CoStar Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.5

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Irvine, CA).

Interview

1-1 whiteboard next, behavioral interview with 4-5 other people.

I got an offer, but they said I wasn't 'Sr' level, so they offered me a lower position. Who are these people? Anywho, I got a lead dev position at a Fortune 500 company. They wouldn't know talent if it hit them on the noggin.

No worries.. I'm closely tied into the industry here in Orange County. I get word of their people interviewing for other positions. No wonder..

Old tenured Loopnet snobs -- a group that couldn't get into Amazon if they tried.

Interview Questions

CoStar Group Response

May 15, 2017 – CoStar Team

Thanks for leaving a review. CoStar has a complex and dynamic development environment with challenging problem sets and that means a demanding standard about the capabilities and qualifications we ... More

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied on the costar on my own. I received an email a few days later requesting I set up at phone interview time with the HR manager. She called me that same week and we discussed the benefits of the job and other details about how an in person interview would go, should I be selected to do one. After the phone interview she said based on our conversation she would like to set me up with an in person interview.

I took the redline to the D.C. Office which was really beautiful on the inside. Everyone I came in contact with was positive and welcoming. I sat down with the Hr manager who was really nice and went over how the 2 hour interview was going to go.

Next, I shadowed this really sweet girl and we discussed how she works everyday I got to do a mock phone call which was fun. After sitting with her for a while I met with three managers.

The first manager asked basic questions about my background and history and was a little more serious than the other two. I was asked really straight forward questions. I then me with the other two managers who were SUPER down to earth and kind. We had a very enjoyable interview. I was offered coffee or water on multiple occasions.

Although the interview ended up being almost 3 hours, it was enjoyable and informative. I left with high spirits and feeling positive about possibly working there in the future

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience prepare you for sales?   Answer Question
    • What will motivate you to come in here and work hard everyday   Answer Question

Tenant Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially no one responded to my initial contact until I sent an email to another office location. After an initial phone call from an employee of Costar I made an appointment for an interview. After I hung up I realized that I was wasting my time based on what he had to say on the phone. Then, weeks I got another call from a female employee who discussed the position further and talked me into coming to their office for an interview. It was the biggest mistake I could have made. I went to the interview and waited for employees to come to take me upstairs. When I saw them I knew this was not going to work. They were very young and that is usually a good indication that the company has no interest in older employees. I met with the two females who came down to meet me briefly and then was interviewed by a gentleman who asked questions and had me role play. It all seemed to go very well. I then was escorted out by him but not before he asked me if starting in four weeks would work for me. Of course, that led me to believe that he was offering the job. I waited a few days and decided to contact one of the employees who had met me initally and I sent her an email asking what the intentions were. She replied shortly and informed me that they were overwhelmed with applicants and were impressed with me but obviously not enough to hire me. Now today, I see a new ad on Indeed for the position that she clearly stated they had an enormous amount of applicants for. To top everything off, I was obviously lied to on more than one occasion by their employees. It may be a trillion dollar company financially but their professional presentation is horrible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

3 parts as described in other reviews and not stressful. Very comfortable environment. They make you read a mock phone call just to see if youre comfortable on the phones. Gorgeous view from the Richmond location.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

It is a long process, great interaction with the team as well as in person interview, skype with HR and managing. You have to know about your background and how you will be an asset for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA).

Interview

30 minute phone interview with corporate recruiter. Covered background, how I heard about the new Richmond office, etc. Basic phone interview to gauge fit. Followed up by in person interview 2 weeks later.

In person interview was about 2:30-3:00 hours. Interview involved three 45 minute interviews: shadowing a current Research Associate and making a mock phone call, interview with Research Manager, and interview with a Research Director.

The entire interview felt rushed. I was brought in as a group and briefed before being cycled off to one of the aforementioned interviews. During each interview I was pulled out before I could finish asking questions about the position because they were trying to rush people through the interviews. For example, I was pulled off my shadowing before making the mock phone call because I had a few questions about the back-end systems and data recording that apparently ran over the allotted time. I was interrupted during my meeting with the manager about 25 minutes in because another person had finished their allotment early. In addition, I was constantly asked about my fit to their metric based evaluations. Coming from a client-facing and metric based position, I found it disconcerting that each person gave me different numbers of expectations.

All in all, I went in with a very vested interest in the position, but the extremely young management staff signaled to me a problem with employee retention. The disjointed interview process and the inconsistent metrics ( I come from a sales and client relations background) felt very off to me. I've no problem with expectations and meeting them, but I got very mixed signals from each level of the system.

*fun note: I was at one point told that it's still a start up environment because the CEO talks to all the new hires once in a while.... A publicly traded company is not a start up.

Interview Questions

• How does your background align with CoStar's growth platform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

Employee referral from an old classmate. Received an Email link to an online application. Phone screening the next day. In-person interview a week later. In-person interview consisted of a side-by-side sit in with an experienced employee including a mock phone call (using a script to call another person in the building, its just to see if you're comfortable talking to a stranger on the phone). Also two separate 1:1 interviews, one with a manager-level employee and one with a "director" level. Got an unofficial offer the day after the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a lot of outgoing call experience in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a metric-driven environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your understanding of the position so far.   Answer Question
    • Can you tell me a time you were part of a team success?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Columbia, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

I had an overall positive interview experience. Multiple people scheduled to interview at once. You sit through three interview sessions, and the process takes about 2 hours and 30 min. One involves shadowing someone in the research associate positon. At the end you do a mock call. The other two involve sitting down with two upper level mangers, both of whom were very laid back, open and honest.

Interview Questions

• Name one personal or professional experience that you're most proud of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Meet with HR Manager, then you sit with a Research Associate to give you an overview if the job then you have an interview with a HR Representative. Total 1.5 to 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Why are you qualified to do the work?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call interview and then an in-person interview. You meet with Human Resources first and then you have a mock call and get shown how things work in the office followed by an interview with a research manager.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why CoStar? Are you comfortable in a metrics-based environment?   Answer Question