Cars.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They had cutting edge technology and excellent work/life/balance which made it easy for Recruiters to find good talent to want to work for Cars (in 84 reviews)

• One work from home day per week (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance will not be a pro until three weeks paid vacation is standard, Cars only starts with two weeks (in 9 reviews)

• Very low pay compared to industry averages (in 16 reviews)

"Nice, new offices and wonderful people."

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Okay benefits, wonderful people and good culture.

Cons

Not much communication from leadership. And when layoffs are happening around you, you'd really like some clarification and reasoning behind them.

Apr 19, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! We work hard to make sure that everyone at Cars.com looks forward to coming into work and feels appreciated as part of our wonderful team, and we are... More

2. "Regional Sales Manager"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Upper management very supportive of its employees that put in the work.

Cons

Going thru a lot of transition now as they take over affiliate markets, but long term this a good thing for the company.

Apr 19, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is appreciated. You hit on one of our favorite parts of Cars.com's amazing culture -- “supportive of our hard working employees... More

3. "Cars"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere and people to work with. Learned a lot, in a face-paced environment

Cons

Constant change and shifting of departments

Apr 19, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you for sharing this feedback. It's great to hear that you had fun here and we're so happy that we could contribute to your career growth.

We have experienced a lot of change in the past... More

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Digital Media Consultant in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cares about their employees
    Promotion Opportunity

Cons

Disconnect of communication between Sales and Support/Corporate

Mar 21, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! Improving communication across the organization is a priority for us. Sometimes, we’re so focused and driven to innovate and deliver results, we miss... More

5. "Great place to be"

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth
    Access to leadership
    Friendly leadership who care for employees
    Made some of my best friends here
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Sometimes there is a disconnect between sales and support teams.

Mar 21, 2018 – Cars Representative

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Cars.com. Thank you for choosing to bring your talents to us and for adding to our great company culture. Our approachable leadership team, fun... More

"The greatest ability is ACCOUNTABILITY"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

The new office is nice and a huge upgrade from the last place. Benefits are on par with others in the area, nothing special though. It’s a good place to start your career.

Cons

The PXT (People Experience Team/Human Resources) team is one of the worst in Chicago. The so-called Business Partners will only correspond with Directors and above while avoiding everyone else. What kind of HR team does not want to talk with people? Furthermore, confidential information is leaked all the time and when you bring this up they state an investigation into this matter is a lot of work.

The Operations (call center, fulfillment, account management, etc..) department has been blown up and turn it into a support sales ONLY model to drive revenue.

Many of the Product owners have no experience and as a result we’re making silly mistakes that cost the company revenue on a daily basis. Cars has no active CTO which is vital for an origination this size and it’s clear that Tech’s only function is to support Product maybe that’s why most tech staff is leaving at a record pace.

Sales controls the company and are untouchable! Most of the sales departments have no respect for others in the company and will manipulate anyone to get what they want to hit personal goals. In addition, we have roll-out plans for products that calls for sales to pitch a certain number of units and yet reps will not do it. Are you telling me there is not a single customer in your area that might be interested in a new product to help them? Even a "no" would help us drive change.

Leadership has not communicated an action plan around these Glassdoor reviews in years so it seems the strategy is to just avoid it and hope they go away.

The CEO recently got many of us together in the lunchroom to talk about the issues with the company and a few old school employees at my table were not interested which was disappointing….maybe that is why nothing ever changes! Also if your tight with the CEO or CRO your untouchable no matter your performance

The employee review process changes every quarter and your manager is suppose to have a conversation with you each month to talk about your performance, yet the majority of managers do not including VP’s and CET (Cars Executive Team).

Compensation is not close to market or based on experience regardless what HR says.

The culture is different depending on what floor you work on which is sad for such a small organization.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the entire sales organization and instill some metrics beyond revenue to hold them accountable. Our competitors have a fraction of the sales staff and are killing us.

Replace the current CRO immediately.

Alex take time over the next 30-days and talk with 100 employees from random departments and not your pals in a one-on-one setting to understand the root of these issues that have impacted the company the past few years. This is a large time commitment and worth it to regain trust with the all employees to get us back on-track.

Mar 6, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you for sharing your extensive feedback on the areas in which we missed delivering a great experience for you. The feedback you shared in your review is not taken lightly.

After 19 years... More

"Digital Media Senior Representative"

Former Employee - Digital Media Senior Representative
    Former Employee - Digital Media Senior Representative

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In home office. Flexible schedule. Great benefits.

Cons

Revenue Goals and expectations increased while compensation decreased over time. Constantly changing compensation plans. Constant restructuring. Lower Management team consists of company cheerleaders with no real value.

Mar 21, 2018 – Cars Representative

We're sorry to hear that your experience here wasn't what we intended. You probably already know that the tech space is a very competitive field right now and we're always working to make sure our... More

"Get Experience and Get Out, FAST!"

Former Employee - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Benefits (health insurance/dental/vision/401K) are great!
    - Location
    - Stand-Up Desks

Cons

Everything else, especially management, metric scoring, and pay. You can be a top performer one minute, then a horrible unproductive worker the next, without much proof or reason as to why except "we ran the numbers and this is the score you got". Just bring the stacked rankings back and call it a day.

Unless you can make it to being the favorite of a manager/director, do NOT expect your hard work to go noticed or dare express where you'd like to move UP to in the company.

I would highly advise anyone looking for a job at Cars.com to avoid applying for a Digital Ad Production Specialist position, unless you're really hard-pressed for a job. You will be a Data Entry lackey. You won't be able to skill build for another position in the company without outside courses. Even then, you will be passed up for a promotion to another department because DAPS doesn't work with a certain tool or software application, even if you know it already.

Also, the coddling of incompetent Salespeople will be enough to drive you away. What's so hard about signing a contract or filling out an enrollment form?

If you must, just hold out for a while and gain some work experience, then look elsewhere. The fact that 3 people left within the span of 1 month really says a lot.

Advice to Management

Please.....quit your day jobs.

Apr 19, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We understand not every person and personality is a fit for Cars.com but your feedback is valuable in helping us learn and grow.

We are... More

"Good old boys network...culture is only on the surface..."

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Benefits, training...if you have a trained manager then there is room for growth- if you have a micro manager with no management experience then the expectations will be unrealistic

Cons

Diversity for women & people of color needed. No black males in management positions- The local regional teams show favoritism in growth positions. It’s about who you know- pushing out people they don’t like.

Advice to Management

Ask questions! Why is there high turn over in markets! Listen to HR-

Mar 21, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback so we can continue to improve. Our outstanding benefits promote a happier, healthier and more productive workforce.

We are proud to say that... More

10. "Application Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good culture, work and life balance

Cons

Not so good compensations here

Mar 6, 2018 – Cars Representative

We love our culture too! Promoting a great work/life balance and having a strong, supportive workplace is so important to us.

In this industry, we must compete for top talent, therefore our... More