CoStar Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CoStar Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.5

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

Very robust , technical and lengthy good conversaations, got to meet everyone that ill be working with
    Good analysis and clear on what job requires and good questions to judge
    Hires right talent

Interview Questions

• Asked me to derive process of a quick release schedule   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Phone contact follwed by in house interview. Very friendly and compassionate people.
    After the interview came to understand that they lack the vision and power to bring in Sr. Level individuals - its almost like they are afraid to. Salary offered is lower than market -(which is unexplainable since they claim to be a Billion dollar company. Average Benefits. Advice: Talent Acquisition has to be GUSTY and BOLD in today world. In today's world employee's make the company.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I started off with phone screener, which consisted more on analyzing my prior experience than technical questions. I thought it went great but apparently I was rejected according to the feedback. No big deal and I was ready to move on but apparently another team within the country was interested in me. They brought me in for an on site interview. More than half the time was spent on my prior experience but in the end I was presented with a few technical questions that I answered with my own legitimate solutions. The interviewer then politely told me they weren't looking for juniors and sent me on my way without even letting me touch a computer. I am not a junior.

I have honestly never heard of this company before and they came off unexpectedly elitist. I found out later they pretty much only take on people with 12-15 years experience. I've seen their work and hope to never find myself working on something so boring that late in my career. I got an offer at another place a few weeks later and it wasn't for a junior position.

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Denver, CO) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was great. I had the opportunity to meet with the hiring V.P and with the current RSD I would be replacing. They were extremely upfront and honest about the company and what to expect in my employment with the company. They asked great questions and did a great job of letting me ask any questions about the position. Im looking forward to starting my new position!

Interview Questions

• Can you provide details on how you run your current sales team and what a typical week looks like for you?   Answer Question

Senior Android Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group in June 2017.

Interview

This company definitely is not a tech-savvy company.

I applied online for OC position and a recruiter called me within few days. When I thought this's just a regular HR screening, then the recruiter immediately threw me 9 prepared technical questions. That's the first phone screen. Recruiter also explained the whole process and there will be next phone technical screen and on-site 5 HR screen. Few days later the recruiter scheduled a next technical phone interview with hiring manager. So during 2nd technical phone interview this indian manager asked me some very trivial questions and I didn't answer very well. That's fine even trivial questions still technical questions and I take that.

Things started falling apart when he asked what will be new features on Android O. I said Kotlin is gonna be official supported language now and that manager asked me what that means? Really? You don't even know what answers will be thrown back to your question ? In addition, from his trivial questions I feel this manager is still an Eclipse user !!?

The entire phone call is very unidirectional and rude. I also felt their tech stack is dated. I don't think I will go any further with this company. Waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• What's min, max, target SDK settings in your android's manifest file ?   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Baltimore, MD) in June 2017.

Interview

First let me say I know many people that have worked at Costar and they all had negative things to report. I applied because they start you off at 50K. I figured I can stand on my head for about 6months to a year for 50K, then leave them. So I knew the job is not a happy one,, I've done my research.
    Now onto the interview process, Lame, unprofessional, and pretty transparent.

First was called by a recruiter after applying through the website. Recruiter said it would be about 30days before I'd hear anything, recruiter made that very clear. So I moved on. Then about 30days later,, another different recruiter contacted back, said they would like to line up interviews So we did a typical 20-30minutes phone screen. Since recruiter # 1 already pre-screened me, recruiter # 2 just pretty much wanted to confirm my availability. So then it was all about when can you meet with us. They were now in a rush and only wanted to interview between certain 4hour blocks of time on a specific day. I explained I couldn't take an interview during that time frame because of my existing job. Recruiter # 2 said she would reach out to hiring managers and see if they could accommodate meeting me on my regular day off which is a Monday. A week,,, just crickets, called recruiter, said was checking.... Then around the 2wk mark called to inform me I was not being considered further, they hired someone who was able to meet with them during "their interview time slots" .. so I moved on again... - A month later I get an email thanking me for interviewing - which I never actually did.
    I then reach out to recruiter # 2 via email,, which consequently got ignored, send a follow up email,,, ignored again, Third email combined with a voice mail was the charm. Spoke to recruiter who was practically reading from a script, gave alot of conflicting bogus fluff and prescribed answers.
    All in all,,, they are not professional, I reiterate ; I knew alot about how miserable folks that work there are, but I thought the lame management would reveal itself after hire, NOT in the process of onboarding and / or dealing with a potential candidate. - All in all I feel I dodged a bullet... and case in point is all the negative reviews here by current and former Research Associates. --- It's a serious flag when a prospective employer will NOT work with an applicant with any degree of flexibility when it comes to scheduling an interview. Folks changing jobs can't just interview at the drop of a hat or at the whim of the hiring manager. It's a delicate process to be treated with some respect,, CoStar quite obviously doesn't care about this, they're just hiring bodies to fill chairs.

