CARQUEST Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

Sort:

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Raleigh, NC) in December 2009.

Interview

A HR representative contacted me to provide a reference for a new hire and suggested I apply for an open position. I met with the DBA Manager and the Director of IT. They gave me a skills test and discussed the work environment at CarQuest. The dress is business casual. IT works in a cube farm with no windows or privacy.

The leadership seemed to keep workers at an arms length, at least during the interview they were friendly but very guarded and closed. They had a cynical attitude towards the technology they implemented and expected new hires to support. They made poor implementation choices in the past and are scrambling to repair the damage without the expertise to do so.

Interview Questions

• What does an Ora-1555 mean?   1 Answer
    • What is the worst thing you ever did to an oracle database?   1 Answer

New hires must COBRA their old benefits for the first 90 days. You can join the 401K until after a year, and then only starting in January and July. New hires typically only get two weeks of PTO the first year. Inter-office politics and a lack of procedures and policies have caused much of the turnover and challenges. They are trying to improve things.

They made me a lateral offer, but they did increase the PTO to three weeks (although I currently get five weeks in my current position). They did offer to reimburse costs of COBRA.

Former IT employees regard CarQuest as a sweat shop and an unpleasant place to work. There is a lack of peer review and the leadership is never questioned or challenged because all challengers are terminated or treated very poorly until they leave. IT leadership does not support their own employees when an interoffice problem arises, but rather blame them to curry favor from other groups.

CARQUEST DELIVERY TEAMMATE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Asheboro, NC

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Asheboro, NC) in May 2009.

Interview

I had a face-to-face interview, and I had to take a personality test. If you are hired you have to take a drug test. The interview was fairly easy, but the drug test took too long. The manager had to read from a paper for you to take the drug test.

CARQUEST DELIVERY TEAMMATE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Beaumont, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

I found the job on my university's hiring portal. The application instructions were to call the store manager and ask about the job (I guess it was first-come first-serve). I called the guy, he asked to come in for an interview (which was basically "When can you start?"). Drug test, background check, then first day. Nothing rigorous about it. The "real" interview is the 90-day period following the hire, where your performance is evaluated.

Interview Questions

• Making a delivery the first hour on the job with no training whatsoever.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Basically I was told it was $8/hr or no go.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford City, ND

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Watford City, ND) in December 2014.

Interview

15 minutes and thats it. Basucally the regional manager was forced to be there and had to get someone hired so he can get back home. He barely asked questions. He also gave me 1.5 days with him, barely showed me how to do anything, gave me a key, handshake and good luck. I struggled the next year just to maintain.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

None at the time. Throw a set of keys at you and wish you good luck. But a lot has changed. Now they do 3 person panel interviews. Ive never been a part of one so Im not sure of the process

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CARQUEST in July 2013.

Interview

Not bad. All my interviews were over the phone where it's hard to establish a personal rapport. Overall, it went very quickly. I heard back after each round within a few days.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to sum up my employee relations philosophy in 30 seconds.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CARQUEST.

Interview

Phone screen followed by two face-to-face interviews.

Interview Questions

• Head of department asked questions that weren't necessarily pertinent to job.   Answer Question

Customer Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Jackson, MS) in June 2011.

Interview

Not brief. Not to-the-point. Took at least three weeks to hear back from Corporate HR after I submitted my application with an internal reference. The processes required drug tests, a personality test, and two interviews - way too much for a sales position. Don't waste your time. Trust me on this one - it's a dead-end job.

Parts Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cocoa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Cocoa, FL) in April 2014.

Interview

Was called after a week of applying to position on the internet. Came in for a interview two days after initial contact and discussed previous work experience. The store manager was very open minded and the interview was very professional. After the interview it took about two weeks to start working.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you would deal with an unhappy customer   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a slight higher pay since I had over three years experience in delivering from previous jobs.

Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CARQUEST (Milwaukee, WI) in August 2011.

Interview

Very laid back. Was interviewed by the Regional manager and store manager together. Regional Manager asked pretty much all the questions. They like to give you scenarios that might happen on the job, and ask how you would respond. Typically it would be, a customer calls and complains about this or that, how would you respond? They also ask the basic questions like are you knowledgeable about cars? Do you have any other commercial driving experience? All in all it took just one interview and about a week for them to offer me the job. Like I said very laid back, they mostly just want to find a person they can get along with who will fit into the store crew.

Interview Questions

• What do you do for fun? & How do you deal with on the job stress?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pretty much just give you min wage plus a dollar, after a year I got a one dollar raise. No point in negotiating unless you have LOTS of previous experience in a parts store or are an ASE certified tech.