Catholic Relief Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2017

3.2

Marketing and Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty easy. I submitted my resume and other information requested into the portal. I got a call several months later from HR to fix a time to speak with the Manager. First it was a phone conversation and then a meeting at the office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in non-profit, giving your background in business?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services.

Interview

Three to four calls with HR in regard to the position, health benefits and the mission of the organization. I later interviewed with a panel via Skype and then had a face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you like to work for a Catholic-based organization?
      Finance-related questions pertaining to my current position.
      Which accounting software am I familiar with and use on a regular basis?
      Whether or not I speak different langua   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewing for the fellowship is a very long experience which includes an online application with short answer questions and basic resume information, a pre-recorded video interview, a Skype interview, a language test (Spanish, French, or Arabic), and finally an in person interview in Baltimore.

For the in person interview, it was a full day, with information sessions, a writing test, lunch, presentations, and a 1 hour panel interview with 3 people. The questions focused on past experiences, where they ask you to give examples of times certain things happened to you (you dealt with a difficult coworker, for example). Be prepared with lots of examples from several different work and school situations.

From application to tentative offer, it was 5 months, 6 months for country placement (which you have little input on) and 7 months before background check was completed and offer finalized.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the benefits and challenges of working for a faith based organization? Tell me about a time when [fill in the blanks].   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was invited for a phone interview about a month later. About a week after the phone interview I was offered a position, without ever coming into the office.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience and passion for advocacy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in February 2014.

Interview

It turned out to be a snow day for the interview day, so the CRS offices were closed and only a few staff showed up. Perhaps this is what negatively impacted the interview experience. During the panel interview, the interviewers sat very close with their reviewing sheet and their numeric scores to each of my answers were very visible. As you can imagine, this was extremely disconcerting. After the interview, I provided this feedback and CRS apologized and promised to remedy it for the next year.

Interview Questions

• Would I be challenged by CRS' anti-contraception stance?   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in September 2013.

Interview

Had a lovely phone screen with the hiring manager. Was invited to a group interview that included executive from the division in which I would be working, an executive from the marketing dept., the publications manager, the website manager, and the web assistant. It was a relaxed interview with pertinent questions about my experience. One executive immediately made me feel right at home when he commented in a positive way about something on my resume that resonated with him.

Also interviewed with a smaller group---the team I ultimately would be working with.

Sis Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services.

Interview

I applied via the website and received an email from a Senior Recruitment Specialist a week later. The text of his message is below in quotes:

"Greetings from Catholic Relief Services. Thank you for your interest and application for our SiS Specialist position based out of our HQ office in Baltimore.

I’m the recruiter for this position and I would like to schedule a brief call to go over the job description, discuss your expectations and review your employment history. This is the initial step in the candidate selection process that precedes a formal interview.

Would you be available for a 30-minute call at 4:15pm EST on Friday, March 8th? I can also offer a 4pm EST time on Tuesday, March 12th as an alternate.

Please let me know if you are available and provide me with the best number, or Skype address, to contact you."

I replied that I wasn't interested in having a conversation unless there was real interest on his part since I had nothing more to add which wasn't already mentioned on the resume or cover letter and the job description was pretty clear. Never heard back.

Not sure what "expectations" he thought I had but I realize CRS is not Goldman Sachs. I applied because of my desire to help those in need. I was hoping to get an interview not spend 30 minutes on the phone so he could decide if he likes my voice. I think "expectations" was code for we don't want to pay you as much as you might want. I have two master's degrees - one from an Ivy League school with a 4.0 GPA, the other earned with distinction from a D.C. school and a 3.8 GPA. I was also a Peace Corps volunteer and interned with the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration at the State Department. Despite all that, I can't get an interview? Sorry I can't walk on water. These guys are looking for perfection which is a shame because CRS does good work. Given the nature of their mission, the selection criteria should differ from that of a firm focused on its bottom line but I sadly that is not the case.

Interview Questions

• Never progressed to the interview stage because the recruiter was trying to decide if I deserved an interview.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in March 2011.

Interview

First you are pre-selected for a phone interview and an over the phone foreign language test (all applicants must speak English and one other language). If you pass this, you are invited to Baltimore for a multi-day interview process that includes a kind of "who we are" from the organizations (this way applicants can also decide if the organization is for them). The mutli-day interview included group work, a panel interview and some test/exercises.

Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Baltimore, MD) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview had three stages. First was a panel of interview which consisted of two managers and two director including supervisor. From the number of candidates interview panel selected two finalist. Each finalist had an additional interview with Director (direct supervisor) and then final interview with Chief Financial Officer.

Interview Questions

• What are the challenges with sub-office common cost allocation and how you're going to approach it to ensure consistency and reasonableness of application among 50 different sub-offices   Answer Question

Negotiation

Director asked what salary do I expect. I told him I expect fair compensation. He told me the salary and I asked him to round the salary (increase by 2000$) he said he has no problem but have to confirm with HR soon. Next day I received an offer from HR which reflected the salary what I asked.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cairo (Egypt)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Catholic Relief Services (Cairo (Egypt)) in March 2017.

Interview

first the were test the they called for interview .The interview was about managerial skills and technical skills . this interview also is describe what the job need and measure if I'm qualified to fill it or not