BBC Web Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

BBC Web Developer Interview Questions

3.3

3 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in March 2013.

Interview

About a month after applying online for the position I was emailed to say I'd gotten through to the next step of the interview process, a technical challenge. The challenger was fairly open with regards requirements to be fun but small enough in scope for just a couple of hours work and beautifying. About 2 weeks after submission I passed to the next stage, interviews.

Booking the slot online was a bonus as it gave me a bit of freedom, but then there weren't many slots so it cancelled itself out a little there.

The interview was great, I travelled from quite far, but those interviewing made it clear they appreciated it. We got along really well right from the start and beginning with a small technical challenge was a nice change from other interviews. It took around 20 minutes of planning and prototyping, plus 10 minutes talking through it with the interviewers to explain my methods. There was then around 45 minutes of questions varying from technical, to team orientated, to interpersonal skills types.

It was only a week after the interview when I received an offer. Although I was one of the last interviewees. I was offered the Junior Developer position due to my lack of experience, with the appropriate drop in expected salary, but this was completely valid for my situation.

Interview Questions

• What type of design patterns do you make use of?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fairly slow. Almost a week for a single negotiation turn around.

Other Interview Reviews for BBC

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BBC (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Submitted the application online and waited for a month to get a phone call from HR "we... ... ... ... (6 sec pause) would like to bring you forward". Received email detailing the names of the panel but did not mention the interview format etc. Attended the interview but arrived early, had to wait at the lobby outside the security entry to the building and watch over 500+ people walked in and out.

Started with a 1.5 hour skill test - supposed to work together with the interviewer as your peer. Did most of the core bit, but with some help from the interviewer (I think you are supposed to ask for help and this is the concept of peering)

Followed by a 2:1 interview with 10+ standard scenario competence questions. Evidence of this and evidence of that. Pretty standard.

Received the rejection email 2 weeks later.

Have really no idea what do they really expect from a junior web developer. I was aiming for the more senior role before submitting the application as I believed I was surely more than qualified for this. Never mind, they are the people to make the call and sometimes you will have to just accept this.

Disappointed, really.

Interview Questions

• write a javascript one page web app to simulate "Conway's Game of Life"   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BBC (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2011.

Interview

Very formulaic. Questions were extremely open and very heavy. Very much a scoring process rather than a general feel kind of interview. Interviewers all very nice and empathetic towards the fact that the interview was set up this way. Questions included probing about past experience, examples of work etc. and larger, overall BBC heavy questions about the brand, challenges it faces etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Had to negotiate with Capita HR