Chegg Reviews | Glassdoor

Chegg President and CEO Dan Rosensweig
Dan Rosensweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No cons except that in few months flow of questions is low (in 9 reviews)

• Unclear expectations and little career growth opportunities (in 7 reviews)

"great benefits, beautiful office, catered lunch for free"

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

great benefits, beautiful office, catered lunch for free, fun work environment

Cons

not that I can think of. Maybe could do better with equipment like laptops.

"Run, run for the hills if you are in the marketing dept."

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees below director level are amazing in marketing. They are so kind and people genuinely are nice to each other. Not sure how long these folks will stay. Stock is up so probably vesting until they can no longer tolerate the toxic personalities in the marketing org. CMO is genuinely kind but marketing department doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Cons

In the marketing org at the supervisor level there are good supervisors and then there are supervisors who are verbally abusive, tear down direct reports, speak down to any employee junior to them. These types of managers are deserving of being fired, everywhere else but at Chegg apparently. Despite employee complaints these folks are just not held accountable. They are excused for being "difficult personalities". The marketing org culture has been greatly impacted. What used to be a good work environment is now a nightmare. The market is up, go find a job where managers actually treat you with respect and like you are a human being. If you are interviewing dig deep to make sure you manager is a good one. Here the manager makes or breaks your experience. After all this you are still considering working here note, depending on the supervisor you report to career growth is limited - nothing you do will be good enough for a promotion and you will be told continuously at every checkin just so you don't forget.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk and listen to your employees in marketing. When not one but 3, 4, 5 people complain about poor management behavior the jig is up - have a zero tolerance policy for abusive supervisors who bully and abuse their employees.

"Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Corporate Development in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Development in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time

Pros

Incredibly diverse, collaborative and welcoming place to work. Opinions here are welcomed, discourse encouraged and leadership promoted.

Very great experience thus far!

Cons

It's far from where I live (SF)

Advice to Management

Too early of an employee to give advice

4. "Unsatisfied Tutor"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Chegg part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is excellent - $20 an hour, paid weekly via Paypal. I find that my lessons are usually more in-depth, and I've built up a few students that I work with on a weekly or even daily basis which keeps cash flow. I love watching my regular students improve their English over time, as I get a ton of ESL students wanting help with writing.

Cons

The population of tutors vs. students using the service is way too dense. Recently, Chegg said they wanted to help with this by clearing out tutors with bad reviews and requiring new tutors to pass a subject exam before being onboarded (the exam is only 10 questions so it's hardly rigorous). However, there are still way too many tutors. Students are not routed to you - they post their request on what is basically a message board, and then every tutor logged on who wants to help can reply to the posting via message, basically swamping the student with 20+ requests to choose from and hoping you get picked. A lot of times, the students want you to work for free or just want answers to the questions without doing any actual work. This would be much more enjoyable if I didn't have to compete against thousands of other tutors to get one student.

Advice to Management

Clear out the tutor community and have more rigorous hiring standards so us good tutors with good reviews have more opportunities to get work and get paid. Look at the model that Tutor.com uses - I also work with them and have no shortage of work. In fact, I get students routed TO ME! Also, work on recruiting more students to the service so that there's more work. Too many tutors and not enough students means I spend 12 hours a day on the site to hopefully make $30-$40, if I'm lucky. Most days it's more like $10 or $20, mostly thanks to my repeat students. Show more appreciation to us tutors who bring you more money and repeat clients. MAKE THIS LESS DENSE!

"Fun, Fulling Company"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was always good energy in office and from overall team. Solid team of executives to deliver vision, path to success and to learn from. Really great mission to help students, both high-school and college. Great benefits, as well.

Cons

Like a lot of companies, could work on internal promotions vs external hires. Hard to think of major cons, because it's a great company.

"Too many inexperienced managers"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Chegg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, snacks, 401k match, fully paid healthcare

Cons

Too many over-titled people. Many managers and directors have little experience having direct reports and this makes it difficult for staff to grow and develop. The CEO loves to hear himself talk but doesn't really add any value. He spends a lot of time on CNBC talking about his days at Yahoo. But no one seems to realize that Yahoo lost market share to Google and Facebook during his reign as COO. One or two successful acquisitions don't automatically make up for the numerous failed acquisitions and poor judgement calls that the company is still paying for.

Advice to Management

Stop handing out manager and director titles with direct reports until staff had the experience and capacity to manage direct reports. In the end this just hurts the people who actually the work.

"Waste of your time or effort"

Former Employee - Online Tutor
    Former Employee - Online Tutor

I worked at Chegg part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home and whenever you want.

Cons

It is the Walmart of tutoring. Very little paid for the amount of work and waiting you do. Way more tutors than students. You ended up waiting online all the time with out getting students.

"Tutor"

Former Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chegg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work whenever you want, as much you want.

Cons

You'd Compete with people from different countries and different economy.
    A lot of tutors don't teach, but rather solve the hw for students for money.

Advice to Management

Its supposed to be tutoring, not scandal.

"tutor"

I worked at Chegg part-time

Pros

good hours and very flexable

Cons

poor pay for each tutor

"Glad I made the jump"

Pros

I've been at chegg for a little over a month, and coming from a big company I can say I'm extremely happy. At chegg I feel like I have the ability to actually do more than what's just in my job title and my work is actually contributing to something. In addition, I feel very close to leadership, whether it's Dan or another VP, I can easily catch them in the hallway. To sum it all up, chegg is a medium stable sized company with a start up culture.

Cons

Every now and then you will need to put in extra time and build processes from the ground up. That being said you're praised for hard work almost immediately!