Blurred employer

Tech

2187.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - /Community/technology

Got a burning question about AppDirect? Just ask!

On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with AppDirect employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Community, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "Culture is great and the tech stack(in 44 reviews)
  • "Great people and professionals.(in 38 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance.(in 16 reviews)
  • "4. get a chance to work with awesome team(in 16 reviews)
  • "Oh and a great office in downtown San Francisco!(in 14 reviews)
Cons
  • "But this gets compensated as every employee here have a high visibility and can communicate with management directly.(in 13 reviews)
  • "Recent layoffs in San Francisco.(in 12 reviews)
  • "CTO has bad leadership which can be shown by recent exits from many engineers.(in 12 reviews)
  • "As far as I could tell my direct manager could only regurgitate buzzwords and comment negatively about his peers in management.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Low compensation as compared to market No RSUs/ESOPs(in 6 reviews)

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AppDirect and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 195 of over 346 reviews

Updated Sep 14, 2023

Mar 21, 2021
      Program Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun company to work at now

Cons

Management can be slow to make changes

1. 4.0
        Jul 31, 2023
        Senior Software Engineer
        San Diego, CA
        Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

none i can think of

2. Join the AppDirect team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 2.0
          Dec 2, 2021
          Former Employee, more than 3 years
          Business Outlook

Pros

AppDirect is a very flexible work from the home situation during covid and even before, depending on the manager. There are a few good people there and they put a lot of effort into building a virtual employee experience. Often we had local and global all hands.

Cons

- Leadership often changes GTM strategies, which feels like 3-4 times a year. - Not truly a B2B enterprise software company, more of a software reseller trying to focus on the gross merchandise value (GMV) - Equity interest is low in the secondary market as the company is no longer hyper-growth and is now in debt financing rounds. - Top Talent and leadership have been leaving. Recruiting top talent is hard. - Shifted hiring to less talented regions (not SF) and the quality of new hires is subpar. - leaders that are left lack top tier tech experience and leadership - No WFM or adjusted Covid benefits ( no more in-office snacks or meals) - Still no 401K match- this is a 10 year + old company...

1. 2.0
            Nov 9, 2021
            Business Outlook

Pros

There are some good people throughout the company. There is also great diversity and inclusion throughout the company. The all hands meetings are informative and fun. Dan Saks is a great charismatic leader and leads a very informative podcast.

Cons

The strategy changes often, causing very high turnover. There are also lots of leadership changes at AppDirect and AppSmart as the strategy changes almost monthly. The company tells a compelling story to hire employees in. So I highly suggest you do the research and talk to others on LinkedIn who recently left AppSmart or AppDirect to learn more about the culture and reasons for turnover before accepting a job here. AppSmart and AppDirect have very different cultures, even though they are both under the umbrella of AppDirect.

Nov 11, 2014
              Business Development
              Current Employee, less than 1 year
              Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company for less than a year, but here is what I can share of my experience so far: - Incredible culture focused on fostering growth and success - Opportunity to own more than your defined role and shine within the company - Flat org and access to executives at any time - Market leading platform that continues to improve and evolve into an industry disrupting technology - Working with the largest companies in the world and impacting millions of businesses - Great office atmosphere and amazing views (24th/25th Floor, 360-deg view of city and bay) - Competitive benefits (Equity, 401K w/ matching, Free Bay Club Membership, Free Healthcare/Dental/Vision, Catered Lunches, and others) - Monthly town halls to highlight successes, improvements, spotlight new hires, and share new initiatives There are plenty of other reasons, but the simplest way I can put it is: this is the best place I've worked yet and I feel like I'm a part of something that's making a difference.

Cons

- The company is still getting to the point of building training tailored to specific roles, meaning expect to be ready to own your role and find the answers - especially if on the business side - We operate pretty lean all things considered so the hours can be hectic and unpredictable at times - The product and capabilities continue to grow so it can be daunting at first

Jan 19, 2021
                AppDirector
                Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is incredible. You won’t find one person at AD that isn’t a respectful and kind individual.

Cons

The product is truly ahead of its time. experience in tech won’t help you here - you learn something new everyday. This can be overwhelming for some, but everyone at the company is extremely intelligent.

May 7, 2014
                  Graphic Designer
                  Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Previous jobs have not pushed me to excel in the same way that AppDirect has. Overall, the company is comprised of exceptionally intelligent and driven people who get along very well. Compensation is fair and reviewed regularly. Everybody is considered for growth in their roles. This is not a place that seeks to stifle people. As a designer, my job allows me to interact with just about every department—this variety is a great benefit, and something I was actively seeking when interviewing. I'm really optimistic about the future here—as the design team grows, I look forward to welcoming new talent to our group. While long hours aren't unusual, they're balanced out by a nice PTO policy (20 days) and holiday schedule (about 10 days). AppDirect also has a great office culture. Many employes are avid ping-pong and foosball players and take advantage of the tables in the game room. While we may not have a full service kitchen staff like other tech companies, we do have a nicely stocked kitchen—snacks, fruit coffee, tea and plenty of cold drinks. Lunch is catered on Fridays, we have weekly team workouts (optional of course) and on-site and offsite happy hours are a regular occurrence.

