Carnegie Mellon University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 11, 2018

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

I have the interview two weeks ago. The man asked me about my project experience and some CS fundamental knowledge. Then give me the coding question. Not too hard. I didn't received offer from them. This is a small company.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in July 2010.

Interview

technical skills, their own project introduction

Interview Questions

Negotiation

nothing, negotiation of salary is not available

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburg, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburg, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I initially contacted the professor directly and applied online. After several rounds of emails, the professor asked two of his senior Ph.D. to give me a 30 minutes interview. A week later, I am notified to be accepted.

Interview Questions

• Since I work on NoC, most of questions are really targeted to test your knowledge on this area.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2010.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after finding my resume on the Internet and scheduled a first brief interview to present me the project. Later, I had a telephone interview with the project manager and staff in which I was asked to present my previous work in the field. During the interview I was asked to submit some materials (presentations, notes, etc) I produced in the past as evidence of my skills.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to work in a field which is an unusual choice for people with your background?   Answer Question

Could not reach an agreement on terms of employment.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University.

Interview

Took 2 months for HR to even call for phone interview. Then another month to have an in person interview with hiring manager (however this is very common in academia). Very laid back, a few prepared questions but nothing awkward. HR met with me directly after to discuss benefits and salary expectations.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

I had applied for another position at the university, which was filled internally. I got an email from HR asking for a phone interview later that week. A week later, I received an email asking me to pick a time for in-person. The process lasted four hours and required me to meet with groups of people at different times. It was very different and much longer than any interview I've ever had, but I enjoyed it enough to accept the offer a week later.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted a week after applying. The HR worker emailed me first to set up a phone interview. After the the phone interview I was informed that I would be contacted again if the recruiting manager wanted to move forward after reviewing the phone interview results.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for CMU?   1 Answer

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2017.

Interview

Just had to apply online through their portal. I was simply called with an offer. There wasn't really an interview process because it was a Research Experience for Undergraduates which is just an apply-and-accept thing.

Interview Questions

• There was not an interview question. There was really only a project placement screening, but they had two potential projects for me that our conversation aimed to make a choice from.   Answer Question

Interview

Multiple initial communications. They are very selective and discriminating on whom to hire. It took forever to get started. Place was just busy. Relocation included and some time allowed to adjust to work; incredibly smart people to work with. Work is very demanding and they are always struggling to be on the forefront of research and technology.

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

The hiring process for undergraduate TA's varies on the course you are applying to teach for. Some courses conduct formal interviews, with a series of questions that targets both subject knowledge and interpersonal skills and decision making.

Sometimes, a casual conversation with the professor is all that is required. But regardless, you are expected to have excellent performance in the class, or in an equivalent one.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to gain from being a Teaching Assistant?   Answer Question