Cars.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 5, 2017

2.8

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I received an email from their Recruitment department, we scheduled a call and then they never called. I emailed them a few times but never heard back. Even if you filled the role you should have let me know. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What is your salary requirements   1 Answer

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cars.com (Miami, FL) in July 2017.

Interview

It first started with a phone call for about 30 minutes. Then it moved for a couple of days later to a meeting with top reps for about an hour. Then it moved to a 3rd interview with a VP in Marketing for about another hour. Overall it was a really nice experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cars.com (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Employee referral. Fairly quick response from HR to set phone interview. Phone interview with recruiter was pretty basic: experience, background, what I know of the company, management of sales teams. Nothing too challenging. Call ended after about 30 minutes (as scheduled). Was offered opportunity to follow up with any questions post-interview.

As the interview was on a Friday, I sent the Thank You email with several follow up questions that seemed important on Monday (after). Total silence for a week from the recruiter. I did send an additional follow up email the next week, again raising the questions as well as the appropriate checking in. More silence.

After 3 weeks, I visited the Careers section of the site and noticed the position was no longer listed. Having received ZERO communications, whether the "Thanks, but no thanks" ATS email or any communication from HR, I had to assume either it was filled or cancelled.

After a bit of internal debate, I emailed the recruiter one last time, politely calling her out on the lack of communication and not knowing the status of the position. Remarkably, that got a response inside of an hour with a simple "My apologies" and the position had been filled. Adding to the insult was the suggestion I continue to visit their careers section for other opportunities.

I know this review is harsh and I truly regret this fact. But, when one considers I was referred by a current employee (Cars.com apparently encourages this a lot!), the complete disconnect by HR recruiter and the utter lack of professional courtesy in communicating, even a rejection, is appalling.

Apparently the "silence is the new rejection" philosophy runs strong here...at least with this particular recruiter. And while I know anyone looking for a new job and puts themselves "out there" experiences this often, in this case, it's not just the internal referral but also the fact that the recruiter has had like 10 different obs in the last 6-7 years, just adds to the overall bad experience.

My counsel here is for Cars.com take a more serious consideration of the communication skills of their talent folks. It poorly represents the company and diminishes the interest (at least mine) in wanting to be part of this team.

While I love the site, I can't say the same for their recruitment team.

Interview Questions

• Describe your sales management philosophy   1 Answer

National Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I completed an application online off their website. Leveraged prior senior relationships through LinkedIn and set up an INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW w/ CRO. After a 3 week lag I scored a call with the recruiting manager. No response to my repeated follow up. Never able to identify or speak with hiring manager despite good "fit". Made it clear they had already identified a preffered candidate.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience and relationships with OEM's in this vertical were a must.   1 Answer

Data Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

I had 4 rounds of interviews. !st was with HR discussing background. 2nd telephone tech screening with hiring manager. 3rd with the team. It was more about discussing project and technical discussion plus behavioral. after, my onsite, they called me again for tech interview. Not sure why. That was again basics. If you know the basics of Java and SQL, you are fine.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cars.com.

Interview

You are placed into a small interview room and interviewed by numerous managers / team leads. Most of these people have little to no experience in interviewing and openly read from a sheet just printed before the interview - all behavior/scenario based questions. They take no notes and are clearly just judging if they like you or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a scenario where you didn't agree with your manager, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Cars.com in January 2017.

Interview

Needs improvement. The people in the Chicago office were not in tune with the field. One person told me I didn't get the position, but the interviewers said I am in the top 3. They also do not know how to rent out meeting space in a hotel. The interview was conducted in the most uncomfortable corner of a lobby with constant interruptions. Steer clear of this company. If they can't get the HR and hiring portion down, they might be a nightmare to work for.

Sales Strategy and Analytics Interview

Interview

Met with three people, each for 30 minutes. Fairly easy, though by the second and third interviewer it was difficult to find more questions to ask. They asked a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a member in your group was unclear of instructions or a detail of a project?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was normal. It was very professional and they like for you to ask questions. You many have a panel interview or a one on one interview. It really depends on staffing. Be personal able, outgoing, and act like having this job is your career goal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cars.com (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Phone screen, with a recruiter that did not know the position. It did not matter my years of success in sales, since I didn't meet 1 criteria it seemed to stop there. The recruiter seemed distracted and since I wasn't in the Chicago "team" it never moved forward.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you supervise?   1 Answer