AvalonBay Communities Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Community Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (New York, NY) in July 2018.

Interview

2 different locations - both called first for a 5-10 minute introduction and to set up formal interview --> formal interview was over skype or on location with that location's manager --> follow up interview was with regional managers

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time a resident was being a challenging or a time when you had to deliver unpleasant information to a resident   Answer Question

Community Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process started out well enough, with the interviewer telling me that he would be back to me within four days to let me know if I was still being considered, or if they passed on me. Two weeks and several emails from me later, I've heard nothing. They talk a good game, but they practice the typical corporate B.S. I wonder if this type of avoidance is also done with their tenants. This type of behavior tends to be consistent across stakeholder groups.

Interview Questions

• None. Typical "tell me about yourself" interview.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Arlington, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

They called to do phone screening, after which we scheduled an in-person interviewed. I interviewed with the Sales Manager and the General Manager and was hired on the spot. To be honest, I may be an outlier because I had read up on AvalonBay, loved what I read and was very excited for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time when you have a lot on your plate (paraphrasing)?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you would be the best candidate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Orange, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, interviewed with a Community Manager at a sister community, then the Community Manager of the property at which I'd be employed, then the Assistant Manager, Community Manager and POD for the final

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was called by and HR representative within a few days of applying. After a brief phone interview, I was contacted by the Community Supervisor from the community that was hiring. It was two calls before I was asked to do an interview in person. I was interviewed by the Community Supervisor and General Manager

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I had a Phone interview after I applied online, then an in person interview, followed by another in person interview with manager. Then phone call with offer. Pretty straight forward process. Had typical background check and drug test before start date.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

The process takes forever! It took 2 months for me to actually get hired. I applied in Dec. and started in mid Feb. I interviewed 3 times in total.
    1. Phone interview (not with a community manager)
    2. Panel interview at the corporate office there were 2 community managers present along with a Portfolio Director.
    3.Final was with the Sales and service Supervisor at the community in which I was being hired.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest experience that I have had working in customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

2 interviews: One over the phone and one in-person or via Skype with 2 managers. Normal questions were asked. I was allowed to ask questions about the current team and property when done. I really felt that the manager I interviewed with cared and was genuine. They were even willing to do a Skype interview since I moved from out of state.

Interview Questions

• How would handle a customer service issue?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I went to the Mission Bay location on Hiring Day. Talked to the general manager - ab. 15 minutes - who was very friendly and extremely helpful. Liked my resume and promised me to share it with the other locations in SF and she did. Got a call 6 days later to go in to another location for an interview the next day.

The interview went well, but the manager had concerns because I have too much experience for an entry level role but zero industry-specific experience. He was also friendly, helpful and professional. Answered every question I asked - and I had a lot - so it lasted about an hour. He had 4-5 other candidates and promised that he would call the one he chooses the end of next week. I sent a thank you note / follow-up email a couple hour later, didn't get an answer. Also It wasn't me who got the call.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to solve a problem as part of a team.   Answer Question
    • What is one of your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a potential customer asked you a question but you didn't know the answer?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever found yourself facing an ethical dilemma?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at AvalonBay Communities in September 2010.

Interview

I submitted application with no contact. I followed up on application to find that position was filled but I was immediately offered an interview for another property and had a pretty immediate second interview with job offer.