Big 5 Sporting Goods Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 30, 2017

1.8

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Sacramento, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied on indeed.com was contacted for the interview a couple of days later for a face to face withe store manager. The second interview was with the District Manager.

Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Redlands, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very easy. I went into a small room in the back with the manager of the store I was interviewing at, (The store I was applying to was not built yet but they were hiring early), we then sat down and he asked me some questions about my schooling, (I had no work experience), and he asked some questions about certain things on my application like about certain sports that I said I do, and other things like why I want to work there, and for the most part of the interview he explained that I would be working at the new store and that they are hiring early to get the training done, etc. They basically are just looking for someone who has no problem speaking out, and presenting a friendly attitude. He said afterwords that he would call me on Friday, and so he did.

Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Fairfield, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got a call next day. I was pretty much scheduled for two interviews and required to provide personal sensitive information after the 2nd interview, the process was fairly quick. after I got hired!

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Vallejo, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Had the Interview when the store was Closed, walked into a very small Cramped office, sat down spoke about the job position and what it entails, asked about a few of my previous work experience. Didn't ask anything about sports asked if I had any questions asked a few of my own, talked about family and commuting and what not.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to commute? If Hired if you're promoted you'll most likely have to switch stores   1 Answer
    • Can you bring in proof of every employment you have on your resume, and bring in your Diploma?   1 Answer

Order Filler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Riverside, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Filled out an online application and was called about 2 weeks later to do a math test. If you pass the math test, you get interviewed immediately after. If you pass the interview, they will offer you the job and say that they want to hire you. Drug tests and physical tests are scheduled and you wait for the confirmation call from them about your orientation date, which takes about 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Asked about previous employment and clarified a few points on my application. What my goals are in life. How Big 5 will be able to help achieve or hinder those goals. They didn't really ask those typical interview questions that you may be used to.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied and the next day, I got a call from the manager wanting to set up an appointment for the day after. Brief, not a lot of questions asked. Seemed like a lot of people quit and they were desperate for anyone. Few questions asked- mostly about availability, outdoor activities. Nothing major.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Glendale, CA).

Interview

I was called in and asked the typical interview questions alongside my knowledge of sports. Overall it was a very normal process although I noticed some hesitancy when asked my previous wage, after that the interview was uncomfortable. The manager never made eye contact which from the start made the interview awkward but also did not distill any confidence in actually wanting the job.

Ware House Assc Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods in May 2017.

Interview

A Basic Math "Speed & Accuracy Test" given; cannot skip or leave answers blank, counts against you. Then a very vague like employee-to-future employee sit down interview, primarily consisting of ..."Tell me about yourself..."
    Said it will be within two weeks for Final Job Offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around work availability.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Portland, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed and casual (within reason). They made it as painless as possible to interview and apply. The issues are mostly from their online applications (it can be buggy) and the amount of paperwork they need for a background check.

Interview Questions

• Do you have prior work experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Big 5 Sporting Goods (Alameda, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

the interview process was super simple! all the manager asked was my availability and when i would be able to start. i think they were in need of workers because this one of the most straight foward interviews ive ever had. i was hired on the spot and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• how many hours a week are you looking to work?   1 Answer