Chegg Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults (in 25 reviews)

• Incredibly smart User Research team, free lunch/snack/drinks, fun environment, and approachable CEO (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• No cons, it was a great part time job during college (in 7 reviews)

"Great place with great culture"

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Great flexibility; work-life balance if that's what you want, or work through the weekend if you want; stock is growing nicely; great ownership from employees; smart hires that love what they do and the mission; practically no a**holes; leadership has a strong willingness to mentor and grow employees.

Cons

Growth by acquisition means there isn't a centralized product culture; lack of clarity on how business and product can complement each other

2. "Great, but only for the strong minded."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, snacks, and drinks galore. Awesome co workers. Monthly events. Paid volunteer opportunists, and killer benefits. (Portland office)

Cons

Blackout dates that can't be requested off during rush seasons. Customer base can be pretty mean in escalated situations. No real room to grow and excel here quite yet. (Portland office)

Advice to Management

Implement more opportunities for the good employees to move up.

"Online tutor review"

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Flexible schedules and lots of students

Cons

System for pay is buggy

"Chegg Tutoring"

Pros

can work from home, easy to access

Cons

trying to find students can be challenging

"A great time to be at Chegg"

I have been working at Chegg (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Chegg for nearly two years and have been witness to the company's transformation to an all digital business. I am more excited than ever to be a part of this organization that lives by it's mission of putting students first.

On top of the exciting growth Chegg is seeing as a brand, the company offers room for professional and personal growth in careers as well as fun and exciting company events. Our fun and fearless culture is one of my favorite things about the organization and our leadership team drives this forward daily. Some of my fondest memories here have been when we've done Habitat for Humanity playhouse builds or our epic summer olympics competition!

Cons

I don't have any. I mean we even have a nap pod!

"Look no further than Chegg"

Pros

After I spent a summer interning at Chegg, I was repeatedly asked about experience with the company. I was able to condense my answer into one simple sentence, "I cannot imagine a company that cares more about their employees and their customers than Chegg".

The company culture was unlike any I have ever experienced. It was as if all the employees had mastered the balance between working diligently and honing their foosball/ ping pong skills. My team members were always happy to assist me when I needed it, and even took an interest in helping me reach some of my personal goals which were unrelated to the company. Over a year has past since I worked at Chegg, and I still keep in touch with everyone on my team.

Chegg employees work tirelessly to help students navigate the rising costs of a college education. I felt gratified leaving work each day knowing that I contributed to such an important mission.

Cons

I left before the nap pod was delivered.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Relaxed environment but with little growth"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are collaborative, friendly, and helpful.

Base pay and benefits are pretty good. They provide lunch/drinks/snacks.

Work/life balance is generally good - if you know what you're doing, you can get away with a 35-40 hour workweek. They have an unlimited vacation policy and don't discourage employees from taking lots of vacation; however this places an added burden on the people who do not take much vacation. You may also be expected to pull some long hours if it's a busy time or if your manager screws up and you have to work double time to fix it. But generally it's okay and the hours are flexible.

The stock was depressed for a long time, but is now at fair value or perhaps a bit too high. This was great if you invested at the right time and got a nice payout, however it also means there is little upside remaining.

Cons

There are no bonuses for rank-and-file employees. There are very few promotions. This is no longer a growth company, and the few promotions that happen are political - it entirely depends on whether your manager has influence with leadership - and as a result the small number of promotions disproportionately go to Directors. There is no transparency around employee growth. This combination of factors results in essentially no incentive to work hard if you're a rank-and-file employee.

Due to the limited performance requirements and the lack of career or financial opportunity, most high performers end up leaving after a couple of years, while the mediocre employees remain. As a result, the overall quality of talent is average.

Advice to Management

While there is some appeal to the relaxed culture of this company, the lack of incentives result in a lack of motivation and poor talent retention in your workforce. You may want to drastically rethink your compensation and employee growth philosophies if you have any desire to retain your top talent.

"Progressive Awesomeness!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Autonomy
    -Personal and Professional Growth
    -Perks
    -Compensation
    -Collaborative

Overall my experience at Chegg has been rewarding. I love the team that I work on, and also enjoy working with my colleagues they are all incredibly bright and passionate about our mission.

Cons

As a company begins to scale, there have been a few minor Roblox. Otherwise this is not a true con, but rather an opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"It's a great time to be at Chegg!"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven company with excellent growth potential. The brand has become synonymous with putting students first and is easily recognizable by the target audience. The company has completed it's transition to all digital which is driving high growth. Chegg conducts an employee engagement survey annually and uses the feedback to improve daily life at the company. The benefits and perks are equal to larger companies. Time off is flexible and work life balance really exists!

Cons

US and international acquisitions have resulted in additional complexity and non-standard systems/applications. Can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep focus on mission. As soon as possible integrate acquisitions into standardized processes.

"Having a Great Time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance.

Real, revenue-impacting problems to solve and things to build, and the freedom to choose my own ways of tackling the problems.

Great team - my coworkers are hilarious and brilliant.

My division is very start-up-esque, in that we can think of a feature, rapidly gain buy-in, and start building within a sprint or two.

Great lunches and snacks every day. Unlimited vacation and work-from-home. Loose hours, as long as I'm workin' hard.

Great pay, great benefits, great stock compensation, and the stock is doing great.

We have fun.

Cons

So much data it can be daunting. We AB test everything, which increases the complexity and time to Production. We're still feeling out a balance for this, but extreme diligence and data-saturation are good problems to have, if you're going to have some.

Unlimited vacation always strikes me a bit as a trap. I'm far less inclined to take it when there isn't a timer on it.

The start-up feel can mean there's a lot of forging ahead and seeing what works. I personally love this, but if you need a lot of structure and direction, be aware.

Advice to Management

Keep doin' yo' thang.