. CEOs literally think we should all be eternally grateful for getting to work at AppDirect.
    - If you have a problem with anything related to the company, you are led to believe it's a problem with you, not them.
    - Constructive criticism that makes the company look even slightly bad is NOT encouraged. Don't even think about complaining or you will be pegged as a rabble-rouser by HR.
    - Almost zero potential for promotions, raises or bonuses. Raises capped at 4% no matter what.
    - Much like high school, there are severe distinctions between the inner circle and everyone else. Engineers are more or less ignored while the sales team gets expensive offsites, dinners, and recognition. CEOs have their 'favorites' that get fast-tracked to managerial positions that they are 100% not qualified for.
    - Monthly town hall is basically an opportunity for leadership to toot their own horns and repeat the same propaganda over and over.
    - Huge focus on company values that are not exemplified by leadership.
    - Zero mentorship possibility here. There is no one to learn from given that there is a serious lack of director/VP level staff.

Advice to Management

- Learn to have some emotional distance between yourself and the company; it will make you less defensive when people criticize and will enable you to delegate.
    - Stop micromanaging! You do not have the bandwidth to have your hands in every project that's happening here.
    - Encourage career growth instead of keeping people stuck in the same position for years on end.
    - Acknowledgement that you are very difficult to work with goes a long way; you should try it sometime!

AppDirect Response

Oct 18, 2016

We agree with you on the importance of career development and leadership. As you may know, we are building out a People team with experienced professionals to equip our managers with the tools they ... More

"Rapid Growth and Very Unique Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDirect (More than a year)

Pros

AppDirect has a very broad product offering and has grown rapidly with some very big customer wins as well as acquisitions. Very interesting and unique platform. Very positive culture. Amazing HQ office in downtown SF.

Cons

Rapid growth (also a pro) has resulted in some gaps in processes especially around training and communications. Still very much a startup in many ways despite having over 500 employees.

Advice to Management

Operational improvements are needed to continue to scale, would continue to hire Senior Exec leadership with track records of scaling companies.