Button Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 23, 2018

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen and onsite round. Some other miscellaneous things. Really great experience. Stephanie is the best recruiter I've worked with and all of the questions were very well thought out. On the whole I felt like they presented a lot of fair opportunities to put your best foot forward while challenging you.

Interview Questions

• I can't specify questions but a pretty standard battery of algorithmic, design, and pair programming.   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

I had two phone interviews, then had to complete an assignment that they say shouldn't take long, but it took a couple of hours to complete. After they received that they invited me onsite to meet the team. I felt like the interview panel wasn't aligned in what they were hiring for and what I was told in the phone interviews. Most of the team was prepared for the interview, but there was one interviewer that wasn't and after 5 minutes of talking he asked me if I had any questions and I had to fill the remaining 40 minutes and pretty much directed the conversation. It felt like a complete waste of time. The hiring manager was prompt in all communication though, so I appreciated that.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

it was a phone interview. They want to know more of what you know about their company. Question were expected like: Why do you want to work here? what do you like about our company? tell me about a project you've done? The call was around 15 mins as I remembered.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? what do you like about our company? tell me about a project you've done?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It's certainly a long process, but looking back that's truly a positive sign. Button invests so heavily in the interview process to ensure that everyone brought onto the team is not only a right fit for Button, but that Button is the right fit for them. It's also great to meet with every person that you will be working closely with so there are no surprises when you start. You'll typically have two phone screens/short interviews, be asked to complete a case study, and then one, longer on sight interview where you chat with everyone that you will work closely with. Again, long process -- but a necessary one to ensure the team continues to grow with the right people that can bring a key area of expertise to help Button scale.

Interview Questions

• If you were to come and start tomorrow, what's the first project you would want to tackle?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Had two calls and in person. The first call was with the recruiter, I then met with the founder over the phone, followed by meeting with the head of account management in the office.

Interview Questions

• Describe a negative situation that you changed to a positive one.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied to Button towards the end of June 2016 and a phone interview was scheduled. I was interested in two positions: Front End Engineering and Developer Evangelist. Stephanie was extremely nice, professional and I could tell she was genuinely curious about my experience and how I could add value to the company as it grows. The interview questions were the standard "Why do you want to work here, tell me about yourself and experience, what development stack/technology do I work with, etc." While I was not offered an on-site interview or position, I was impressed by her professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What development stack/technology do you use?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Consisted of 2 phone interviews, sourcing/outreach homework, and an onsite, team interview. The most time consuming is the homework. They say it shouldn't take too long but if you want to do a good job, it takes a few hours. Overall, everyone was friendly and thoughtful and I wasn't asked the same questions at every step.

Technical Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Button.

Interview

First round call with a recruiter, then a 30 minute in person meeting with the hiring manager, then a project prior to an on-site. The first round call is really standard, asking what you do, what your values are, etc. The next round with the hiring manager can easily be done via skype or phone. I think it's crazy to ask a candidate to meet in person for a 30 minute interview in the office as it doesn't consider their time to be valuable (if they need to leave work early for example). To get to the round after you must do a project which they say takes ~45 minutes. That was a lie. After going through it and actually working on the project it takes ~3-4 hours done right. It's a multi-part project that involves discussing process and sourcing candidates and is so detailed that you're basically doing free work for them and re-writing their candidate experience process. After doing that you don't hear back for 2 weeks, only to be told that a candidate signed so because of this they won't be moving forward. There was no transparency after the project was done and I find it abhorrent that they make candidates do free work disguised as a project.

Interview Questions

• Write a job description for an iOS Engineering Role   Answer Question
    • Please review the Software Engineer, Platform job description on the Button opportunities page. Based on the requirements and your knowledge of what it takes to build an admirable team who do you think might be a good fit? Please provide 3-5 LinkedIn profiles and provide a short summary of what makes this person a good candidate. *These do not need to be people you know or have worked with in the past.

Now that you have 3-5 candidates to reach out to, please write them an email.   Answer Question
    • Chris, our CPO, has asked for your advice what the market rate is for a Product Manager with specific experience in mobile or web technologies. What is your approach to finding this information? What do you tell Chris?   Answer Question
    • An engineering candidate is coming onsite!

How you do prepare the interview team for the interview process?
      When the candidate comes onsite, what is your role?
      What are ways in which you can provide omotenashi to candidates during the interview process?

We know that information is somewhat limited from the outside so feel free to use any research or information you find on our website, google, etc. Also, feel free to make assumptions, embed dummy data or facts, etc - we are more interested in the approach you take.   Answer Question

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview was really well done. First was a phone screen with a Senior Android Engineer, We talked about android stuff and what Button did as a company. Then you get a take home project that you do over the weekend.

The take home project is your time to shine as an Android Engineer. It is IMPORTANT to have really well written, well-documented code that is easy for someone else to read. Most importantly, you NEED to know your own code, since your first interview will like be a pairing session with an Engineer to extend upon your written code.

2 weeks later, I was onsite and got the regular battery of software engineering interviews.

* A Pairing Session Interview - Where you go over the code you wrote during the take home part and extend upon it.

* At least 2 Technical Discussions (Deep Dive / System Architecture) - Talk with senior engineer about technical concepts. An example of this might be a talk on how to architect a local school system with teachers and students.

* 1 - 2 Algorithms and Data structures - Nothing so crazy that you wouldn't be able to handle, but definitely hard enough to get you thinking. Study things like Arrays, Hash Tables and the occasional Binary Tree Questions for leetcode.com (medium difficulty)

* A Product Design Interview - Talking to a designer on the team about design stuff and other team related questions

After that, References, Offer and an amazing place to work at.

Interview Questions

• How would you architect a system for a school, where you have relationships like

Teachers -> Students,
      Students -> Subjects,
      Students -> Subjects -> Grades
      etc...   1 Answer

Partner Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 onsite event with the team at their office and a list of case study questions. Overall the conversations went well but I didn't make it to the onsite interviews. I was told they wanted someone with Affiliate Marketing Experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly generic questions about my experience and the role.   Answer Question