Bottle Rocket Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bottle Rocket Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Dallas, TX).

Interview

First contacted by the recruiter for a basic background overview. Then given a coding test for the platform (iOS/Android). You have to complete this test by a certain date. If the panel decides your project is good, you're invited to an interview at location. The interview consists of a general personality questions (culture fit, etc.). Then it progresses to a coding exercise where you will have to implement a certain data structure they've decided on. After that is the coding topic questions. The panel quizzes you on certain topics on the platform you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• Orientation changes, what is a class, interfaces vs abstract classes, data structures, app lifecycle, and mobile architecture   Answer Question

Senior Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Addison, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and told me to make a sample app with recycle view within 48 hours , I did it within 36 hours , they came back with some ridiculous marking.

Includes 4 json dependencies!, Included module that wraps simple-json.jar which is never used?: completely unnecessary as the Android framework includes the ,
    Lots of unused methods, imports; lost of commented code that should have just been deleted (not much attention to detail), didn't use constant strings for key when passing data through intent (not DRY), uses hardcoded text in xml layout when tools:text should have been used for the preview in design mode.

Their final remark was :
    Remarks: I would have to pass on this candidate as I think they threw a lot of things at the wall (in regards to http client/json parsing) and hoped something would stick, leaving a mess in the app with a lot of unused code lying around. Not much attention to detail and the app had barebones UI without even an actionbar. Didn't seem like the candidate put much thought/heart into the sample app.

Interview Questions

• I guess these guys are looking for cheap candidates probably college grad , they could have spared me the hardship of sample app . Don't go for it unless you are trying to go to mobile market , total time waste.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Dallas, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I was asked a bunch of questions about my past history. I have manage accounts with Google and Facebook to name a few. Less than 24 hours, I was told they went with another "Rocketeer". The ad is still posted. I would not trust the recruiter. They sugarcoat things. I also know the CEOs of most of their customers due to my background. My last salary was over $110,000 and they pay $80k. They are extremely focused on the wrong thing. I think they need a better recruiter. He also misspelled words in his e-mail response.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Bottle Rocket? What salary are you expected? What brands have you managed?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Addison, TX).

Interview

After my application, I got a phone call and was asked about my interests and a rough overview of my skill set, and I was then was assigned an iOS project test in objective-C. They were really good at answering every questions that I have.
    I went to the studio for a behavioral and technical interview. I really enjoyed the process and I learned a bunch of things about iOS and the company in general.

Systems Engineering - DevOps Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Addison, TX).

Interview

I started talking with the recruiter and it all went well. But before the interview process would start I needed to write a Ruby script and send it in. No big deal I thought, I am a DevOps Systems Engineer and I script in every language there is. I got the requirements and I thought it was a bit tricky but no big deal. So that evening I wrote out a script that worked and hit all the requirements. The next day I got feedback from the script I submitted and it was longer then the script I wrote. Nit picking the whole thing. My first thought was ok.... I am a Systems Engineer, not a Software Engineer. So while my script may not be perfect, it worked and did the job fine. Sorry I don't have 20 years experience as a software engineer, if I did I would not be interviewing for a Systems Engineering role where we don't code all day long.

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Dallas, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

The process was smooth and I had no issues. The recruiters kept in touch and are actively working with you to keep you informed of their progress. A sample app was asked to be created prior to the 1:1 interview. The 1:1 interview consisted of a couple rounds of personality examinations, general questions, and progressed towards software engineering specific content. A live and monitored programming test is given and openly discussed with a few of their core engineers.

Interview Questions

• Android framework questions were asked.   1 Answer
    • They asked about general software design patterns.   1 Answer
    • live and monitored programming exercise (very academic, pressure test) (build link list)   1 Answer

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The process was pretty smooth. The recruiter kept in contact with me throughout the whole process. There were 5 steps involved in the process. There was a pre-screen with the recruiter, a questionnaire, a sample app (they provide you with the basic requirements of the app, but it is your job to make yourself stand out when creating the app), in-person technical interview (panel discussion, questions, and coding exercise), and then a final interview with the head of engineering. Bottle Rocket prides themselves on hiring the best and the brightest. This stands out in their interview process. The experience was great and you know that if you get an offer then you are one of the better engineers in you discipline.

Interview Questions

• Multiple questions about the Android framework (they expect you to have at least a basic working knowledge of the operating system), Java, design patterns, computer science topics, and a coding exercise.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket in July 2015.

Interview

This was honestly one of the best interview processes I've ever been through. I first had a phone interview with the recruiter, who asked me about my work history and basics like that. My in-person interview was even better. I first sat down with Julian, who had a casual chat with me about basically why I was liked enough to be invited in. I have never seen that level of transparency EVER in any interview I've ever had.

My interview with my now boss was wonderful. Unlike interviews I've had at other places, I wasn't intimidated or felt nervous. The process with Julian helped me focus on selling myself as an employee while learning about Bottle Rocket's process. After I was done talking with my now boss, I was called back into Julian's office where we discussed how I thought it went.

The recruiters here know what they're doing and from what I've seen, if you're a culture fit and are good at what you do, you'll eventually be interviewed and probably hired (I've talked to people here who didn't get hired until 4+ months after initial contact based on company needs at the time). Just stay positive and be yourself.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket (Addison, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I completed two phone screen interviews, followed by 4 in-person interviews on-site over the course of about 4 weeks. All of the in-person interviews were group or panel interviews with people from varying disciplines and levels within the organization.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were around my experience and some "how would you handle x?" scenarios. They are big on culture fit, so a lot of the process was intended to determine whether you are a good fit there.   Answer Question

IOS Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bottle Rocket.

Interview

I applied online and did a first round of telephone interviews. The interviewer was pleasant enough and was interested enough to continue the conversation, but as soon a we talked salary he pretty much ended it there.

I don't want to disclose amounts, but what I was asking for was average, so I assume what they want is below average. That combined with the lack of benefits in the company (or so what is stated on Glassdoor) I'd have to pass on them.

Interviewer didn't try to take the conversation further or try to sell me on other reasons why I would like to work for them. Honestly, I would be happy to take less money if the benefits were good and I received good training and was sent to a conference 1-2 times a year.

For me this signaled that Bottle Rocket Apps is all about money, like so many other companies as well, but I have to pass on that.

Interview Questions

• Didn't answer any specific technical questions. Only gave a brief history of my background.   Answer Question