Cars.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They had cutting edge technology and excellent work/life/balance which made it easy for Recruiters to find good talent to want to work for Cars (in 79 reviews)

• great culture, work flexibility, work from home policy (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance will not be a pro until three weeks paid vacation is standard, Cars only starts with two weeks (in 9 reviews)

• Very low pay compared to industry averages (in 15 reviews)

"Starting off great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at cars.com now under a year, and so far have loved every minute of it. The senior managers are always willing to help out their associates to excel at everything they do. I have been encouraged on numerous occasions by my own manager to strive for the best while maintaining a work/life balance. I will say, for a company that just went public, fast pace and change are two things we are really seeing in the office right now. I wouldn't say that is a bad thing by any means. The change is great and if you can hang on for the ride, cars.com will take you far.

Cons

Pay could be a bit better, but as many have mentioned there are a lot more perks around the office that attempt to make up for it.

Advice to Management

Have the executive team do more interacting with newer associates or even older associates whom they may not know. We are a small company so it's important to get that tight knit feeling to know your execs and CEO.

Oct 19, 2017 – Cars Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad that you are having a positive experience at Cars.com thus far.

We are continually working on employee incentives beyond salary in order to retain the... More

"Great place to start a new career"

Former Employee - Somewhere In Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Somewhere In Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is pretty solid. Rarely expected to work late, and when you are, you will typically know ahead of time. Get to work from home often.

The flow of work can be pretty inconsistent, so you can get some solid downtime during the day to enjoy the gameroom or work on your own projects.

Kegerator for your convenience

Great views from the new office.

Pretty easy to move laterally in the company. Really great place to learn a new skill and start a new career (assuming you are doing a good job in your current role).

Cons

Pay is on the low side. They try to make you look past this with company parties and other perks.

The mass firings heading into the IPO are definitely not a pro.

Advice to Management

It feels like you're hiding something from us. The sincerity has left your announcements. Don't try to play the good guy and then deceive your employees. We see right through that.

Sep 25, 2017 – Director of Social

Thank you for your feedback. Our new office was designed to encourage collaboration, agile innovation and transparency. It can accommodate a variety of work styles with everything from comfy huddle... More

3. "The best company that I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Non-sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The culture, the people, the fun, the revenue and the CEO

Cons

At less than 1,500 employees, it felt like a small place after some time

Advice to Management

Get people excited about cars and not just about sales, metrics and technology

Sep 25, 2017 – Director of Social

We appreciate your input. We recognize that having a strong, supportive workplace leads to a happier, healthier and more productive workforce. We love empowering our people and will continue to find... More

4. "Wonderful learning opportunities"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Cars.com had an excellent career development program where you can take "classes" to help develop your professional skills (Excel, presenting, etc.) Also, people in different departments were always willing to meet up for coffee to discuss their teams and their career path. People were very friendly and open to having conversations.

Cons

I found that once I achieved a certain level here, it was hard to keep moving upward.

Sep 25, 2017 – Director of Social

Thank you for the taking time to share your experience.We are glad that you were able to take advantage of our training programs and 1 to 1 dialogues with many of our employees. It is also important... More

"Great Company, fantastic co-workers, experiencing some reasonable growing pains"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people, plain and simple. I worked at Cars.com for nearly 13 years and made some of the best personal and professional relationships of my life. It is such a tight nit culture but also an open, welcoming and accommodating to new faces as well. I recently left the organization but was inspired and motivated every day by my co-workers. I personally experienced a tremendous amount of growth opportunity, moving upward and across different departments. The organization acknowledges and rewards hard work, collaboration, integrity and accountability.

Cons

Cars is going through some expected growing pains as it evolves from it's spin off from the parent company. Leadership is actively trying to solve some of these growing pains but there is a certain amount of "get stuff done at all costs" going on that is taking away from time spent developing people and aligning everyone under a common purpose. To get back to 5 star status I feel that the organization needs to get back to some of the things that made it the best place to work in Chicago, the people and culture. The great news is that leadership is aware and cares. Before I left I had several meetings with members of the C-Suite who were very open and honest about the challenges and are genuinely interested in making things better. Turnover has been an issue as of late as folks that have been around for a long time look more for what they appreciated about the organization in the past. This turnover is starting to erode some confidence within the rank and file.

