Chimera Securities Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Chimera Securities

2.6

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

I met with a rep from Chimera on the campus of my university. It was a fairly standard interview, he asked me why I wanted to work in the field and what qualities I had that would allow me succeed in trading. His questions were all very generic interview questions, and didn't ask any sort of case problem.

Toward the end of the interview I asked about compensation for their training program which had been advertised as a having a salary for the first few months. He informed me that the policy had changed and the first three months of the training program is completely unpaid and there is no guarantee that the firm will hire you full-time after the program. I think my poker face failed me when he asked if I was still interested, because I havn't heard from the company since.

Interview Questions

• What personal qualities do you possess that would allow you to succeed in trading.   1 Answer

Prop Trader Interview

Interview

One phone screen asking why you want to work there and basic fit questions. Then interview in office with two traders who worked there. Not many technical questions, just more fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY) in May 2009.

Interview

My first interview was an on-campus one. It was very standard, nothing out of the ordinary. A few weeks later I went to New York for an in-person interview with two people. There were a few curveballs: they asked what the craziest thing I ever did was, and I needed a few seconds to think of something appropriate. They asked a few skill questions, such as having a balance beam and needing to figured out which of 9 balls is the lightest. They also asked a few statistic type questions. I got a call with an offer a week later, but decided against it.

Interview Questions

• If you have 9 marbles and one is heavier than the other 8. How can you use only a balance beam to figure out which is the heavy one if you can only use it twice.   7 Answers
    • What's the craziest thing you've done in your life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

The first phone interview was with HR, where they pre-screened me and asked about my resume, why I want to be a trader, etc.

I was soon scheduled another interview in person with two traders, 1 on 2. The two traders have been with Chimera for almost 3 years and it was strictly behavioral. They went through my resume, asked me some simple fit questions, and then it basically turned into a conversation. It was very quick - about 10-15 minutes but then I had a lot of questions for them which they seemed to like. Apparently the next round is with a Partner and a Head Trader - I assume they'll give out some math test or riddles of some sort.

Best part about the interview was that they told you not to wear a suit because it is a casual environment. Unlike other trading firms where you awkwardly wear a suit and everyone else looks like a bum.

Interview Questions

• Define risk. What is the riskiest thing you've ever done? Do you gamble? What are the 3 most important things that make a successful trader?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

The HR did not take my case seriously. They scheduled for a phone interview with me, but they did not call. I sent them an email, and they did apologize to the call. We scheduled an other interview one week later. The whole process took less than 15 minutes, simple questions. No math questions, no brain tearing. My suggestion is to prepare some good questions to ask them, and show your passion and thankful to the job and their time to interviewing you. I was upset about their second late call. Anyway, the HR lady sound sweet, and I had no reasons to complain such a sweet voice. Good Luck, and I do not recommend anybody to work there if you already have the long trading experiences and a profitable trading strategy but never work for any company.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

First interview was with a junior trader. Second interview was with a head trader and the director of the training program. Interview process was easy and straightforward. The second interview consisted of a couple of brain teaser questions, but none that were too difficult.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY).

Interview

took about 3 months from March to June(I applied early)

4 rounds

2 phone screenings with HR a lot of behavioral questions

1 in person with successful Head Trader (mostly technical)
    final round with Partners of firm (all technical)

Interview Questions

• why do traders fail?
      what makes you stand out from the other 1000+ applicants
      name the market caps of as many banks as you can
      why can you survive in this business working 11+ hour days
      whats the riskiest thing you've done
      describe short and long term outlook of global markets
      name the price of oil gold silver and S&P 500
      why has the euro so far off its highs against the dollar
      walk me through an income stmt, BS, cash flow stmt....

4 very hard probability questions at the end... they will give you hints it will take you a few minutes to answer correctly...(if you're lucky).. I think they just want to see how you work through problems don't panic   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

One phone interview comprised of mostly fit questions--describe college and work experience. If selected, in office interview with current traders who went through the same program--similar questions to phone interview as well as some to see if you fit within the culture of the firm. if make it beyond that, interview with head trader and hiring partner with similar questions as well as some brain teasers which are fairly straightforward but want to see that you make good risk based decisions.

Interview Questions

• what is the biggest risk you have taken?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chimera Securities (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone call with HR, after that you interview with one of the traders on the floor. Following that you are interviewed with the head floor trader and partner. Everything is very laid back just be yourself.

Equity Trader Interview

Interview

I applied, and was contacted by HR a couple weeks later. Phone screening followed by two in house interviews. The employees who interviewed me were very professional and it seemed like a good atmosphere.