Cars.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They had cutting edge technology and excellent work/life/balance which made it easy for Recruiters to find good talent to want to work for Cars" (in 92 reviews)

• "Coworkers; Parties; Laptop; Work from home; Perks" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance will not be a pro until three weeks paid vacation is standard, Cars only starts with two weeks" (in 10 reviews)

• "Very low pay compared to industry averages" (in 16 reviews)

"Fun environment, great company"

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers; Parties; Laptop; Work from home; Perks

Cons

Stressful to meet changing criteria

"Downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with good fun people, cool modern office space

Cons

Upper management is clueless and has been driving the business down since 2015.

Advice to Management

You've had 3 years to turn this around and all your layoffs has only led to low morale, and people leaving by the handful, while you sit and discuss 'strategy' in Open Road. Time for you to be shown the door like you've shown so many others in the last 3-4 years.

"Decent start to your career"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Your co workers are great.
    - Work life balance is great.
    - You get a decent amount of vacation time.
    - It’s a decent job right out of college to teach you how to work in the corporate world.
    - Cars is a great resume builder.

Cons

- The pay is low compared to similar positions within the city.
    - The department is like a revolving door. You’ll be there for 6 months, and have a lot of seniority.
    - The work loads of AM’s aren’t evenly distributed.
    - There are Am’s who have reps that barley reach out to them, but then there’s markets that reps reach out extremely proactively.
    - The metrics within the department don’t measure the true success of an AM or help show that you’re helping grow the company. It’s more of a justification to say you’re doing some type of work while at work.
    - It’s easy to not do much during the day and get away with it.
    - The direction of the department is very unclear. Every week we were pivoting in a different direction that wasn’t always clear. Often times you would be asked to complete task with little knowledge/training of how to successfully complete the task.
    - There are a lot of politics within the department, and people who actually work hard don’t always get shown appreciation for their hard work until they’re about to leave the company.
    - You might be told there are career advancement opportunities, but that means going to sales. About 1 out of every 20 AM might make it out of the AM department to a different department other than sales.
    - There are senior AM’s, but they do the same thing if not less than what regular AM’s do. You won’t be gaining any new skills as a senior AM, it’s more of a title to put on your resume.
    - The main experience I received while at Cars in the AM department was how to work Salesforce and build minor reports.
    - Task that are expected of you are very simple and it gets old when you’re continuously completing simple task everyday when you know you’re capable of achieving more.
    - You’re constantly told that the company has a great future. After a couple of years of hearing the same thing, you start to not believe anything that you’re being told anymore because nothing changes.

Advice to Management

Everyone complains about the same thing and nothing every changes, so I’m not sure if they would listen to any advise.

"more layoffs february 15th 2019"

Pros

friendly people,office, good location, wfh

Cons

126 layoffs in december and 112 layoffs coming february 15 2019, this is mentioned by Illinois warn and the press

the worst con at a company is everyone being fired. no success can come like this

Advice to Management

provide support to your people, stop layoffs, 126 layoffs in december and 112 layoffs coming february 15 2019, the worst con at a company is everyone being fired, no success can come like this, morale is low because of this and the top talent will leave

Jan 8, 2019 – Social Media Associate Manager

Thank you for your comments. We would like to take the opportunity to make a clarification. The 112 impacted employees with February 15, 2019 as their last date of employment, mentioned in both the... More

5. "Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Been working for 5 years and have been afforded many opportunities to develop and grow my career. Constantly evolving and innovating company is refreshing to work for.

Cons

-Constantly changing sales force and roles provide many opportunities for some but not all. Management is doing a much better job improving in this area

Dec 20, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you so much for your feedback! It’s great to hear that you love being a part of the Cars.com family! We take pride in the fact that we have contributed to your career growth. Thank you again... More

"Cars has gone downhill"

Former Employee - Digital Manager Consultant
    Former Employee - Digital Manager Consultant

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The sales reps are great people

Cons

Cut employees pay structure in half. Doesn’t appreciate their employees. Lots of favoritism when it comes to career advancement. Cars went downhill quick and you know there’s a problem when upper management starts leaving and you can’t hold on to tenured employees.

Advice to Management

Start taking care of your people like you did in the Mitch Golub days

7. "Marketing"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Work/life balance. Great mix of people with a lot of talent.

Cons

Meeting heavy culture. Lots of silos.

Dec 20, 2018 – Cars Representative

We are thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Cars.com.

Indeed, we cherish our people and our start-up culture. And we’re pleased to be tackling the number of meetings we... More

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well known, but struggling brand.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership, poor vision and no sense of direction. At one point, Cars.com WAS a leader. Over time, the company has allowed competitors to gain a strong advantage in every possible way. The mantra seems to be "allow our competitors to be cutting edge and innovative - then try to follow in their footsteps." What was once a disruptive company has become a follower - often with very little success.

If you listen to upper management, they'll convince you that we're "poised for great success" and "making changes for the better." Eventually, after hearing that for years, you stop believing it.

Advice to Management

Challenge the status quo. Innovate. Be creative. LEAD the industry instead of following. When you put people first, you win.

Dec 20, 2018 – Cars Representative

Thank you for your honest feedback. Our vision and strategy for the future is clear, and our recent engagement survey results have shown that employees understand and feel good about it. We’re sorry... More

"I would expect cars to be under new ownership and leadership by mid-2019"

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

- Good people
    - Nice office
    - Snacks
    - Other amenities in the office
    - Culture (though maybe this is changing now)

Cons

- Opportunity for growth is lacking
    - Company is struggling to grow revenue and under a lot pressure from investors & board
    - Leadership is a revolving door. Hard to establish a long term strategy when 1-2 C-level leaders are leaving or being pushed out every 6 months
    - From an employment perspective I'd rate Cars.com a hold. If I was there now and my role felt rewarding I would stay. I would not start working there now though.

Dec 20, 2018 – Cars Representative

We agree - our people and culture are awesome! Our culture is the heart and soul of Cars.com.

We are tireless in our pursuit of excellence and focus on continuous improvement. Career growth and... More

"Problems with management"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

smart and nice co-workers
    decent benefits
    good work-life balance

Cons

pretends to be a tech company with no c-level tech leader
    sales operations is a disaster, ironically, the current leader is a former sales person who still runs cars.com like a media business
    product offering structure and pricing is outdated and misaligned with goals, too expensive compared to competitors
    too top-heavy management

Dec 20, 2018 – Cars Representative

We have experienced a lot of change in the past year, but our focus and priorities for 2019 are clear. Our recent engagement survey results have shown that employees understand and feel good about... More