Advice to Management

Find the middle ground between getting things done (quickly) and developing and leading the talented workforce. Remember what made this organization great but also keep in mind what has held the organization back in the past. Finding that sweet spot and investing in people while pushing to do more bold things more quickly will win the day. Compensation has always been a more conservative area for Cars.com, so I'd recommend continuing to look at that. In particular with those that have moved up within the organization that are likely under paid to market.

Sep 12, 2017 – Director of Social

Thank you. Cars.com is a special place. As we’ve grown and evolved, we’re proud to continue to attract and retain people who are open, inclusive and collaborative.

"The Only Constant Is Change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Development community is eager to embrace new technologies and processes.

Cons

Processes, technologies, and leadership seemed to be in a constant state of flux, and there was very little change management to roll them out in an orderly fashion.

Advice to Management

Give teams a chance to hit their stride. "Change is a constant" and "pivot" pep talks aren't a substitute for planning and change management.

Sep 12, 2017 – Director of Social

Thank you for the input. It’s true – we have experienced a lot of change in the recent past and that brings challenges with setting priorities. And, by the nature of our industry, we like new ideas... More

7. "Former employee- left because of relocation"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

easy to get promoted
    great work life balance
    company is growing quickly

Cons

pay is below industry standard
    many managerial levels so lots of red tape

Sep 25, 2017 – Director of Social

Thank you for your input. We are glad that you had a good experience working at Cars.com. Additionally, we’re also always working to make sure our compensation packages are competitive with local... More

"Cars is running on an empty tank"

Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new building is pretty cool along with the coffee machines. The option to use a rising desk is nice to have.

Cons

The company is going down hill. There's a reason why you've gone through 2 CTO's in the last 2 years. Not to mention all your software directors have left along with your best developers.

Promotions are a joke you literally stay in the same position doing the same thing no new responsibilities or anything accept a new title. PXT (HR) can't even properly setup an org chart with so many turnovers and dumb promotions.

I almost forgot last year they had the company party on a Tuesday with only beer and wine. And if the company doesn't perform better by the end of the year expect a third round of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to be more innovative and offer employees more then maybe you'll at least be able to attract or keep better talent. You talk a big game about the culture but it's nothing special compared to other companies in Chicago, large or small. You should audit what each employee does on a daily basis. I'll give you a hint it starts with N and ends with x

Sep 29, 2017 – Cars Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We recognize and are aware of the areas that you have outlined that need improvement. With any organizational transformations, there are growing pains. Sometimes, these... More

"A big disappointment!"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Only pro is very helpful co workers. And may be new office space and location. And that would be it.

Cons

No idea from where to start. No streamlined process to carry out a task. Manager biases people in return to gain recognitions on their achievements. Assigning task and carry out project is a joke. Very less given opportunity to be involved in a substantial project. C-level management have no direction or vision for anything. I still wander what they do in those meetings which they mostly caught into. None fruitful outcome from those meetings. Total disappoint with how internally this company works.

Advice to Management

Too late to give advice and take actions about everything. It gonna take a lot of efforts to make it work. And management don't seem eager. or have no idea about what's going on within.

"Solid Company, Transition Pains"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cars.com is a solid tech company with a lot of great people. I've enjoyed working here immensely and have had many chances to grow and take on new challenges. The new office space is beautiful and the people are some of the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

As a standalone public company now Cars is going through some understandable transition pains. The move to lean development has caused a lot of trouble and turnover in Product and Tech.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you are listening to front line employees. Prioritize finding the balance between demanding high results and fostering high employee engagement. Take care of your people (really, not just with trivial "benefits") and they will take care of you.

Sep 12, 2017 – Director of Social

We appreciate your input. We agree that our Product and Tech teams are second to none. They’re leading the industry in agile, mobile and innovation. We highly value all of our employees and take... More