Center for American Progress Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Center for American Progress Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.5

Special Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview

A few days after I applied through an employee referral, I was contacted to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and included standard questions about me, my work style, and my experience. Less than a week later I was contacted for a writing test, and heard back two weeks after that with an update that I didn't get the job. The employee I spoke with was extremely friendly, courteous and professional throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• What's something you would change about your performance in a past work experience?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for American Progress in November 2016.

Interview

Online application followed by a phone interview with an assistant on the team. Followed by a phone call with the intern director. I was then contacted with an offer via email.

Operations Coordinator, Generation Progess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for American Progress (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The first round was a writing assignment to create a mock event nvitation. Next, I had a phone interview with the executive and managing director. Finally I had a brief in person meeting with the managing director. I declined the offer through email due to another job offer, but did not receive a reply after the email.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for American Progress (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

The process was three interviews, two phone (one with HR and one with department employees) and one in-person. The in person interview involved meeting with about 6 people from throughout the CAP office; it was very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe indepth a previous research project you worked on.   Answer Question

Assistant Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for American Progress in May 2016.

Interview

I applied for an assistant editor position in 2016. I heard back a few weeks after sending in my cover letter and resume. I had a number of tasks to complete as a part of the interview process. One task included reviewing a brief piece by an "esteemed" writer with the organization and writing a professional email to the author with suggested revisions. Another task included copy-editing an editorial and tracking changes. After I sent in my edited piece I didn't hear back for about 6 weeks.

Human Resource Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Center for American Progress (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via phone to setup a phone interview, but be aware they are ready and willing to interview you when they initially call (not a problem). The woman who contacted me was very professional and interpersonal, and I was comfortable speaking with her on the phone. She showed an interest in me as a person; however, the phone interview was on the shorter side (entry-level position). She asked around 4-5 questions.

I was contacted a day after my phone interview by CAP to set up an in-person interivew, and I went in a few days later. I was interviewed by 3 different employees in the same room. They alternated asking questions.

I received an update today, and the company decided not to hire a Human Resources Assistant. They decided to move forward with hiring a HR Director.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview:
      What do you know about CAP, and why do you want to work at CAP? What is your experience in either one of your previous jobs or education as it relates to HR? What is your expected salary range?

In-person Interview:

Typical interview questions revolving around team work, conflict and prioritizing tasks.   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Center for American Progress (Washington, DC).

Interview

I went in for an in-person interview and spoke with 3 members of the team. There were a lot of specific questions about my resume and past experience. I was highly qualified for the job. The most senior interviewer seemed incredibly bored and annoyed to be there.

I submitted a paper I had written to my interviewers the following day. I got an email response telling me that I would find out about their decision about next steps within a week or so, and I never heard back again. This is my biggest interviewing pet peeve.

Interview Questions

• Describe your work at your previous jobs. Describe the research experience you have.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for American Progress.

Interview

I submitted an application online and then received an email about a phone interview about six weeks or so later. The phone interview lasted about thirty minutes. The interviewer was very friendly and mostly asked about my experiences with policy in college and what types of projects I have worked on. The interview was fairly informal and easy.

Interview Questions

• What policy issues are important to you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a research project, social media campaign, or publication you worked on?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Center for American Progress in March 2016.

Interview

Intern director reviews the applications first and then passes selected ones onto the applicants ' preferred departments. I was contacted by a staff member from the team I wanted to work with to set up an interview about 3 weeks after I applied. It was light and casual with typical internship questions- lasted about 15mins.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Center for American Progress in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. I submitted my application and less than a week afterwards, I was contacted for a phone interview. It was about half an hour and the interviewer just asked me about myself and skills, then told me about the organization. However, I was never told about the status of my application even after I followed up with them.

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to work for the Center for American Progress?   Answer Question