CSX Conductor/Freight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CSX Conductor/Freight Interview Questions

2.3

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CSX (Bristol, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online on the CSX jobs page. About 2 week's later I received a email inviting me to a CSX hiring session/ interview. Before the session started the CSX recruiter took attendance and told us that you would still be considered for future positions if you contacted him in response to the invite email if you wont be able to make it to the session he said for the people that didn't show up and did not contact CSX they would not be considered for future openings with CSX" just good info to pass along". After attendance The CSX recruiter gave us a safety brief before he started the presentation "safety is very important with this job/company everything is about safety. The CSX recruiter spoke to us for about a hour or so about the company /job and what would be expected of you as a employee for CSX. After the presentation was over the CSX recruiter introduced the train master of the local yard of where the position was being held. Then the individual interviews started half of the applicants interviewed with the train master and the other half with the CSX recruiter. They each called the applicants in one at a time in the order of who arrived first to the session to last "so show up early" The interview it self was fairly simple and laid back. The interviewer reviews your application and asks questions about your information then more questions are followed like "why you do you want to work for CSX as a freight conductor" "and "can you work all shifts and be on call 24/7". Most of the questions asked are about how safe are you as a individual and your experiences regarding safety. After the interview is over you are free to leave the session CSX sends you a email a couple of days later if your selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• talk about a time where you whiteness something at your past jobs that was not safe and what did you do to fix it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CSX

Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CSX (North Charleston, SC) in April 2015.

Interview

The application process was fill out the application online take a few assessment tests online got a response 2 days later inviting me to an orientation and face to face interview. Orientation was a lot of focus on safety but a lot of information was given the face to face interview was one on one it was not a stressful interview. Remember the order you arrive is the order you interview and if you are a minute late you will be turned away. Next I got a call from 2 of the heads from Charleston yard a week later to interview on the phone. Easy interview the next day I got the call with the offer contingent upon background check physical drug screen and physical capabilities test. The physical drug screen and background was all standard but it is a hair follicle test. The physical capabilities test was interesting but not really hard but I had to drive to Florence which is 2 hours away on my dime. All in all pretty long process but I think it's worth it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you saw someone committing an unsafe act what did you do.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CSX (Baltimore, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Hiring interview with Talent personnel and management official where they ask you questions pertaining to experience and work practices. Where responses based in safe dynamic and teamwork are a plus.

Freight Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at CSX in December 2014.

Interview

Interview was based on general work experience. Interviewers talmed alot about safety and how would you react in certain situations. Interviewers also asked about being on a 2 hour recall.

Interview Questions

• How would you react to a supervisor asking you to perform an unsafe act?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was predetermined

Freight Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CSX in December 2014.

Interview

They'll expect you to know what working safe means, have a good work ethic, and possibly even relocate. You'll at first be in a room with about 10 others attending the interview. Get there early because that decides when you'll do your 1 on 1 interview. If you get there late, you'll be the last to be interviewed and probably not be considered.

Interview Questions

• What does working safe mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CSX (Cambridge, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

Very easy once selected. Asked some simple questions. Very straightforward. Easy going. Attention to detail, show up early and look to dress to impress. They look to weed people out right from the beginning. Only want the best of the best. Started the interview with about 15 guys. After lunch we only had 11, because of either drugs or couldn't commit.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to work 365/24/7?   1 Answer

Freight Conductor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CSX.

Interview

Got a phone called stating I was qualified. Now I'm waiting. I hv been reading other comments and reviews and it all seems pretty consistent. Idk what my next step is because they left a message so I have to return call back tomorro. Process took about 2 weeks only from the time I applied to receiving a phone call.

Negotiation

If I get an offer I may or may not accept it. My kids are still small.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CSX (Franklin, TN).

Interview

I submitted an application online, it took approximately 3 1/2 weeks to hear back from them. They contacted me via email with the hiring session details. They then sent a second email identical to the first and then changed the online submission status to "2nd attempt to schedule". This concerned me as there was no way for me to confirm that I was going to attend. I contacted customer service and they assured me that this was just part of their process. It was.

The session took nearly the entire day. The "Brief" that was given about the company lasted a total of 2 hours. The individual giving the "speech" repeated the same things over and over again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a safety violation you witnessed and tell me how you addressed the issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CSX (Plantation, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

The hiring session was in a hotel conference room at the Holiday Inn in Plantation Florida. There was around 20 people that day during the interviews. They show a presentation of the company and the job description. Afterwards the Talent Accusition Specialist ( recruiter ) and a manager from Hialeah Yard sat down with us one by one in the order in which we arrived. The questions were a little in relation to work experience and of course number one, Safety. Always come on time to these hiring sessions that usually start at 8 am. After that they will lock the door and you will not be interviewed. 15 minutes early is always good. If selected you will receive a call from the HR Department in Jacksonville that will tell you the next steps to take.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to stay safe on the job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CSX (Savannah, GA).

Interview

If you are going into this job the only advice I can give you is think "safety." You might think you know safety, these guys breath it. To put it into perceptive, they practiced fire drills in a hotel before the interview.

I showed up about 20 minutes to the interview where I was asked to put a number next to my name. There were people there who has shown up an hour before I did. Turns out, this number was the order in which we were to be interviewed. I sat down and to make it short, they hold a presentation that takes about two hours to finish; but it is informative. They try everything they can to discourage people from joining during this process. Stuff like, this is an exhausting job, this is a job that can kill you, this is a job that might not pay well in the short term, you will be required to take a 6 week course where you must score 85% on tests and 100% on a signal exam.

After the presentation, three guys interview you at once. The questions I was asked was mainly on safety. "Where did you practice safety on your previous job," "was there ever a time you caught someone breaking safety rules." Prepare accordingly.

In the End, you will get an email either saying go take a physical exam and a drug test, you did not get the job, or your resume will be in our system. Needless to say, I got the one that did not give me the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question is not even that hard, " was there ever a time you caught someone breaking a safety rule, what did you do?"   Answer Question