AvalonBay Communities Interview Questions | Glassdoor

AvalonBay Communities Interview Questions

Updated Jan 17, 2018

2.7

Leasing Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities.

Interview

I interviewed at one location back in 2017. I didn't hear anything post interview but was contacted in early 2018 from another manager. I went in to meet with two of my bosses and had a pleasant and exciting experience. I was asked typical questions and really loved the feedback they were able to give me regarding my questions. Both were so nice and informative and I was happy to join a team where both my community manager and location manager were women. Went well, got a tour after, was very pleased with the experience.

Interview Questions

• Where was I looking to go with this job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

I was interviewed at an open house by one of the regional hiring managers. The wait time to interview was less than 10 minutes. You'll be asked to fill out an application, but they'll still tell you to submit your information online.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you received bad customer service and what you would have done differently?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities.

Interview

Call from HR talking about the position which lasted 10 minutes. The job was only temporary and they are not looking for a permanent position at this time. The lady was nice and she seemed genuinely interested in the job and what the company has to offer.

Sales and Service Supervisor Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities.

Interview

I went to the career fair, and was greeted by the staff. Property was very nice and the leasing office was beautiful. I had a brief informal interview with a director- we discussed my experience and why I was applying. She sent me to an LA property to meet with the community manager the same day. The second interview was more operational and nitty gritty, we toured the property and talked openly. It went well. That night I was called by the community manager and instructed to apply to the position online and that I was seriously being considered for the position. My thoughts were it was a home run. A few days pass and I was called to interview with another manager at a different property. This third meeting was completely operational & situational. She was extremely professional and it was a fine experience. I thought all interviews went very well.
    A few days later I received a call and they tried to offer me a different position- which I ultimately declined.

Leasing Consultant Interview

Interview

got called in after applying online, the interview process was a simple 20 minute q&a with the presiding regional hiring manager. she was nice and asked simple questions about my interests and background.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Arlington, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was long and thorough. I applied and heard back from a recruiter within 2 weeks. I had about a 35 minute conversation with recruiter. Our conversation covered my work history, a question about what I like about the procurement field, and a question about a time that I had a problem in the workplace and how I mitigated that problem. I heard back from the recruiter about setting up a time to talk with the manager within 5 days. Conversation with the manager took about 40 minutes. She talked about the position in much more depth and had me discuss what aspects in my past I thought were relevant to this position, instead of going through my entire job history. She told me I would hear back from the recruiter shortly with next steps. Within 5 days, the recruiter reached back out and gave me some scheduling options to come in for an in person interview. After this interview was scheduled, she gave me a detailed itinerary of the 6 people I would be talking with and told me to expect the interview to take about 2 hours. This interview took about 3 1/2 hours! I met with the person who would be my manager and the director of the department, then I met with a single team member, then 2 team members at once who were currently in my role, then one more single team member, and then back to the original 2 people, the person who would be my manager and the director of the department. It was extremely thorough. I was asked very in depth situational questions such as, if you had to convince a vendor to give you a lower price, what tools would you use/what would you say to make this happen. What are some of the major aspects of a vendor contract? (Warranty information, length of the contract, etc.) What would you say to a functional department head to convince them to let procurement help with their purchases that they currently do within the department? What actions would you take to ensure a successful vendor management relationship? And many more critical thinking questions. I felt good about my responses given that I did not have direct procurement experience and I truly learned more about procurement in those 3 and a half hours than I had in the past 3 years! My interview was on a Tuesday and I heard back on Friday from the person who would be my manager about joining her for lunch next week. I thought this was odd, and maybe they like to give offers in person. Nope, after an hour and a half lunch, no offer, but my meal was paid for and she said I should hear back from the recruiter shortly. She wanted to hear my feedback about what I thought of the position, interview, company, and team members and what my greatest worry was about the position, the rest of lunch was just general chit chat and getting to know each other. This was on a Tuesday and I heard from the recruiter on Thursday, requesting 2 or 3 professional references. I responded same day, and received a call the following Monday with a job offer! Such a thorough interview made me even happier once I found out I earned a place on the team. Overall, I learned that AvalonBay invests a lot to make sure you are the right fit for the job and the company and is not worried about turning you down once money has been invested, they just want the right person, no matter what the cost, which makes you and your success feel even better and you know you are joining an amazing and intelligent workforce.

Interview Questions

• If you had to convince a vendor to give you a lower price, what tools would you use/what would you say to make this happen?   Answer Question
    • What are some of the major aspects of a vendor contract?   1 Answer
    • What would you say to a functional department head to convince them to let procurement help with their purchases that they currently do within the department?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (San Jose, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process is just like most, I applied and then followed up with a call a few days after applying to see the status of my application. Management reached out to schedule an interview about a week after i applied. I went in for the interview at the community i applied for. The staff was welcoming and friendly. I waited a bit in the lounge for the manager and then interviewed. While interview took about 30+ minutes and then i was told manage t would be in contact with me by a certain date with the update on my possible employment status. Got a call a few days later and was offered the position and accepted immediately. Did the background and drug screening within the next couple of days and started about 1 1/2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the typical “what would you do in a certain situation” questions. I was also asked questions about my work attitude and work style as well as how i handle stressful or challenging situations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Simple interviews, but application process was lengthy. I applied for every LC position in my area for 7 months, and attended 4 in person interviews before finally being offered a position. I received a call the day after the offer by my Avalon recruiter apologizing for the delay, and how every interviewed position I went to was given to someone internally, but every location loved me and added great notes to my profile!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were in a position to give negative news or news that the other person didn’t want to hear. How did you approach the topic and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Virginia Beach, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

This was extensive. An initial screening interview, then several interviews with different levels of management. They are looking for not only competency, but a good cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Attitude. The positive attitude is very important to the culture. So many questions about how one deals with problems, coworkers, management, etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter to see if I had any interest in an open position that they felt I may be a potential fit for. I had a phone screen shortly after the Recruiter reached out. The next week I was set up for another phone screen with a different level of management. After that phone screen, I was told I would receive an update a week after the phone screen was completed. Two weeks passed, without any update from the Recruiter. I reached out and received word that I was still in consideration, but the manager was unexpectedly out for several days which is why I never received an update. Four more weeks went by and I didn't receive another update. Once again, I reached out to the Recruiter to find out that the position no longer existed. I was very disappointed in the lack of communication. I don't feel as though I should have to continually reach out to a recruiter for an update, they should keep you update throughout the entire interviewing process. I felt completely disregarded and forgotten about. This served as a severely negative candidate experience.