Betterment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Betterment Interview Questions

Interviews at Betterment

2.8

Analytics Engineer Interview

Interview

phone screen, chat with hiring manager, sql exercise, final round part 1 which is technical -- sql, python, and product discussion with a PM. final round part 2 is behavioral with the head of analytics and analytics manager.

Good, solid interview process. However upon rejection, it's very unfortunate to hear that the team can't comment on why or provide any feedback.

Interview Questions

• sql, python, thinking about the interplay between data and product, how to effectively enable analytics in an org   Answer Question

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Betterment (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

Firstly, keep in mind that on Betterment's blog site, they have a post about how they go about the interview process, and in my experience, they followed that process they describe online almost exactly. Read that, and you should have a good idea of what to expect.

1) I applied online through AngelList, I think; maybe LinkedIn?
    2) Internal recruiter emailed to set up a phone screen largely focused on basic technical background and some personal position-fit questions re: what I'm looking for, my priorities, etc.
    3) Within 3-4 days they had me complete a take-home coding challenge that consisted of a written design portion and the completion of an existing Android project. This part happened through the Byteboard platform, which worked pretty well.
    4) They reached back out to set up a day full of on-site interviews, consisting of three pair programming sessions in the morning and 3 interviews (one with a PM and designer, one with an executive, and one with an engineering manager) in the afternoon, separated by an "AMA" lunch with a few other employees, which was pretty cool.
    5) The one departure from the process in their blog post is that they had me come back the next week to reinterview (just a few hours of non-technical stuff; much shorter than the other one) with a more specific group of people from the team that I'd be joining. Got an offer a few days later.

Throughout the process, the technical recruiter, who was the guide through the whole thing, was very clear about timing expectations, and next steps.

The things that other people say here about being surprised to be asked about Ruby, wasn't the case for me. They didn't mention anything about Ruby ahead of time, and I didn't get any questions about Ruby. Everything I had to deal with technically, they gave me a heads up about, and there was nothing that wasn't directly related to Android development in Kotlin.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview portions were all pretty standard Android development in Kotlin. If you know your stuff you should be fine. I learned RxJava like 2 weeks earlier, and that was definitely helpful.

Non-technical portions mainly focused on my past and personality. They really are looking for good culture-fit; that's a huge part of their focus. They want collaborative people driven to help each other and the users.   Answer Question

Interview

Enjoyed the interview process. Compared to other companies, it wasn't focused on Algorithm questions or big O. However, it was mostly on implementing new features and pairing with other engineers to improve the code.

Acquisition Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Betterment.

Interview

I had a phone screen with a recently appointed marketing director and someone from HR.

I came away far from impressed with both interviewers, who made it apparent they were pretty new to the job and had difficulty navigating through the conversation. A lot of rambling, no substance, and a lack of the even most basic questions you would want to ask a candidate.

Acquisition Marketing Manager Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Betterment in September 2019.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and an internal recruiter reached out to me to schedule a phone screen.

The initial screen was with the hiring manager. They asked standard questions about my background and experience, why I was interested in Betterment, etc. I actually enjoyed speaking with them during the half hour call. They were newly appointed as Director and seemed to be navigating this new role.

The following week, I had a follow up call with the recruiter who also asked me basic questions my background. They sounded extremely tired and uninterested in me overall. They then tried to corner me to give a salary expectation. I pushed back and said I'd like to get more knowledge about the role and expectations, which I didn't have much info about. The recruiter seemed to be taken aback by this and insisted I provided a number. I gave them a range and then they immediately told me that it's higher than the salary they had budgeted.

Personally, I hate when companies do this when they can just be up front about the salary. Anyway, the recruiter then mentioned company benefits and the next steps in the hiring process should they move forward (in person interviews, case assignment, etc.)

I didn't hear back after that. A few weeks later, I received a generic rejection letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Betterment (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

Phone call + take home test prior to onsite. Tour of the office + on-site pair programming after successful take home. Their office is ok-ish.

Take home test was easy and you were allowed to do it in a language of your choosing. In person pair programming was in Ruby only.

Failed after the onsite interview because apparently my tech skills weren't "up to par."

This part will come off as if I'm full of myself, but my tech skills are fine. I aced all my other onsite interviews and I currently have two offers from FAANG companies and a handful of offers from some other startups.

Betterment, I like your company and I will continue using your products, but your onsite interview isn't a test of tech skills, it's a test of Ruby knowledge.

I get it, maybe you only want to hire people who know Ruby and that's fine, however you shouldn't waste other people's time. You should follow GitLab's example and make Ruby a requirement if you're going to continue your practice of having an onsite where Ruby is the only allowed language.

I recommend going back to LC style questions in the interview or at least have a couple of mock projects ready in several languages similar to the take home test. Alternatively, stick to only interviewing candidates who know Ruby.

Interview Questions

• Onsite they give you a mock project where you have to complete the requirements. If you don't know Ruby + rails, don't bother since it's the only language you're allowed to work with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Betterment (New York, NY).

Interview

Really good! Was able to accommodate and expedite the process relative to my timeline. The take home and both onsite interview questions were not arbitrary but very practical and relevant to what I'd actually be working on. Recruiter was great in connecting me with more engineers and managers to get more insight onto the role and culture.

Interview Questions

• Complete a pair programming exercise consisting of some starter code and finishing out a key function.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Betterment (New York, NY) in May 2019.

Interview

3 step process for me:
    1) Phone screen about the company
    2) Small take home problem, mostly about correctly reading requirements and providing an implementation. Took about an hour or two total.
    3) 6 hour onsite. 2 Technical interviews, followed by an AMA style lunch and then behavioral interviews for the rest of the day.

Overall, the process was great. Technical problems really felt more like they were grounded more in learning your thought process and general development style. Everyone was very open about what they thought about the company and about what their experience at the company was like.

It also really felt like the company was working in good faith the entire process and I definitely took notice.

Interview Questions

• Explain previous projects
      Given requirements and interface, provide an implementation
      Given requirements, explain how one may model some data   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Betterment in March 2019.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on Linkedin, first step was a call with a director of engineer to get a feel for what company was working on, then a two hour online coding and problem solving test administered through ByteBoard.

In person interviews were a pair of their engineers at a time asking a pretty collaborative question with some white board designing and then coding on a laptop. They seemed to really make a lot of effort to ensure the interview process is meaningful reflection of the skills they want.

overall positive experience

Interview Questions

• Collaborative coding assignment to re-balance a portfolio allocation   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Betterment.

Interview

I applied online. Got the first interview in about 3 weeks. Total of 6 interviews (phone and in person)
    Their goal is to test you on your collaboration skills (as well as technical skill). You will work with an interviewer for a pair programming experience.

Interview Questions

• From a list of strings, print them out in groups that are anagrams of each other.   Answer Question