Cars.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They had cutting edge technology and excellent work/life/balance which made it easy for Recruiters to find good talent to want to work for Cars (in 83 reviews)

• One work from home day per week (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance will not be a pro until three weeks paid vacation is standard, Cars only starts with two weeks (in 9 reviews)

• Very low pay compared to industry averages (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An amazing culture that started at the beginning and is still apparent

Cons

Sales in the Auto industry is very competitive

Advice to Management

Continue to hire train and manage great people and you continue to be the leader.

Cars.com Response

Jan 10, 2018 – Cars Representative

We are glad that you are enjoying your time at Cars.com. We pride ourselves in our impressive employee base. We are focused on attracting and retaining the best talent in the Chicago Tech industry.

"It USED to be the place to be, NOT anymore"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/life Balance is great
    New office looks great

Cons

-We used to have great company parties now we don’t even have a Christmas Party
    -When something isn’t working, can we just move on from it?!?!
    -Managemet in my department is clicky (very much like high school)
    -Pay is below industry average (HR always ignores this question and beats around the bush)
    -If pay is low, we should have better perks like the rest of the tech companies (paid commute, 100% paid insurance... that would help)
    -Turnover is tremendous- some of the best people are leaving and no one cares to ask why?
    -Director in my department is a joke (she has never managed people but got promoted- she doesn’t believe in our teams or care for our team)
    - It’s her way or the highway
    -Since she became a director, the morale is very low
    -Some of the best employees are stuck in their positions and can’t get promoted
    -Midiocre employees and some of the best employees get paid the same salady doing the same job
    -Products need work
    -Why keep products that are NOT working!!??

Advice to Management

-Alex Vetter should pay more attention to what’s really going on
    -Upper management needs to take a better look at some of the managers we have because they are the reason 75% of their dept turned over
    -Bring back the caring, hard working people we had and stop hiring conceded know it alls

"Used to be great"

Former Employee - Ad Operations in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ad Operations in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly nice people, products are decent, office is in a good location for commuters, solid place to start a career out of school

Cons

Low pay, new office is awful/ugly and always felt empty, seemed upper management had no idea what they are doing, ignores trends of people leaving, high turnover, feels like they are trying too hard to be cool, lots of unannounced layoffs, kept changing the company direction what seemed like every 6 months, got cheap for company parties/events

Advice to Management

Act on what is happening. If a team loses 5-6 people in the span of 6 months, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

Not normal.

4. "Great Company...Even Better People."

Former Employee - Major Account Executive
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

To begin, Cars.com offers a fantastic product. Makes it very easy to get on board with the mission.

Moreover, Cars.com is constantly evolving. Despite bumps in the rode...both managment and teams at Cars.com work hard to adapt and grow with industry demands.

Most importantly, the people at Cars.com are amazing. They create an incredible environment of collaboration, innovation, and fun! Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Very few! Always room for grow in terms of communication on major initiatives, progress updates, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to ensure the field teams have a strong support system and bond with the internal teams.

5. "Digital Media Representative"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Flexibility, independence, opportunities, outside sales

Cons

advancement is limited unless youre interested in moving

"Nice place to start career but don't stay longer than 2 years."

I worked at Cars.com full-time

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Company Culture

Cons

Compensation is below industry standard
    Lack of Consumer Recognition
    Marketing
    Lack of Innovation

Advice to Management

Focus on creating a marketing campaign where consumers actually understand the purpose of Cars.com.
    SEO needs to be improved tremendously.
    Traffic has decreased significantly because of SEO and marketing.
    We have a great product but it has yet to be advertised.
    Internally the lack of career opportunities causes people to leave after a year or so.
    Offer better incentives to keep good employees and promotions at the job are not based solely on performance. Promotions are based on a popularity contest.

"Plagued by Bad Upper Management Decisions"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a lot of smart, talented tech people who care about Cars.com. The work-life balance and benefits are great.

Cons

Upper management is stubbornly blind and is driving out promising tech leaders. I personally don't trust HR to pass on or act on any constructive feedback or raised issues - it's now a black hole.

Advice to Management

The CEO appears to be busy with outward facing priorities, and is leaving all internal issues to the Chief Product Officer. The CPO is leaving all technical management to arguably the most disliked and distrusted person in the Cars technical community. Cars is fighting to regain market share by scrabbling for ad revenue dollars instead of looking for innovation. You have all that data to build new products on and yet you are still focusing on a UI tweak here and there. Continue this way and you will NOT be around much longer.

Before this re-org the problem was Product handing a product requirement plus deadline to devs with little to no consult. After the re-org they want devs to be product designers. How about something in the middle that makes sense?

And where is the clear guideline for career advancement you've been promising for the last 4 years? There's something wrong if someone is surprised to find that a peer of theirs is not senior - because they've been doing the job of a senior for a significant length of time.

"Repeating Buzzwords Doesn’t Mean Success"

I have been working at Cars.com full-time

Pros

- The people can be great! Some very dedicated and passionate individuals
    - Relatively great work-life balance
    - Despite issues, opportunities to make change

Cons

- Making meaningful change is slow, difficult, and can draw the ire of “leadership”
    - Leadership are never aligned. You have a man with a vision you never hear from, another who just cares about public appearances in market while being two-faced internally, a VP who does whatever he wants for the sake of making his list of work longer, and a complete collection of managers either with no power or trying to push agendas on teams who are supposedly empowered to define their own work
    - Company is obsessed with competition and not truly trying to lean into their strengths
    - A lot of repetition of buzzwords to the point you’re living a “5 Steps To Success” article

Advice to Management

Take a critical look at your leadership and actually punish those who repeatedly buck the system you supposedly believe in. Stop saying one thing and doing another, sometimes putting departments against one another. Give people a sense of future for their careers, it’s not all about you and only your success. Take a risk once and awhile.

9. "Worst place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hendersonville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hendersonville, TN

I worked at Cars.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing! Not one single thing

Cons

An owner who cares only for himself

Advice to Management

grow a backbone and take care of those who provide you a paycheck

10. "Learning + Relationships + Innovative Product=Happy Former Employee"

Former Employee - Sales/Account Management in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales/Account Management in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cars.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Invaluable experience and even better team mates. I started at Cars as an intern right out of college and then moved in Account Management and later Inside Sales. I made lasting relationships, honed my communication skills, learned from great leaders and sold/managed a product I really believed in. I look back fondly at my time with them and wish the team all the best successes in the future.

Cons

As with any inside sales organization there are challenges. Difficult customers (car dealers) and sometimes slow moving process changes (we still faxed contracts..but you have to meet you clients where they are). The salary/pay was not great, but I was young and fortunate that money was not the main factor- I wanted to learn. Some other employees were tenured and lazy, negative etc- that was sometimes hard to be around when you are young/just starting your career.

Advice to Management

Continue to teach, train and educate! Filter out the people who don't want to be there and continue to innovate!

Cars.com Response

Dec 19, 2017 – Cars Representative

Thank you for the great feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a fruitful experience during your tenure at Cars.com. We always encourage our employees to grow, learn and expand their... More