Codexis Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 2, 2017

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

There was a HR phone interview and the second phone interview was with the hiring manager. The final interview was at Codexis site with a lot of people for around 6 hours.
    The phone interview went well and the on site interview wasn't the best I guess. It wasn't a difficult interview but was definitely taxing as it was long. The location of the company is great with easy access to the city. The people in the interview were friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• About yourself
      Background
      Where do you see yourself in the next few years   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen involved a discussion about my previous experience that was relevant to the current job description.
    Final onsite interview involved a research seminar and interviews with a panel of staff beginning with HR and ending with the hiring manager.
    The interview process was standard for a Scientist position. My phone interview discussion went well. In my judgement, the seminar was well received and interviews with the panel went well. The panel was quite friendly and easy to converse with.
    The entire process from initial contact to final decision was about a month which I felt was a rather extended timeline.
    Finally I was informed that after the entire interview, they had decided not to hire a Scientist (PhD level) but an Associate (non-PhD). It seemed like a waste of time since the company could not figure out their own staffing requirements. I would be less disappointed if they had selected someone else for the Scientist position rather than being told the position doesn't exist anymore.

Interview Questions

• What are your long term goals?

What was your most challenging task and how did you handle it?

Have you had any conflict with a coworker in the past and how did you solve it?

What are your salary expectations?

These were more general HR questions. Other questions were more technical related to my previous experience in the Scientific field.   Answer Question

Research Assistant/Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I first interviewed with the head of HR for 30 minutes then I had 5 more interview sessions, each with a different pair of scientists and research associates. Each interview session was 30 minutes long and the entire process took 3 hours. I interviewed by myself with no other candidates. I had two phone interviews before I was called in for an on-site interview; the first interview was with the scientist in charge of the hiring for the position and the second interview was with the HR director and was much shorter than the first as they only asked basic questions (salary expectations, why did you leave your last job, will the commute be a problem, etc).

Interview Questions

• What was one mistake you made in your last job and how did you recover from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The company flew me onsite for the day long interview where there was a variety of one on one style interviews with the HR manager and hiring manager and other group interviews with potential future coworkers. I was extended an offer the following week and given two days to accept or reject it. Interview questions were a combination of questions about my previous experiences and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is an accomplishment you are proud of?   Answer Question
    • What is an example of a time you got in a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Research Assistant/Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The overall interview process was not a pleasant experience. Several individuals in the interview panel asked questions that were pretty condescending. Post interview I e-mailed thank you note and several follow-ups. HR was quick to respond via phone calls, but was not precise with hiring decision timeline and did not conclude the entire process with a rejection e-mail or a phone call.

Interview Questions

• What was your short-term and long-term career goals? What did you like/dislike most about your previous job?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I had a phone interview, and was asked to come in for a formal interview that week. The interview was conducted by 5 different employees, ranging from the department head to HR. The interview was long for an entry-level position, maybe 3 hours or so. I was asked to follow up with references but I did not because it was not a good fit.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my background and some basic science questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Initial contact was a phone screening. Interview was scheduled three weeks later.

There was an interview schedule which consisting of four interviewers which lasted about 30 minutes each. The meeting will begin with the HR personnel, then employees ranging in position of management: the Senior Director, two Scientists and the Research Associate.

Most questions were focused on past relevant work experiences and some questions probing for knowledge of protein kinetics.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

A department director interviewed me first, then three panels of 2 people each, then finally the HR representative. They are in a bit of a rush to hire folks because they have so many tight-deadline projects, so the interview process was not as long as I would have wished, and there was no tour. Just be sure you can explain your background and why you are a good fit for the position.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my previous research and whether I did due diligence to that research by including proper measurements and including appropriate controls.   Answer Question
    • How I felt about the fast-paced work atmosphere.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Codexis (Redwood City, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

three steps:
    telephone with HR: 30 min
    telephone with team director: 30 min
    1 hour seminar on site + questions + 30 min interviews with several scientists

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Codexis in May 2010.

Interview

Meet and greet with three members of the team individually.