Booking.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017
1,044 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Booking.com.

Interview

1. Balanced parenthesis

Create function that will determine are the parenthesis balanced in a given string
    boolean isBalanced(string)

a(bcd)d => true
    (kjds(hfkj)sdhf => false
    (sfdsf)(fsfsf => false

{[]}() => true
    {[}] => false

Sort the content of the a file based on second field, e.g.

Input file:

Jaimy,11,F
    Janey,11,F
    Jervie,12,M
    Tony,23,M
    don’t worry about open file, close file etc

1Gb for memory but 4Gb for file

User Experience Designer (HTML/CSS) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Booking.com.

Interview

Quick code assessment, followed by screening call with a recruiter, followed by phone interview with two team members. The recruiter tries to anticipate what might be a challenge for you in the next round, and how to prepare. I was asked to present 3 ideas to improve the site, which seems like a lot for an interview. Seemed like I was doing well through the whole process until I received a rejection email after the phone interview. The reasons given for the rejection were a little vague and not reflective (in my opinion) of the work I presented. It was also surprising, given that the interviewers complimented my ideas as well as my technical ability. It gave the impression that they were just fishing for ideas to improve the site. I wouldn't be surprised to find the ideas I presented being implemented.

Interview Questions

• What if your change caused conversions to go down, and the data doesn't show why?   1 Answer

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Interview

Recruiter contacted me for screening interview. He had me select an appointment time within a two week block. I selected time and the recruiter then 'no call, no showed!" Sent follow up email and never received response.

Don't bother folks. The organization lacks professionalism.

User Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Booking.com (Remote, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online, was then contacted by mail scheduling a phone call. The first time, the recruiter just didn't call and also did not communicate why. I wrote her the next day, and he told that "they were busy" so she hadn't had time.

Then we rescheduled, and she again failed to call me at the correct time... This time she was about 40 minutes late after I send and email asking what was going on. Seemed very unproffesional.

In the phone interview she was super nice. When done, she told me I would hear from her tomorrow if I will continue the interview-process or not.

I didn't hear back until 13 days later...

Interview Questions

• - Why booking.com?
      - How do you feel about relocating to Amsterdam?
      - Tell me about your experience with User Research.
      - Why do you want to be in User Research?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Booking.com.

Interview

I applied online through glassdoor. Got a call for phone interview for 30-35 minutes. It was all pleasant. Mostly questions based on my experience, resume, etc. Then one on one interview. Interview was purely technical. After the interview I waited for their response.They never did.

Credit Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Booking.com (Orlando, FL) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted within days for a phone interview, then followed two in person interviews. The process was very quickly until the last interview. I was told I was going to be contacted regardless of the decision. I waited for a week and half until I had to reach out to the recruiter to then receive and email that the position was filled within. That is fine with me, the fact is that i felt ignored and unappreciated. I took time off from work to be present for the interviews, the least I could receive was the same treatment I received through the beginning of the interview process. The communication was great until the last moment, it was easier to just let me know i was not picked, not waiting until I had to reach out.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work here?
      Why should we hire you?
      What motivates you?
      What can you bring to booking.com?   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Interview

Recruiter was excellent and all the people I met were super nice.

But interview process was otherwise a bit unusual compared to other companies:
    - only 3 hours of interviews, from which to make a life-changing decision about whether to move around the world for a 70% pay cut vs. SF Bay Area tech companies. I didn't come away with confidence that this would be the right decision.
    - no opportunity to meet designers or data scientists (and sadly, the videos Booking has on YouTube did not make a positive impression of the design team's seniority/thought leadership)
    - a little concerned that so much of the "selling" process was on Amsterdam and not the quality of the opportunity at Booking. I didn't come away with a clear sense of what Booking really had to offer (vs., say, Spotify, which puts the opportunity first and living in Europe second.)
    - felt a little out-of-touch in key ways. No Silicon Valley tech company refers to its engineering team as "IT" - may be a bank would do that. Is Booking a real tech company? I never got an answer.
    - hard to gauge what day-to-day life would be at Booking as a researcher. What's a typical project? What interactions besides product owners?
    - does upper management care about customer experience beyond short-term metrics?
    - case study was a little weird, for asking to do a "blue ocean" assignment in a product space Booking has already taken on and abandoned.
    - oddly, they did not cover food or ground transportation while traveling there for interviewing (perhaps this is the norm in Europe?)

Interview Questions

• What's an example of a research project you would want to do for Booking?   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Booking.com in May 2017.

Interview

Went through a simple 20 minute online test and spoke with an HR recruiter. Despite the fact that I am a front end developer, I was being asked about metrics and analytics (not a word about their front end stack) by a non-tech recruiter who seemed way too confident in her appraisal capabilities.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what is our company's single most important metric?   3 Answers

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Booking.com (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I was emailed by a recruiter out on the west coast. After exchanging a couple different emails, We set set up a phone interview for an hour. When the day came, I received no phone call and no email stating why no one called. Extremely unprofessional. If this is any indication of how this company is run, then the recruiter did me a favor.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Booking.com in May 2017.

Interview

It was medium level coding online interview.
    Could not clear the system troubleshoot question but was able to solve algorithm based questions.
    Algorithm based questions were quite easy and I solved quickly but others I didn't know anything about those.

Interview Questions

• 1) There is a mysterious process running on the server, which is generating a secret message.
      Can you spot the message ?   Answer Question
    • A developer claims that his script is not being able to connect to auth web server in (one weblink) , but it works on a different server.
      You need to find out what could be happening and fix that   Answer Question
    • We just got informed that web server has been hacked !!
      The index page is showing a "pwned" message that we should revert
      Our monitoring checks report the message "Failed connect to localhost:80, Connection refused"
      But we have backup server of index file at path "some path" that you should restore to server's DocumentRoot file.   Answer Question