Big 5 Sporting Goods Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 25, 2018

1.8

Sort:

Corporate Office Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods.

Interview

Fit questions. Questions about your work experience and why you would be a good person to work with, internship was useful but a lot of data input and tedious work.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pico Rivera, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Pico Rivera, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Easy general questions the interview went great and was told I would get a call in 4 days but that call never came. Manager was clear to tell me they could only offer me a few hours and that the pay was minimum wage. Was pretty simple the manager was nice the assistant manager was also in the room. Questions where irrelevant at times but overall a good interview he ran out of questions to ask me.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? What's your availability?   Answer Question

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Riverside, CA).

Interview

After applying online/paper you will be called in for a math skills test, (Pre-algebra and elementary math), as well as to turn in proof of education. (No proof, no job). If passed, you'll be escorted to an interview. Interview questions were basic such as why do you want to work here. What did you do before? etc.

They perform a very rigorous background (you'll know why once your hired).
    If all goes well you'll then be called for a drug and physical test (lift test)

They, at least in the inland empire region, hire in groups and you'll wait at least 3 weeks plus.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. Why do you want to work here? What did you do before? Etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set salary for all. They are union as well.

Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Petaluma, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

I had to take a math test and the interview was very short. The math test was only about 5 minutes and very simple. I also had to be 18 years old and do a background check because the store sells firearms.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed and casual (within reason). They made it as painless as possible to interview and apply. The issues are mostly from their online applications (it can be buggy) and the amount of paperwork they need for a background check.

Interview Questions

• Do you have prior work experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Bakersfield, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was a more 'get to know you' approach. The questions were mostly about myself and what I did prior to working there. I was hired on the spot and not asked any hard thought out questions. The interview seemed like just a screening to make sure I was a decent person who was able to work with people and hold a professional manner. There was not much to the interview but questions for the hiring manager to get to know me and my schedule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to work for this company? What is your availability?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Manager was open to working with my schedule as a student.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied and the next day, I got a call from the manager wanting to set up an appointment for the day after. Brief, not a lot of questions asked. Seemed like a lot of people quit and they were desperate for anyone. Few questions asked- mostly about availability, outdoor activities. Nothing major.

Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Alameda, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

the interview process was super simple! all the manager asked was my availability and when i would be able to start. i think they were in need of workers because this one of the most straight foward interviews ive ever had. i was hired on the spot and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• how many hours a week are you looking to work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The manager called and gave me a phone interview, then told me to come to an in person interview the next day. The interview was easy and the manager made me feel comfortable by giving me information about himself and how he started as a part timer. After a couple questions, I got hired on the spot!

Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Chino, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Big 5 allows for walk-in inquiries for employment. Typically they have signs in front that boldly says "Now Hiring." I came in the evening when the general manager at the time was there and he was very friendly and asked about my background. Within the week I was interviewed by another manager and head cashier. They asked questions in regard to my background and experience with sales. I received a phone call by the end of the week offering employment. The interview was a bit intimidating but overall satisfactory of the company's mission and expectations. There's a lot of paperwork to fill out but typical for a franchise business.

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of what I would sell along side certain sports merchandise. For example, an entire list of what I would sell to someone buying baseball gloves.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't get the opportunity to negotiate but it was a part-time gig and minimum wage is the norm.