Interview Questions

• Typical dribble ; Tell me about a time when, what do you know about our company etc, etc   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Irvine, CA).

Interview

1-1 whiteboard next, behavioral interview with 4-5 other people.

I got an offer, but they said I wasn't 'Sr' level, so they offered me a lower position. Who are these people? Anywho, I got a lead dev position at a Fortune 500 company. They wouldn't know talent if it hit them on the noggin.

No worries.. I'm closely tied into the industry here in Orange County. I get word of their people interviewing for other positions. No wonder..

Old tenured Loopnet snobs -- a group that couldn't get into Amazon if they tried.

Interview Questions

CoStar Group Response

May 15, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. CoStar has a complex and dynamic development environment with challenging problem sets and that means a demanding standard about the capabilities and qualifications we... More

Tenant Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially no one responded to my initial contact until I sent an email to another office location. After an initial phone call from an employee of Costar I made an appointment for an interview. After I hung up I realized that I was wasting my time based on what he had to say on the phone. Then, weeks I got another call from a female employee who discussed the position further and talked me into coming to their office for an interview. It was the biggest mistake I could have made. I went to the interview and waited for employees to come to take me upstairs. When I saw them I knew this was not going to work. They were very young and that is usually a good indication that the company has no interest in older employees. I met with the two females who came down to meet me briefly and then was interviewed by a gentleman who asked questions and had me role play. It all seemed to go very well. I then was escorted out by him but not before he asked me if starting in four weeks would work for me. Of course, that led me to believe that he was offering the job. I waited a few days and decided to contact one of the employees who had met me initally and I sent her an email asking what the intentions were. She replied shortly and informed me that they were overwhelmed with applicants and were impressed with me but obviously not enough to hire me. Now today, I see a new ad on Indeed for the position that she clearly stated they had an enormous amount of applicants for. To top everything off, I was obviously lied to on more than one occasion by their employees. It may be a trillion dollar company financially but their professional presentation is horrible.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied on the costar on my own. I received an email a few days later requesting I set up at phone interview time with the HR manager. She called me that same week and we discussed the benefits of the job and other details about how an in person interview would go, should I be selected to do one. After the phone interview she said based on our conversation she would like to set me up with an in person interview.

I took the redline to the D.C. Office which was really beautiful on the inside. Everyone I came in contact with was positive and welcoming. I sat down with the Hr manager who was really nice and went over how the 2 hour interview was going to go.

Next, I shadowed this really sweet girl and we discussed how she works everyday I got to do a mock phone call which was fun. After sitting with her for a while I met with three managers.

The first manager asked basic questions about my background and history and was a little more serious than the other two. I was asked really straight forward questions. I then me with the other two managers who were SUPER down to earth and kind. We had a very enjoyable interview. I was offered coffee or water on multiple occasions.

Although the interview ended up being almost 3 hours, it was enjoyable and informative. I left with high spirits and feeling positive about possibly working there in the future

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience prepare you for sales?   Answer Question
    • What will motivate you to come in here and work hard everyday   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 parts as described in other reviews and not stressful. Very comfortable environment. They make you read a mock phone call just to see if youre comfortable on the phones. Gorgeous view from the Richmond location.