Codemasters Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Codemasters Interview Questions

Updated Feb 17, 2017

2.4

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Codemasters.

Interview

The interview process takes 4-6 hours, both technical and conversational interviews. Talk a lot about their company's culture. Worth to work if you really into it. Many Data structure problems (HashMap, Linklist, Tree, Graph.....) Prepare yourself before applying.

QA Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Codemasters (Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Sent an email about the role. Got a response for a in face interview fairly quickly.

Had the interview at Southam, then they quickly got back to me less than a week later with an offer.

UI Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Codemasters (Birmingham, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied through a second party and was invited to an interview within a month. Went to the interview in Birmingham and was welcomed from the start. After the interview I was then offered the position within the same day.

Principal Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Codemasters (Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Initially I was called by a known and trusted recruiter while I was on holiday in October 2015. He explained the Codemasters situation had been tough, but they were going through a process of renewable. The opportunity was there to enter the company as it was back on the way up - "to grow with the company" as it were.

Interview Questions

• For our reverberation we currently do some convolution mixed with 1st order reflections, and were the first studio to do this. How would you go about improving this?   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Codemasters.

Interview

Emailed them about opportunity on their job's website, had a technical interview over the phone and a second and final interview on site. HR took 2 weeks to make an offer. The whole process took too long and too many emails, the interviews were straightforward but the communication was slow.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Codemasters.

Interview

In my case, I'd already worked with the people interviewing me, so it was a done deal.
    I spent about a year supporting one engineer and when my job went away, I asked if I could join him. He said yes, gave me a short test on our subject, and that was that.

Junior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Codemasters (Birmingham, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

First impressions: Relaxed yet focused atmosphere in the studio. I had a 45 minute written test (consisting of annotating code and then 3 open-end questions) and was then interviewed by two senior programmers simultaneously for an hour or so, in which we discussed my answers to the following problems. The interview was relaxed and the interviewers were positive and happy to discuss the concepts with me, regardless of how I did on that particular section.

Interview Questions

• With a dictionary of words provided in the form of a list, and given 7 random letters, write pseudocode to determine which words can be made from the dictionary (list of words) from the letters given. a.k.a. the game of Scrabble.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary is fixed but they helped with relocation.

Game Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Codemasters (Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)).

Interview

Though the whole recruitment process the company made a rather disorganised impression to me. Communication was rather slow. Also I suspect that there is a lot of fights internally about resources.
    I interviewed for two different departments on the same day and they had me take nearly the same written test twice.
    A lot of the matter asked in the written test was college class stuff like specifics about C++ or software engineering. A lot of that stuff isn't really necessary in the day to day work of a game developer. Why would you ask something which is irrelevant for the job.

Interview Questions

• You play a game of russian roulette with another person, is it better to go first or second.   Answer Question

They took ages to make me an offer and always said "We want to make you an offer but we need more time" I waited about 1 or 2 weeks and then agreed with another company.

Senior Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Codemasters (Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)).

Interview

Initial phone interview covered the standard "Why are you thinking of leaving your current employer?" and "Why here?". There then followed a programming test; covering constructors, destructors, initialiser lists, the virtual keyword, dot product, cross product and some others I can no longer recall.

The interview has an hour long affair - discussing additionally platform hardware, working practices (use of source control and the like), writing a routine to reverse a string on a whiteboard and a logic / programming question called the common ancestor.

Then (again fairly standard) "Previous package?", "Expectation?" and finally "Do you have any questions?"

Interview Questions

• The common ancestor problem. Given an unbalanced binary tree and 2 nodes on that tree what is fastest way to find the common ancestor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

In a word - brief. Gave my expectations at the interview. They phoned a few days later offering less. I said 'no'. They offered more. I accepted.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Codemasters (Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

One interview, very easy - questioned the quality of those interviewing me. Questions were very easy, nothing that challenged me (I didn't even have much experience at the time). Had a tour around the studio after, expected a 2nd or 3rd stage but was offered the job straight away after the interview. Accepted.