Cons

As our company grows quickly, it's sometimes difficult reconcile the difference between needing to make quick decisions vs. smart decisions that benefit the long-term vision and goals of the company. I would chalk it up to growing pains that are unavoidable.

Jul 30, 2019
                    SDR Team Lead
                    Business Outlook

Pros

// Mentorship - I went from minimal sales experience to setting up deals with some of the largest enterprise companies in the world. AppDirect has also given me a deep understanding of industries like ISV, Manufacturing, MSP/VAR, FinServ, Telco, etc. // View - 360 unobstructed view of San Francisco from the 25th floor (I’m writing this while looking at the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz) // Friends - I couldn’t wish for a more supportive and friendly work environment, even senior leadership has taken the time to get to know me personally // Flexibility - I’m given the freedom to take daily gym breaks and work from home when needed // Career Development - I get ~$,1500/yr to go to events, take classes, buy books, etc. as well as unlimited free access to Udemy courses // Salary - they pay is above market average (with an uncapped quota + accelerators) with significant career growth opportunities, 401K, fully covered health/dental // Enablement - I’d like to think we are the most enabled SDR team out there...AppDirect has invested in giving us world-class sales tools and marketing collateral, and hands-on training (making my job easier) // Andddd yes there’s free lunch every day and all the snacks/drinks you could want

Cons

We've had some turnover, but that's the nature of the industry. The reality is that we're getting invaluable experience.

Apr 18, 2014
                      Director
                      Business Outlook

Pros

AppDirect has built a very strong team filled with exceptional people, so it is truly a joy to come to work everyday because you will be interacting with some of the smartest and most talented people in their field. Not a week goes by where I don't learn something new from a colleague. Because its customer base is some of the leading brands and tech companies in the world who are undertaking massive IT transformation you are often paired with the best and brightest on our customers teams which also makes for rewarding external working relationships and great professional networking opportunities. The exponential growth in customers, revenue and product capability make for a break neck pace which is what everyone dreams about when at a start up, it often feels like everything is going our way. Overall this is an ideal place to work for someone looking to establish a great reputation in the industry by helping to build what looks to be the next multi billion dollar tech titan.

Cons

One of the downsides of explosive growth is that the rapid growth in people, departments and work is that building repeatable processes often falls by the wayside as things are handled in an ad-hoc or one off manor to satisfy the immediate need, I think this is common among all hyper growth companies but can be difficult for people who are used to more structure and definition at larger more established businesses.

Jun 5, 2014
                        Creative Director
                        Current Employee, more than 3 years
                        Business Outlook

Pros

When I started at AppDirect, I could count my surrounding colleagues on just my hands. Now, 4 years in and with over 100 new people on the team, I'm more proud than ever for the opportunity I've had at AppDirect. In the early days, our co-founders emphasized that with a shared vision and hard work, everyone would have the opportunity to take ownership over their careers and form the trajectory of AppDirect's business and culture. During my tenure at AppDirect, I've gone from being a sole individual contributor to leading an incredibly talented Design team. Along the way, no one explicitly told me to create a department or lead a team. I approached the endeavor with AppDirect's core vision in mind and was met with support as the Design team not only defined itself as an autonomous group within the company, but also established design as a core responsibility to our success.

Cons

As a fast growing and youthful startup, it sometimes can feel like there is a lack of experienced managers to mentor people such as myself who had teams that are growing to 10+ people. I really want to be successful in my leadership abilities, and having more available and invested people to help do so would be great.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 195 Reviews
                      </>Embed

AppDirect Reviews FAQs

AppDirect has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 346 reviews left anonymously by employees. 38% of employees would recommend working at AppDirect to a friend and 40% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AppDirect employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AppDirect. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

38% of AppDirect employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AppDirect 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AppDirect to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be management, compensation, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with AppDirect Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

190.7K

Product Design Manager

I’m interviewing with a vp of product today for a product design manager role and in my prep I’m struggling to think of a response for “a time I disagreed with leadership” like I know there have been times but I can’t think of a specific any tips or advice?

4 Comments

Account Executive

Does anyone have any suggestion templates for a message to send on linkedin that they’ve tested/worked to get a response from a recruiter that works at the company but isn’t linked to the job posting / hiring manager when you see a job posting that you are a right fit for and don’t have a relationship that you were able to build with time like most of these career advisors suggest and don’t want it to come across like a ask?

3 Comments

Manager

I’ve recently completed an interview for my dream job at a dream company. It went well (and received same feedback from HR afterwards), however I was just informed the position is placed on hold to ascertain their resources, etc. my interviewer was the head of the department. Would it be inappropriate for me to reach out to her on LinkedIn to let her know I would be interested in any future roles on her team?

3 Comments

Glassdoor has 346 AppDirect reviews submitted anonymously by AppDirect employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if AppDirect is right for you.