AvalonBay Communities Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 25, 2018

2.7

Maintenance Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Boston, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

one and a half hrs
    inside model apartment customer service oriented question
    meet with the service manager we discussed many of what Avalon bay offers
    some of the benefits 401 k stock options
    some of the shifts offered

Community Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I went to the Mission Bay location on Hiring Day. Talked to the general manager - ab. 15 minutes - who was very friendly and extremely helpful. Liked my resume and promised me to share it with the other locations in SF and she did. Got a call 6 days later to go in to another location for an interview the next day.

The interview went well, but the manager had concerns because I have too much experience for an entry level role but zero industry-specific experience. He was also friendly, helpful and professional. Answered every question I asked - and I had a lot - so it lasted about an hour. He had 4-5 other candidates and promised that he would call the one he chooses the end of next week. I sent a thank you note / follow-up email a couple hour later, didn't get an answer. Also It wasn't me who got the call.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to solve a problem as part of a team.   Answer Question
    • What is one of your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a potential customer asked you a question but you didn't know the answer?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever found yourself facing an ethical dilemma?   Answer Question

Community Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had a Phone interview after I applied online, then an in person interview, followed by another in person interview with manager. Then phone call with offer. Pretty straight forward process. Had typical background check and drug test before start date.

Leasing Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities.

Interview

I interviewed at one location back in 2017. I didn't hear anything post interview but was contacted in early 2018 from another manager. I went in to meet with two of my bosses and had a pleasant and exciting experience. I was asked typical questions and really loved the feedback they were able to give me regarding my questions. Both were so nice and informative and I was happy to join a team where both my community manager and location manager were women. Went well, got a tour after, was very pleased with the experience.

Interview Questions

• Where was I looking to go with this job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Northborough, MA) in January 2018.

Interview

Interviewed for this company twice in one month for 2 different locations. Horrible follow up. Waited over a month to get no response from one location, and waited over a week for an email follow up just to be told I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask many questions. Mostly just talked about the company and the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

I was interviewed at an open house by one of the regional hiring managers. The wait time to interview was less than 10 minutes. You'll be asked to fill out an application, but they'll still tell you to submit your information online.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you received bad customer service and what you would have done differently?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities.

Interview

Call from HR talking about the position which lasted 10 minutes. The job was only temporary and they are not looking for a permanent position at this time. The lady was nice and she seemed genuinely interested in the job and what the company has to offer.

Sales and Service Supervisor Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities.

Interview

I went to the career fair, and was greeted by the staff. Property was very nice and the leasing office was beautiful. I had a brief informal interview with a director- we discussed my experience and why I was applying. She sent me to an LA property to meet with the community manager the same day. The second interview was more operational and nitty gritty, we toured the property and talked openly. It went well. That night I was called by the community manager and instructed to apply to the position online and that I was seriously being considered for the position. My thoughts were it was a home run. A few days pass and I was called to interview with another manager at a different property. This third meeting was completely operational & situational. She was extremely professional and it was a fine experience. I thought all interviews went very well.
    A few days later I received a call and they tried to offer me a different position- which I ultimately declined.

Leasing Consultant Interview

Interview

got called in after applying online, the interview process was a simple 20 minute q&a with the presiding regional hiring manager. she was nice and asked simple questions about my interests and background.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Arlington, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was long and thorough. I applied and heard back from a recruiter within 2 weeks. I had about a 35 minute conversation with recruiter. Our conversation covered my work history, a question about what I like about the procurement field, and a question about a time that I had a problem in the workplace and how I mitigated that problem. I heard back from the recruiter about setting up a time to talk with the manager within 5 days. Conversation with the manager took about 40 minutes. She talked about the position in much more depth and had me discuss what aspects in my past I thought were relevant to this position, instead of going through my entire job history. She told me I would hear back from the recruiter shortly with next steps. Within 5 days, the recruiter reached back out and gave me some scheduling options to come in for an in person interview. After this interview was scheduled, she gave me a detailed itinerary of the 6 people I would be talking with and told me to expect the interview to take about 2 hours. This interview took about 3 1/2 hours! I met with the person who would be my manager and the director of the department, then I met with a single team member, then 2 team members at once who were currently in my role, then one more single team member, and then back to the original 2 people, the person who would be my manager and the director of the department. It was extremely thorough. I was asked very in depth situational questions such as, if you had to convince a vendor to give you a lower price, what tools would you use/what would you say to make this happen. What are some of the major aspects of a vendor contract? (Warranty information, length of the contract, etc.) What would you say to a functional department head to convince them to let procurement help with their purchases that they currently do within the department? What actions would you take to ensure a successful vendor management relationship? And many more critical thinking questions. I felt good about my responses given that I did not have direct procurement experience and I truly learned more about procurement in those 3 and a half hours than I had in the past 3 years! My interview was on a Tuesday and I heard back on Friday from the person who would be my manager about joining her for lunch next week. I thought this was odd, and maybe they like to give offers in person. Nope, after an hour and a half lunch, no offer, but my meal was paid for and she said I should hear back from the recruiter shortly. She wanted to hear my feedback about what I thought of the position, interview, company, and team members and what my greatest worry was about the position, the rest of lunch was just general chit chat and getting to know each other. This was on a Tuesday and I heard from the recruiter on Thursday, requesting 2 or 3 professional references. I responded same day, and received a call the following Monday with a job offer! Such a thorough interview made me even happier once I found out I earned a place on the team. Overall, I learned that AvalonBay invests a lot to make sure you are the right fit for the job and the company and is not worried about turning you down once money has been invested, they just want the right person, no matter what the cost, which makes you and your success feel even better and you know you are joining an amazing and intelligent workforce.

Interview Questions

• If you had to convince a vendor to give you a lower price, what tools would you use/what would you say to make this happen?   Answer Question
    • What are some of the major aspects of a vendor contract?   1 Answer
    • What would you say to a functional department head to convince them to let procurement help with their purchases that they currently do within the department?   Answer Question