Cirrus Logic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

3.2

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online at their Career portal and got a call few days later to set up a time for phone screenings. 2 phone screenings before I was invited for onsite interviews. 8 onsite interviews followed back to back, each 1 hour long. The first interviewer was not professional at all and kept asking things even when he admitted that he was out of touch with those concepts for a really long time. The hiring manager took for lunch and interviewed at the same time.
    Questions listed below

Interview Questions

• Phone Screening:
      - Digital design fundamentals, CDC, Verification fundamentals, questions related to coursework, Analog fundamentals, and finally some take home problems that I answered within 24 hours.

On Site Interviews:
      Highly technical rounds
      - Pattern detection, FSM, LSFR related questions, some mathematical questions, extremely tough digital circuits questions, projects in depth, questions based upon what the resume describes, synchronizers, STA, synthesis in detail, constraint handling, physical design fundamentals. Some analog circuits and lots of CDC questions.
      1 Answer

Assembly Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic.

Interview

I applied online through their website and then got an email for a telephone interviewer. He asked me to tell me about myself and about my resume and what experience I had.

Interview Questions

• Have you had experience with testing equipment in the labs?   Answer Question

Digital Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic in February 2017.

Interview

a phone screen from manager. This manager has strong accent. I had difficulty to understand him. He first asked position I were applying then a lot technical questions after. All questions are technical. Nothing related to resume.

Analog Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

This was a telephonic interview for a data converter design position. I had a telephonic interview prior to this where my base band analog skills were tested, this interview was focused more on signal processing basics.

Interview Questions

• S to Z domains transfer functions, Aliasing (4 Khz sampled with 5 Khz signal), how to substitute a resistor with a switch capacitor ckt, sigma delata ADC basics.   Answer Question

Digital Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic in December 2016.

Interview

I was notified for the interview position by email and they asked my availibility for the interview. I recieved the call on time as it was scheduled for. The interview began sharp at 2:00 pm and was about 25 minutes long. The interviewer asked questions mainly related to digital signal processing concepts such as FIR/IIR filters, group delay, impulse response and transfer function.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about one of my project that was on LMS adaptive filter (relevant to Digital Signal processing) and the hiring manager went deeper into the concepts of filter.   Answer Question
    • How to divide a clock by 3 without using PLL?   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

This was the most unprofessional interview experience ever. No questions were asked based on my skill set in my resume. They gave me a problem to solve (design and verify) which I was fine with, but in the meanwhile the interviewers were discussing some random stuff not related to the interview which was distracting. They were least bit interested in what i did and it was extremely unprofessional. The worst is they never got back me to with the interview result.

Product Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic (Austin, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for product engineer position online.
    A phone interview was scheduled on XX day at XX time.
    I received the call about 10 minutes later than the scheduled time.
    The interview began with him asking why I was a device engineer at the previous job and not product engineer (explained my job duties and differences).
    The interviewer had very less semiconductor processing or device physics knowledge. He was an expert in testing. Questions on statistical analysis, probe routine (and other generic testing related were asked) were asked.
    There was little to no discussions about the projects/skills listed on my resume (they were mostly based on process/product design, new product introduction and yield improvement).

Interview Questions

• How do you set probe limits? How comfortable are you with statistical analysis? What is Gage R&R? How do you eliminate probe station/probe card as an issue in the event of failure?   Answer Question

Validation Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic.

Interview

They only did initial phone screens. They said I didn't need Analog validation experience then asked analog validation questions throughout the interview. I believe they're using this as a way to hire H1B people. I checked a database of all the H1B hires and noticed that this company hired several at a rate lower than the industry average for the area.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic in June 2016.

Interview

1st round - phone interview - questions below
    2nd round phone after 3 weeks- take-home assignment where design specs were given and asked to design and verify.
    3rd after 2 weeks - on site interview

Very bad experience as the interviewers were themselves inadequately prepared to handle the interview.
    The day started with the first interviewer sending another person instead. Their head of the division seemed to slight my previous work. The prospective immediate manager was not friendly. Never once did he smile/greet me during the entire process even though I tried to greet him on multiple occasions- may be he is already not interested in interviewing me for the position.
    Other interviewers were friendly and the questions were pretty basic. Those rounds felt like a good discussion.
    In one round, the interviewers themselves were unable to assess my solution during the interview as they "have been out of touch with the problem" that they asked me to solve - shows a lack of respect for my time and effort. I wouldn't ask a question that I don't know a definite answer to.

My impression has been that they already had a candidate selected and they did the interview just for the sake of it (Or was I being used as a test subject for their "innovative" interview techniques that they still haven't mastered? Or was it a special treatment since I was from a particular employer?) What a waste of my time and effort!

Interview Questions

• Phone questions:
      How to get the same rise and fall time for an inverter? What’s a LPF/HPF? What's the step response output of a LPF and HPF?
       What's Nyquist criterion? What's aliasing? What's impulse? Why do we measure impulse response? What is oversampling and why do we do it? What is FFT? IIR and FIR filters? What is quantization and quantization error?

What's the difference between struct and a class?
      What is inheritance - explain.

What did you model in real numbers?
      Did you find any bugs with your real number modeling?

Onsite questions:

Almost all the rounds started off with what I worked on. There was one round where they gave a problem to code and get it to compile - it was a difference detector which has input data coming in on every clock cycle. If data difference is +1 issue pos_signal; -1 issue neg_signal and others error_signal. They were unable to explain the requirements properly and left me confused on the specifics of the design given such a short time span. This round didn't go well.

What's your dream job why?

Asked about usage of randomization and classes.

Not a single question on OVM/UVM though the job role specifies its heavy use in the role.

What's the most complex sequence that you wrote? How would you call a testing done.
      Answer Question
    • Do you think your team spent too much time for the (simple) design you worked on (with a smile that hints that my team doesn't know what we are working on)?   1 Answer
    • Why didn't you follow your dream role?   1 Answer
    • Why did you not raise alarm on a certain issue? (I didn't think it was that important, but the interviewer thinks it is very important - again a smile that hints that my team is not doing the right thing, according to him).   1 Answer

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cirrus Logic (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online through company website. Only one round of phone interview. Phone interview lasted for 30 to 45 mins. Questions were mostly based on my resume. Got reply from HR in 10 days.