BlueWave Computing Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BlueWave Computing

2.5

Sort:

Assistant Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing in February 2015.

Interview

The tech screening consisted of around 20 questions. The interviewer was quite friendly. The questions did included nothing exceptional, they required basic knowledge of networking and computers. The 'Critical thinking' section had 3 questions out of which one I couldn't answer.

Interview Questions

• How do you divide a cake into 8 equal parts with not more that 3 slices?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing (Atlanta, GA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call to schedule a phone interview. Brought in a week or so later to meet with the managers for a short, informal, in-person interview. Christine, the HR interviewer, is quite friendly.

Interview Questions

• Really basic technical questions. What are the parts of a computer? What is the difference between HTTP and HTTPS? There were a couple brain teasers at the end as well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase for an internship position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Smyrna, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing (Smyrna, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

Everything went week. The interview was easy and went smooth. They have a broken computer and you have to fix it and they do not tell you what's wrong with it.

Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing (Smyrna, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. I was asked about my interests, tech abilities, etc. I feel like the interview was definitely based on personality, which completely makes sense. You can always teach tech skills, but you can't teach people skills.

Interview Questions

• You have a cake, and you can only cut it three times. How do you get six slices with 3 cuts?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

They ask you technical questions much more than behavioral questions

It really helps to have security or network plus. I would not suggest applying without certs due to too much competition.

If you know assembly and shellcode, refer to the sources you leaned it from if you don't have a cert that encompasses it like oscp.

Interview Questions

• What is a mac address   1 Answer
    • What do you want to do at bluewave?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing in November 2014.

Interview

process took 1 week, there was a technical phone interview, with lasted over 45mins, lots of technical stuff. RAID Qs, Microsoft SQL server Qs, VPN Qs, and what ports associate with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, DNS, IMAP, what protocol is used for PING?, and subnetting Qs. the subnetting Qs were not that hard but you definitely need to study them. NO SQL or JAVA Qs

BlueWave tech screen Qs were too broad its like what part do you focus on

Managing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing (Atlanta, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied on-line via another network several days after application submittal I got a phone call from recruiter for initial screening. They scheduled a over the phone tech screen that resulted in scheduling a in-person interview.

In person interview was a little un-coordinated, I met with an executive first who told me his story and the story of the company after the first phase we moved on to the interview with the technical staff that was made up of the recruiter, my direct manager and another member of the management team.

The in person interview was not very technical but very informative.

Total time for interview was 2 hours.

Team Lead Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing.

Interview

I was sent this position by a friend who works for this company. In the end the process took almost 8 weeks and ended in an offer that was not only below market value, but actually less than my current salary.

Pros: The company and people seem great. They appear to do a lot of activities for their employees, like baseball games, BBQ's, bowling nights, etc. The facilities are nice and have quite a few break rooms, even a kitchen. It really does seem like a nice place to work. It also seems like there is room for advancement as the company grows and an emphasis on training.

Cons: Benefits, Interview Process, and Offer

Benefits: Their benefits are very outdated. It seems like they were designed for the late 90s and more for entry level personnel.

Vacation: They offer only 2 weeks vacation, which doesn't start accruing until after 60 days. Most companies, even large and slow to change ones, offer a minimum of 3 weeks vacation. Some companies are offering 4 weeks or unlimited PTO.

Health: Their health benefits have the same 60 day waiting period. It almost feels like the policy is written to have you on a trial period. Besides the waiting period, the only plan they offer with a reasonable out of pocket maximum is almost $1000/month for a family. It is much more affordable if you are single.

401K: They offer a decent 401K. You'll find better at larger companies, but also worse at companies their size. There was no stock options or ownership mentioned, so I'm guessing its not part of their package.

Interview Process: The overall hiring process was very long. For me it took close to 7 weeks. I can't really pinpoint why it was so lengthy, but there were times where close to a week would pass before I would hear back from the recruiter. The interview process included a phone screen, 3 x 1 hour interviews (completed in an afternoon), and then a 1 hour interview with the VP of Operations. It also included an outdated programming test that seemed unnecessary for the position I was applying for. I also had dinner with the team I would have been working on. Which I am guessing is out of the norm. Overall I can say the process was long and had a few pain points, but the people I interviewed with seemed really great.

Offer: This was by far the most frustrating part. After 7 weeks I was given an offer that was a mere 5K over my current salary. Moreover, when you factor in one week less vacation time and health insurance that was twice what I currently pay, it was actually a pay cut. I wasn't sure if I should be frustrated, insulted, or both. It was like the recruiter didn't communicate my salary to them at the beginning of the application process. I declined the offer immediately and sent them in detail the salary and benefits I was hoping for. What I requested was still very reasonable and probably still under market value, but I was willing to take less because it really looked like a great place to work. In the end they declined to submit a counter.

Conclusion: The company appears to be in a massive growth phase right now, and in making those transitions it seems they haven't updated their policies or expectations to attract senior talent. As others have said, if you are a Senior professional, I cannot recommend applying. You will end up with a lot of wasted time, and then an offer that is far below the market value.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions will vary based on your background. If you are comfortable with what you have been doing and know where you want to go, you'll do fine.   Answer Question

When factoring in additional cost of health benefits and 1 week less vacation, they were actually asking me to take a pay cut to work there.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing (Raleigh, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of interview with the first being a screening phone round.
    After this had to fill some background information forms.
    The next was another phone chat with the HR.
    This whole process took a really long time during which I received another offer, hence did not pursue further.

Interview Questions

• Phone screening questions were based on Microsoft administration, networking basics including subnetting, http, https, port nos etc.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BlueWave Computing.

Interview

Not worth your time

Unless, of course, you have upwards of six months to spend on your job search.

It took six weeks to get a technical screen. Then it turned out I was given the WRONG tech screen so another month passed for the RIGHT tech screen.

A month after that I was asked to fill out a paper application that was 7 pages in length. By the time I finished I felt like a criminal. I was told to fill the entire thing out as the CEO reviews all applications and discards the ones with empty spaces. So in spite my better judgement, I answered the illegal questions that were included. Why were they illegal? Potential age discrimination.

It took another month before I was offered an interview. In the process of setting that up the HR representative changed the date and time from the original agreed upon arrangement and quickly went on vacation for a week just as she emailed that she had "lost" my application and background check (with incredibly sensitive information).

Upon arriving for my interview I was greeted warmly by name by the receptionist and had a great interview. What did stand out, however, was the lack of diversity and gender stereotypical roles. There was a female at the reception desk but only white males on the technical and management interview team.

It took another almost two weeks to be invited back for another interview, but in the process of scheduling that I was informed they needed to put the position "on hold". At this point I decided I was done. No longer interested in this company.

Overall, not a great experience for a company that has glowing reviews on this site. The HR process needs a significant audit, and a review of diversity wouldn't hurt before the EEOC shows up.

My advice to women and those of color in technical: not worth your time. It's a bunch of good looking good ole boys.

Interview Questions

BlueWave Computing Response

Jun 29, 2015 – Executive Vice President

This review has quite a few inaccuracies. First, this particular individual was interviewing for a very niche role and her skills were in an IT area that falls slightly outside of our core business... More