Applico Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Applico Interview Questions

2.6

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

KEY FACT

Someone from their team reached out to me regarding an undisclosed role in their marketing and PR team, emphasizing the "they reached out to me." We schedule a call to discuss undisclosed opportunity.

EXPERIENCE

1) Person was late to the call and did not apologize

Shows a clear lack of interpersonal skills and that they do not value personal time. It also shows that they would definitely not value my personal time if I was on their team, and probably work their employees to the ground.

2) Person proceeded to ask why I was interested in the role that had yet not been disclosed and what I could offer.

I politely mentioned that someone on their team reached out to me and did not disclose the role or exact opportunity.

3) Person explains that the role is for marketing and PR. I ask what the major responsibility is because I have experience in both areas and they are different skill sets.

Person proceeds to share the responsibilities and the role is in fact business development, possibly 25% marketing.

Note, I did my research and saw that the person was a year out of college, with less than a year of experience, and no expertise in either marketing, PR or business development.

I tactfully explain that the role he is describing sounds sales heavy and that I have done both PR and marketing and what it sounds like they need is a business development manager.

Person tries to unsuccessfully counter me with a defensive tone, ignoring the fact that I have significantly more amount of experience. You would think they would know this, given that again, they reached out to me. So, I would naturally assume they do homework on candidates that they'd like to bring on to grow their business.

CONCLUSION

After less than 10 minutes, I end the call. I thanked the person for reaching out, but it would not be a good fit. I could not and would not work alongside that person (person conducting interview would be on my team).

RECOMMENDATION TO MANAGEMENT

Please select carefully the person who will be responsible for hiring future talent. This person is a representation of your company's values, vision and culture.

Is this person qualified to be interviewing potential employees? Do they have enough experience to play a role in hiring new team members?

Word spreads fast if qualified candidates have a bad experience, especially if that person hiring isn't qualified to be part of the hiring process and/or does a poor job representing your company.

Maybe your business isn't growing or your talent pool is lacking because the person you placed at the frontline of talent acquisition was the wrong person.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this role? (Reminder, they reached out to me and did not share what the actual role was.)   Answer Question

Business Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I feel like a lot of the reviews here are unfair, as they take certain things out of context and blow them out of proportion. The interview process is indeed long and involved, but, conclusively, it's up to you whether you choose to go through it or not. You can stop the interview process at any time, and it was ultimately their choice to continue with it.

Phone Screening
    I applied online and was contacted for a phone screening interview, where they asked me to walk them through my resume and how my different experiences could contribute to the role.

1st Round Interview
    Upon arrival, I was presented with a case study interview, where I was asked to dissect a possible growth strategy through a platform solution with a potential client (reading their Modern Monopolies book is crucial for this). Aftewards, I was interviewed by all team members 1-on-1.

2nd Round Interview
    I was given a week to complete an assignment and presented it to them in the second round. As long as you have the skills they asked for in the job description, this shouldn't be difficult to accomplish at all.

Overall, the interview process required a significant amount of extra work and time, which is understandably why perhaps many of the naysayers here complain about Applico's interview process. But that's what working at a startup is about, isn't it? You're either willing to invest the time because you believe in a startup's mission, or you aren't. No one there was unfriendly or unprofessional, and the people there are just hustling to get work done without the titles and bureaucracy. Don't believe everything you hear on this site.

Software Engineer, Mobile Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Applico.

Interview

Arranged the interview over email. Interviewer was 20 minutes late and visibly stressed. Moody and uninviting (even took a crack at my name). The technical questions were trivial and involved knowing specific object hierarchies. For the one open ended question he asked me, he didn't like my answer but couldn't verbalize exactly why. Took my information for a second interview but haven't heard back. Hands down the worst interview I have ever sat through.

Interview Questions

• Object hierarchy for specific button in an API   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The first thing was a phone call that talked about the position. I was told to come into an in-person interview, which I did. I was asked some basic questions about things on my resume, and told that I would have a more in-depth interview the next time I came in. One week later, I came in for the second round. Apparently no one told the people who needed to interview me that I was coming in today, so I waited for about 25 extra minutes only to be told by the person who was busy doing something else that he'll spend around 5 minutes with me. After him, I got to talk to three other employees there from different departments. I basically reiterated my resume a bunch of times and was asked some general questions by one the guys there. They were all very nice. I had been told that if I did well on this interview, I would be getting the offer soon afterwards. I did eventually get a compensation amount, which I said I would be happy to take. However, after this: crickets. I tried to reaching out multiple times- nothing. It was extremely unprofessional. There had been many things leading up to this moment that led me to believe Applico was mismanaged and poor at communicating, from the long reply times to the interview itself, but this just solidified to me that this company is having a very hard time being organized.

Interview Questions

• What things would you implement into a platform business?   Answer Question

Business Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

A highly unprofessional group of narcissists. All negative reviews are true. And all the positive ones are written in the same style, by same person/people. Take a notice. After going through a screening interview, Google Hangouts call and completing an assignment, and discussing that assignment, I then had an in-person interview with 4 of their team members, including the CEO. One of the interviewers didn't know which position I'm interviewing for. Another one took me through a series of problem-solving questions, which was basically a brainstorming session that they could use for their clients. A couple of times that interviewer had mentioned that EVEN HE would have a difficult time with some of these questions without data, etc. Not very humble. Overall the office looked empty and everyone was very depressed. After I left I never heard back from them. I've followed up twice, but they didn't respond. And considering that they don't do anything useful there anyway, even a short rejection note would've been appropriate. I've spent a month interviewing with them and had done a lot of free work. Don't waste your time!

Interview Questions

• What would be an appropriate growth strategy for company X?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applico.

Interview

An extremely unprofessional experience.

Received an invitation to complete a home assignment on a Product exploration within 3 business days.
    I researched the product and shared my opinions.
    Received an invitation to connect with applico's operations controller.
    And then I hear about location thing, if I can make a personal trip to NY for in-person interview. This should have been the first concern if applico doesn't support remote interviews or doesn't accomodate travel.
    I have never encountered such unprofessional experience with no respect of other persons time, asking for ideas on a time consuming assignment and then making suggestion for a personal trip.

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Matched on Angellist. They reached out for an initial call. Jumped right into typical interview questions for a product role, not much of an introduction or description of the role. Next day heard things went well and was asked to fill out a questionnaire after reading some articles and trying an app. Was then told things went well and was put in touch with an operations person who solely wanted to know compensation expectations. Never heard back, even after following up with the original interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Download this app and give us your impressions/what would you improve.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Applico in July 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen, followed by a behavioral interview with hiring manager and then a take home exercise; then there was a technical discussion with a fellow team member to talk through my resume and discuss about platforms. Finally, there was an hour long Google hangout session with the CEO to discuss in detail about platforms and go through a case study about an example.

Interview Questions

• What are platform? Let's review the business model of hotelstonight.com... what are the basics for the platform? how was this platform built using basic tools?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I went into the office and met with the marketing manager in the conference room. Very laid-back interview. He asked a lot about everything on my resume and I had to explain in-depth. Overall, very friendly interview process, nothing too intimidating or any really difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Q: Run me through your experiences.
      Q: Tell me about a time when you had to deal with conflicts while working in a team.
      Q: What is a platform?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Applico (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial questionnaire, very thorough
    Questionnaire is the first step they test your written and research skills
    Next was a Google hangout session with a Product Manager
    Easy questions, the company is a startup, no fancy dressing up required
    As an intern, the level of questioning is fairly average, I was very well prepped regarding their website and previous clients
    The company is highly based off platforms, so do your homework
    Job offer within a week