Chegg Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chegg Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.9

Data Science Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chegg.

Interview

Had an initial screening interview that was done with video given pre-recorded questions by the recruiter. 2nd interview was with the hiring manager. Interview was about myself, past experiences, and then case study.

Interview Questions

• Case study was interesting but a bit unexpected. I definitely fumbled around with this.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I had a great phone screening with the HR Recruiter, then hiring manager and was brought in to meet with 4-5 people. Here's what really bothered me that I wanted to share: The VP was the very last person to meet with me. She took one look at my resume (it seemed to be the very first time she saw my resume) and said "Oh you don't have X Skill. We can't have someone w/out X Skill fill this position". Needless to say I didn't get an offer which is fine, but if they knew this would be a requirement from the VP, I wish they hadn't wasted my time (and theirs) by bringing me in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you did.
      What steps would you take if you were given this project.
      Answer Question

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone screens from HR and hiring manager
    SQL test. The questions are straightward
    On site (Meet with 4-5 people), in which I need to give a presentation
    They could possibly verbally grant you an offer during on-site, which I think is just to hold you before you move forward with other companies. Eventually nothing official came out and no one even responded to your followups.

Interview Questions

• Question about sql skills, past projects and learnings, some basic modeling questions in a tool which I used before   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg.

Interview

I had a phone screening with the recruiter. It was very short and definitely felt like she was just following a checklist. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. She said she wanted to get me in front of the hiring manager and I should hear by a certain day. When that day came and went, I followed up. She was apologetic and said she would get back to me later. Same thing happened again. In the end I heard nothing either way - no interview and no rejection.

Community On-Boarding Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (Portland, OR) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quick and straightforward. I appreciated the efficiency and directness. I was contacted on a Monday and had a phone interview two days later. At the end of the phone interview, we scheduled a Skype interview for the next day. I was then contacted after the Skype interview and an in-person interview was scheduled for one week later. I was called with an offer the day after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you think you can bring to this position?   Answer Question
    • If you could describe Chegg to someone, what would you say?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with international students and “fraud”?   Answer Question
    • How do you respond to a heavy workload? For example, do you get overwhelmed and feel like you have to have everything off your desk by the end of the day?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle this open office area that often comes with noise and interruptions, especially if you have something specific you are trying to get done?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Chegg.

Interview

there are three rounds of phone interview with a data scientist, hiring manager and tech interview. All three rounds went well and then they brought me on site. However after meeting with the hiring manager again, she told the HR that I am not senior level data scientist, but a junior although I was told this position is junior level.

The hiring manager asked basically same questions as she did over the phone interview, I gave similar answers/examples. She also asked how I would resolve a question that they are working on. These questions could be asked during phone interview and screen me out. It is unprofessional, but seems like happen often by reading other reviews on glass door.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you have worked on before and what are the challenges?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chegg in August 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with HR, then two phone interviews with managers. The interview was really easy and really straight forward. Overall the whole process took 11 days from the time I submitted my application. Once I started talking to HR/managers, everything moved very quickly. This was by far one of the better interview processes that I have gone through in my career.

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chegg (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard tech interview process ala 2016. First a phone screen with a company recruiter, then a take home test, then onsite. The take home test was supposed to be done in 3 hours, but in reality I doubt anyone could finish it this quickly and up to standard. The onsite interview took 4 hours and was pretty friendly, although I didn't get to tour the office or meet anyone else besides the few people who interviewed. Aside from that, I think it obvious that they're seeking (and holding out for) the rare unicorn who is off the charts both in computer science, knows a language or two outside of Javascript, in addition to a deep knowledge of front end/UI development itself. Apparently, they have been trying to fill this particular position for 1-2 years. All in all, I feel like my time was wasted because I let them know from the beginning what my strengths/weaknesses were, yet the interview mainly focused on the weak parts.

Interview Questions

• Implement a typeahead feature from scratch, on a whiteboard   1 Answer

Senior Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Chegg (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The worst interview experience, I wonder how Chegg is recruiting.
    They have to change, rather then selling books they have to read books now.
    The interview I attended did not relate with the roles and responsibilities mentioned for the job description.

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chegg (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Most rude interviewer I've encountered: after talking to me on the phone for less than 10mins, she hang up without saying anything at all. I called right back, didn't wait a second, and asked whether she had a bad reception/signal. She acted like she didn't know who I was and what we'd talked about. I was very clear: " hi, this is [my name], it seems we just got cut out, do you have a bad reception on your end?" She paused for few secs, I thought she would hang up again, she said nothing about the hanging up or whatever else it was on her side, and wrapped up the "conversation" in about 3 mins, saying that I'll hear back from them if they decide to move forward with an in-person interview.
    She mentioned nothing about whether she was having trouble hearing me on the phone or anything like that, nothing about ending the previous discussion we were having on one of my past projects. Rudest person I've spoken too, and I hope she gets fired for such behavior. If I knew who her supervisor is I'd would have contacted them directly.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Chegg?   1 Answer