Cars.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They had cutting edge technology and excellent work/life/balance which made it easy for Recruiters to find good talent to want to work for Cars" (in 86 reviews)

• "One work from home day per week" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance will not be a pro until three weeks paid vacation is standard, Cars only starts with two weeks" (in 9 reviews)

• "Very low pay compared to industry averages" (in 16 reviews)

"Nice, new offices and wonderful people."

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Okay benefits, wonderful people and good culture.

Cons

Not much communication from leadership. And when layoffs are happening around you, you'd really like some clarification and reasoning behind them.

Cars.com Response

Apr 19, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! We work hard to make sure that everyone at Cars.com looks forward to coming into work and feels appreciated as part of our wonderful team, and we are... More

2. "Software Engineer-II"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Very helpful people. A lot to learn. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Pay could be better, Everything else is great

3. "Cars.com- good company going through changes"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Worked at Cars.com full time for 2 1/2 years. You have protected territories, a good book of business, and the company supports you at the local management level.

Cons

Earning cap, no room for growth, and upper management does not really understand what is going on in the field. A good company that can be great again, if they see their way clear of the corporate changes coming from the top. Good life balance.

Advice to Management

Reward the best, work with the local teams to understand the market and what needs to be done there.

4. "Strong value prop...Household Name"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Industry Giant... Strong well known player.

Cons

Communication is weak. Too many "inner circles"

"Great people, pay could be way better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great people
    - great parties
    - opportunity to move up/around if you play the political games of the office
    - Opp to work from home

Cons

- pay is not competitive
    - benefits do not compare to what other places in the city offer

6. "Strategy & Business Development Group"

Former Employee - Manager, Corporate Strategy & Business Development and Innovation in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After reflecting back on my career, my best experiences, thus far, has been at Cars.com. I learned a lot from the leadership team, especially from the former CMO, the VP of the Strategy & Business Development Group, and the Senior Director of the Strategy & Business Development Group. The CMO taught me how to be patient and how to bring different groups together. The VP and the Senior Director showed me how to work hard, what real work was like, how to be flexible, and how to compromise. I learned many other things from the Strategy & Business Development, which are too long to list but am more than happy to discuss offline.

-Pavan

Cons

Bummed about being laid-off but grateful for my experiences there and all the good friends I made.

Advice to Management

I feel the Strategy & Business Development Group, along with the other groups at Cars.com, can help Cars.com grow in the future.

7. "Great company to work at"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Great people. They have an open door policy. Feels very much like a start-up. And there's free coffee!

Cons

Some days are very meeting heavy. But that's something that's being changed for the better!

"The Price of Growth is Change...ing to a new company"

Former Employee - Digital Media Senior Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Media Senior Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're just starting your career in sales, the inside sales team is a good place to cut your teeth. It didn't used to be, but very much now is set up as a call center where you will make X amount of dials a day, with X amount of talk time, this is non-negotiable. You will learn basic sales 101 that you can take to another organization or move into a field sales role within Cars.com, if you're willing to relocate and the field decides to hire internally.

Cons

Lack of Training and Development:
    This spans the organization, but as it relates to the inside sales team - employees looking to grow and move up are often asked to take on additional projects outside of their actual work in order to build their brand and help the team with little to no acknowledgement and in most cases no reward, other than the potential that one day there may be an opening. Management often pits individuals against each other in this capacity, fighting for promotions that don't actually exist. It is a continuous cycle of leadership dangling a carrot to keep your buy in with no real results or change. The Management team does have a lot of talent, and I believe, the right intentions but have been given little to no resources or training to actually make a difference.

Lack of Diversity:
    This is a real problem on the inside sales team, and as people leave and leadership hires new talent, this gets worse. The team is mostly comprised of young bros, very few women, less people of color, and even less inclusion for the LGBT community.

Compensation:
    Across the board, Cars.com pays well under the industry average. The base is low and on the sales team you will be praised for closing deals but are lucky to see any of the validation in your commission checks due to the comissionion structure.

Using Shame as a Motivator:
    It was not always like this but in my last year with the company this became the driving force for the leadership team. You would be shamed into staying late, shamed for asking questions, and worse, shamed when you tried to provide feedback and create an open dialogue about the culture of the team.

Advice to Management

Invest in your People:
    Especially in your leaders, as it starts from the top. There could be a real culture shift to the positive if leadership acknowledged the problems and actually addressed them in a positive way.

Compensate Your People:
    It is understandable in a sales role to have a lower base, the commissions is where your real money is, that is not the case on the current compensation plan. Top performers on the team should be making enough money to live and not have to work a second job.

Listen to Your People:
    There is a reason why so many people are choosing to leave the company (Senior Representatives, Managers, Directors, and even VPs). I hope that the executive team takes stock and makes the changes to bring the company back to what it can be.

9. "DMSR"

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your ability to deconstruct the Cars.com market trepidation while confidently sitting in front of a decision maker and aggressively asking for money . Not a virtue I’d like to bestow on my kids

Cons

Everything stayed in the pros section

Advice to Management

Why start now ?

"Loved my Job at Cars"

Former Employee - Inside Digital Senior Media Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Digital Senior Media Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I want to thank Cars.com for giving me my first job on the corporate level. I learned so much from this job. I was promoted a few times, and loved most of the people I met there. The culture is great but young minded. Make sure you enjoy the 'young culture" before applying. The new office space is beautiful and they really thought of everything. Since going public the culture took a bit of a hit, but that is expected from a public company. I definitely miss the company as well as the people I worked with there. I can't recommend this company enough.

Cons

Growing pains from going public, too many managers and red tape to get promoted, some departments run in cliques, some a managed with the "good ole boy" mentality. Pay seems to be too low compared to other industries, they seriously need to look at salaries. I left for more money.

Advice to Management

Figure out why people are leaving in the masses and make Cars great like it used to be! Keep doing fun things for your employees because we really do appreciate them.

Cars.com Response

Jul 9, 2018 – Cars Representative

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your time at Cars.com. Thank you for choosing to bring your talents to us and for adding to our great company culture. Our fun and hardworking people, competitive... More