Chegg Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Pros
  • Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults (in 18 reviews)

• Lots of benefits: free lunch and snacks, unlimited vacation, frequent company-wide events and parties (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • We're breaking new ground and learning what it will take to be successful delivering our products - plenty of growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• Salary inequality, career growth constraints (in 5 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture. Mission. Quality Products. Quality people. We hold ourself to high standards, set, meet and exceed our goals. Thoughtfully look to the future and how else we can build or improve products for the student journey. Best company I've ever worked for. Amazing leadership.

Cons

It's not really a 'con' unless you are lazy;

In order to meet and exceed our goals we need to hire the best, be the best and keep the best and sometimes that can come with stress and pressure. If you want to work at a company where you can hide or get lost, Chegg is not for you. Every person's work adds value, matters and is noticed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Best Company Ever!!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Freedom: The first benefit came up to my mind is the freedom. I have full freedom and autonomy to speak up my ideas without fear and am also able to implement them. This is the most important element for my career. I feel myself being recognized and the work I have done being appreciated by the company. It motivates me even more to do a better job. Unlike those giant big companies, Chegg allow me to own and manage a product, where I can expose myself to a wide range of scopes. This is hardly found in anywhere else.

2. Innovation: Chegg embrace innovation and continuous improvement. Whenever I found areas needed enhancement, I'm not afraid to voice out, even to the senior leadership team (Not much ranking or bureaucracy at Chegg). The company really appreciate employees who bring in new aspects to the current practice and encourage everyone to challenge the existing process and make it better.

3. Work life balance: Chegg really treat us as adults. We never monitor when employees come into work, how long they work and where they work etc. As long as we get our work done, that is what matters the most!

4. Culture: Everyone here is very nice and down to earth. We're like a family where we help each other to succeed.

Other soft perks are nice and clean office, unlimited snacks, free lunch, onsite fitness, adjustable desk and super comfy chair, etc.

Cons

Can't think of any. I'm looking forward to seeing our company move to the next level!

"Terrific company to work for"

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission focused, extremely friendly co-workers, great workspace, great benefits, not hierarchical. We set goals, measure ourselves, and achieve results

Cons

Working with teams in Israel, India, and Ukraine is overall a positive thing as it makes our workforce more diverse. But as everyone knows, trying to schedule meetings and dealing with time zones can be a pain. It makes communication limited.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company, great mission to help students succeed, loved my coworkers

Cons

Remote office disconnected from the corporate office and product leaders. Communication struggles to ensure full knowledge of products and services prior to roll out. Focus is at a tipping point...revenue vs. customer experience.

Advice to Management

Product leaders should fully understand the teams servicing their customers and make an effort to partner more effectively to drive customer satisfaction end to end.

"High growth company with a great culture"

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our CEO really believes in cultivating leaders, empowering employees and fostering a collaborative environment. I've been in the Valley in various leadership positions for close to two decades and I genuinely think our CEO is *the" best leader, coach and storyteller I've ever worked with. I've been with Chegg for close to 5 years. I'm still amazed by how he handles conflicts with class and sets the right tone for his leadership team (and therefore the company). He expects the best from his team and at the same time, he fosters the right culture for us to be able to grow and succeed.

This is a company with a soul - big mission and a great collection of young, enthusiastic employees who want to make a difference.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, it's demanding to work at a high-growth company. It's a young company where lots of the infrastructure, processes, and systems need to be rebuilt (or built) for future scale. That puts a heavy responsibility on the leaders and managers within the company - as we need to set up the framework while showing our teams hands-on how to execute (leading by example). This is a place for "owners", not "renters". If you want to build something and see how you can make an impact, Chegg is awesome. If you're looking for an organized place where you focus on optimizing things that are well-established, this place can drive you crazy.

Advice to Management

Steer leaders to focus on operational management and excellence -- to help us execute effectively to deliver growth and scale.

"Fun place"

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Chegg is a fun and dynamic environment: there is a constant stream of new young people joining the company, interns in summer, colorful headquarter office. Lots of benefits: free lunch and snacks, unlimited vacation, frequent company-wide events and parties.

Cons

The communication across teams needs to be improved, so that one hand knows what the other is doing. The upper technical management needs to be more transparent about the technical roadmap, projects, and strategy.

"Great Company, Great Experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Development opportunities, solid engagement of the C-team with the staff, work life balance with plenty of benefits and extra perks (like gym, daily lunches, subsidized care.com, and One Medical)

Cons

Some misalignment between cross-functional teams lead to extra work there needs to be more collaboration between functions. I think this is a growing pain of a mid-sized company and this is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Keep the Chegg culture strong as new companies come into the fold.

"Revolutionary in the Tech Education space with an incredible Mission"

Current Employee - Tech Leader in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Leader in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Chegg is on an incredible mission. As a tech leader, it is quite a rewarding experience when you find a company that is changing and revolutionizing an important cause. Such is Chegg. Chegg is redefining the student experience, through it's product, services and technology. Imagine contributing to the team that helps students with their course reviews, or gets tutoring help or saves students money through renting textbooks, or with writing tools. It's an incredible cause and mission, and through it's product and technology, helps re-define the student experience.

Cons

It's going to be challenging, no doubt about it. With a critical mission and building great products and services, it's not simple or everyone would do it. There are mountains to climb, and you may take a step back every now and then or even fall. But when you eventually reach the top with each and every product launch and see the rewards from the student perspective, it's exhilarating and there nothing quite like being part of revolutionizing a space and making education continuously better.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in our products and people. Invest in the people that believe in our mission and if folks are here for just a job, then it's not the right environment for them. It's much more effective with a team of highly qualified, energetic and passionate people.

"working at Chegg"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work life balance and friendly management.

Cons

some processes can not completely set in place.

Advice to Management

streamline processes

11. "Some Good/Some Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good teammates. Work/life balance was great.

Cons

Position didn't have a lot of room for growth. The position job title was a bad match with the actual work being done.... Everyone working their is pretty corny. Maybe they all really care about education, but they sound like a cult.