Cato Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

1.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cato Institute

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cato Institute in August 2016.

Interview

Go to the Cato Institute's website, and apply online. They ask for about 3-4 essays, trying to figure out your views on policies and the role of government. Furthermore, they ask for 5 influential books.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important issue facing our government today?   Answer Question

Assistant Controller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cato Institute in February 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, initially with the Director of Human Resources then about a week later with the CFO. The interview with the Director of Human Resources was straight forward, assessing my skills while the interview with the CFO was very conversational, her talking about the recent changes in the organization, the needs and challenges surrounding the position and not really touching on my skills and what I could offer the organization at all. She did most of the talking. We spoke for over a half hour with her ending with she'd be contacting candidates for an in-person interview with the CAO at a date that fell approx two weeks in the future. I was never contacted.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cato Institute in September 2015.

Interview

First HR contacted me over email to schedule a phone screen. This lasted for about 30 minutes with HR, who then scheduled another phone screen with person I'd directly work for. They both sounded enthusiastic and eager to know when I could start, but then I received an email that they moved forward with other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cato Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

I met some reps at a job fair and I was invited to come in for an interview as a recent graduate. The interview was very strange, with one guy remaining behind me the whole time intermittently checking his phone and weighing in on the conversation. Pretty standard for a think tank interview. First question: What does being a libertarian mean to you? As a recent grad, I asked about salary and was at first told it was sufficient to support myself. After pressing, however, they admitted it was only 700$ a month, but assured me they had one intern at least who made that work without help from his parents by taking the night shifts at the hostel where he lived after working a full time day for Cato. I almost laughed.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel working with people with different political affiliations, like anarchists?   Answer Question

700$ a month as a recent grad supporting myself in DC? Nope.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Cato Institute (Washington, DC) in April 2013.

Interview

You only have to apply online. It's a long process online where you have to answer several questions about your political view and how you believe the government should work. Also, you have to write some essays and choose what department you want to intern and why you want it.