Cars.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

For the Operations group, they will typically conduct a few separate individual interviews with the candidate. All of these, of course, will be back-to-back ranging anywhere from 30 minutes each to an hour. You typically meet with your immediate manager, another manager who works closely with the group in which you're interviewing for, potentially the director, and then possibly a team lead.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of behavioral type questions, so be prepared to have several examples that you can speak to. One cliche question they ask is the conflict with manager.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL).

Interview

There were 3 interviews for the first round, followed by 3 more in a second round. Typically the first was one on one, the second with a group, and the third another one on one. Very friendly interview, not too challenging. In my interview I had some brain teasers, which were hard, but I got through them ok.

Interview Questions

• "Talk me through how you would think about the disruption caused by teleportation technology on current mass transit"   Answer Question

Advertising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in June 2010.

Interview

This was a prescreener interview by HR. They asked the basic questions and were pretty rude during the entire interview. When asked my salary expectations I was told that I was not in range. When I asked what the range was, I was told, "I don't have that information on me." Ok, so how did you know my salary is not in range?

Anyway I was asked if I would take a salary reduction to which I replied no and the conversation ended.

Maybe the interviewer was having a bad day. Or maybe she does not like her job.

National Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

I completed an application online off their website. Leveraged prior senior relationships through LinkedIn and set up an INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW w/ CRO. After a 3 week lag I scored a call with the recruiting manager. No response to my repeated follow up. Never able to identify or speak with hiring manager despite good "fit". Made it clear they had already identified a preffered candidate.

Interview Questions

• Prior experience and relationships with OEM's in this vertical were a must.   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

I was appraocahed by the recruiter on linkedIn. I then had a phone interview with her. Afterwards I was invited to come in the office for 2 in person interviews with the hiring manager and team lead of the team I was applying to join. I was then asked to come back in the office for a skills assessment and to give a presentation of my portfolio of work.

Interview Questions

• What is your knowledge of excel? What functions do you know?   1 Answer
    • How many pennies to the top of the sears tower.   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

First there was an Architect interview, 2 senior developers interviewing, a single software manager interviewer, and a phone screen. It was a helpful opportunity to learn what else is out there.

Interview Questions

• The architect asked me to diagram a flow of a web api end to end. Another pair of devs asked me to work on a clojure program. It went well, even though at the time I wasn't sure I got it.   Answer Question

Web Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cars.com (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Met manager at a career fair at my university and was later contacted regarding a potential intern position. Had an initial phone screening and was asked basic SQL questions (ie discuss the different types of joins). Was then contacted by a team manager for an in-person interview. The in-person interview lasted several hours and consisted of three separate interviews with two members of the team at a time. The questions consisted of basic programming knowledge, basic system design and SQL, and some brain-teasers and sys-admin type questions. In the end they were looking for a part time intern, but I was looking for a full-time internship.

Interview Questions

• Write the merge-sort algorithm in pseudo-code.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, call with internal recruiter, then call with hiring manager. Appreciated follow-up fairly soon after call (even though it was tho trek me that I was not a great match to job requirements)

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cars.com (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied and was contacted via phone call within 3 days. Setup a window for me to call (because I never can control when I'll be with a customer) from 2-230. I was able to call at 210, the person didn't answer so I left a voicemail. Around 4 they called back wondering why I hadn't called (didn't check their voicemail?), I explained the situation and we were able to set up a later time. Phone interview went ok, but always felt like I was behind the 8-ball after having to reschedule. No in-person interview offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• Asked how my customers would describe me. Scenario I hadn't really prepared for.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Had a phone interview after applying online. Went pretty smooth and friendly until they told me the starting salary and it went south from there.

I declined to continue candidacy, I was getting more money from unemployment than they would've paid me.