Button Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Button Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2018

2.9

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Button.

Interview

Invited to set up a phone screen by a recruiter. The recruiter was unresponsive to emails and I had to send her followups to schedule. We agreed on a date and time and on the day, she cancels after our scheduled time has passed. We ended up rescheduling, but she didn't even ask me if I had any questions about the company. I didn't learn anything about the role or company in the phone screen. It was the most unprofessional interview process I've had.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Button in April 2018.

Interview

I was given a coding challenge to complete and invited to have a phone interview 2-3 weeks later.

We discussed my background and Button's business connecting partners and merchants and then did a modelling exercise.

The final portion was very strange. The interviewer seemed unable to communicate what it was they were looking for here and kept simply repeating the prompt over and over. There was a possible language barrier (ESL), and defining the question more concisely were met on deaf ears.

Called late, left no time for questions at the end. Underwhelming experience overall given the amount of time invested in the coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• Given a data set of Product IDs, Merchant IDs, and User IDs, how would you decide which products to push to the user?   1 Answer

Android Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

The entire recruitment process was pretty quick, and they were very accommodating of my busy schedule. Applied online, without a referral, and received a response within 3 days. The first part consisted of a simple coding challenge -- utilizing their mock API. Afterward, there was a brief call to discuss my code, how I came up with a solution, and how I would tackle edge cases. That went well so I was then scheduled for an on-site interview.

The entire process -- from challenge to offer -- took less than a month.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking to get out of this internship?   1 Answer

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview was really well done. First was a phone screen with a Senior Android Engineer, We talked about android stuff and what Button did as a company. Then you get a take home project that you do over the weekend.

The take home project is your time to shine as an Android Engineer. It is IMPORTANT to have really well written, well-documented code that is easy for someone else to read. Most importantly, you NEED to know your own code, since your first interview will like be a pairing session with an Engineer to extend upon your written code.

2 weeks later, I was onsite and got the regular battery of software engineering interviews.

* A Pairing Session Interview - Where you go over the code you wrote during the take home part and extend upon it.

* At least 2 Technical Discussions (Deep Dive / System Architecture) - Talk with senior engineer about technical concepts. An example of this might be a talk on how to architect a local school system with teachers and students.

* 1 - 2 Algorithms and Data structures - Nothing so crazy that you wouldn't be able to handle, but definitely hard enough to get you thinking. Study things like Arrays, Hash Tables and the occasional Binary Tree Questions for leetcode.com (medium difficulty)

* A Product Design Interview - Talking to a designer on the team about design stuff and other team related questions

After that, References, Offer and an amazing place to work at.

Interview Questions

• How would you architect a system for a school, where you have relationships like

Teachers -> Students,
      Students -> Subjects,
      Students -> Subjects -> Grades
      etc...   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Had two calls and in person. The first call was with the recruiter, I then met with the founder over the phone, followed by meeting with the head of account management in the office.

Interview Questions

• Describe a negative situation that you changed to a positive one.   Answer Question

Partner Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 onsite event with the team at their office and a list of case study questions. Overall the conversations went well but I didn't make it to the onsite interviews. I was told they wanted someone with Affiliate Marketing Experience.

Interview Questions

• Mostly generic questions about my experience and the role.   Answer Question

People Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

I was blown away by how thoughtful the interview process was from beginning to end. It started with two phone interviews, followed by a small case study/project that was relevant to the work required by this role. The on-site interview included interviewers from across the organization, including members of the executive team. The process moved quickly, yet didn’t feel rushed or pushy. My recruiter was constantly in touch, checking on how I was feeling and asking whether I had any questions about the role or company. Button believes strongly in the idea of “omotenashi” which roughly translates to “hospitality” or a “completely selfless approach to receiving guests, where a perfect balance of attentive care and unobtrusiveness is achieved to create an intimate environment of trust, relaxation and respect between those sharing the moment.” That was evident in every interview session. Each person was clearly prepared, had a different set of questions from the one before, and everyone exuded warmth and hospitality. For a fairly small and young company, there’s clearly a lot of thought and energy being put into candidate experience and the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through the most impactful project you were part of in your last job. Talk to me about your approach, your role, and how you measured its success.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Consisted of 2 phone interviews, sourcing/outreach homework, and an onsite, team interview. The most time consuming is the homework. They say it shouldn't take too long but if you want to do a good job, it takes a few hours. Overall, everyone was friendly and thoughtful and I wasn't asked the same questions at every step.

People Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall, interview process was challenging and interesting. Got exposure to the people team as well as folks outside the team - engineering and finance. It was a little long, but I think it reflects the thoughtfulness of the team. There was a case study, but it was highly relevant to the role and was a fun exercise - different from other interviews. There was also a good discussion with the hiring manager around the work I did during the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a process or policy you designed for a company   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Button (New York, NY).

Interview

I had two phone interviews, then had to complete an assignment that they say shouldn't take long, but it took a couple of hours to complete. After they received that they invited me onsite to meet the team. I felt like the interview panel wasn't aligned in what they were hiring for and what I was told in the phone interviews. Most of the team was prepared for the interview, but there was one interviewer that wasn't and after 5 minutes of talking he asked me if I had any questions and I had to fill the remaining 40 minutes and pretty much directed the conversation. It felt like a complete waste of time. The hiring manager was prompt in all communication though, so I appreciated that.