Compass Lexecon Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Compass Lexecon Interview Questions

Updated Feb 24, 2017

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview

Mostly behavioral questions, some technical questions about my data analysis paper. I had networked with a partner and a recent graduate from my school and was given a first round from that. I interviewed with another partner.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain the model you used in your paper that you submitted as a writing sample?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA).

Interview

Applied through college's job board. Selected for a phone screening with a vice president. He was very cold and pressed a lot about everything on my resume, asking how to do certain commands in the programs I work in and generally being unpleasant. Miraculously selected for final round--guess it went better than I previously thought. The day consisted of five interviews like most people have said--one behavioral with a senior analyst, a quantitative interview with another senior analyst, a case study with an executive vice president (this man was *extremely* unpleasant; by far the worst person I've met while interviewing at various consulting and financial firms--sighed throughout the case, was generally disinterested and rolled his eyes sporadically), behavioral with a senior vice president who was fortunately nicer, and lunch interspersed in the middle with two current analysts who were both pleasant. Everything was fairly standard for an economic consulting firm, but the office environment seemed pretty terrible--little to no apparent culture and appeared to be a large disconnect between jr. and sr. analysts and management who generally hold PhDs or other graduate degrees. Didn't receive an offer but wouldn't have taken it regardless.

Interview Questions

• Consider the banana economy for all of Europe. Let's say that they place a protectionist quota for banana imports from Latin America--draw the supply and demand graph with the quota and show equilibrium price and quantity. Now let's consider that there is a cartel who is attempting to collude and fix prices. Where will they set prices and how does the quantity change? If licenses for importing under the quota are tradeable, what will a banana supplier pay for one of these licenses? Knowing firm decision-making basics from your average micro class will be helpful as well as knowing how quotas work. Other questions: why economic consulting? Take a look at this list of data on sales and revenue--what stands out to you? Spot any errors? If you found a duplicate in the data, would you flag it or delete it? Additionally, be ready to talk extensively about your research. I was pressed heavily on mine, even though the methodology was sound and good and the interviewer seemed to not understand the econometrics behind it...   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online and talked with both the NY and Boston office. Got into the final interview with the boston office (which focuses on energy, transportation and anti-trust), the interview process was quite long but pleasant. I could't recall some of the details during interviews due to traveling, but I do recommend the company!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a 20-min phone interview with an analyst from New York office. The questions were pretty standard and the interviewer was super friendly. It has been more than a week since the interview, but I haven't heard anything back from, so I believe I am rejected. I heard that both the next round offer or rejection letter arrives in less than a week for companies in economic consulting industry.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions such as why economic consulting, why Compass Lexecon, my research experience, my proficiency with Stata,   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

First round on campus: met with one economist and one analyst for 30 minutes, all behavior questions. They asked lots of details about previous research and work experiences. Be prepared to talk about everything on your resume.
    Final round onsite interview: met with one senior analyst, one economist, two VPs. One quant interview, one case, two behaviors. Each took 40 minutes. By the end 3 analysts took 4 of us to lunch, where we got to ask all kinds of questions.
    Heard back in 10 days. Got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Quant: gave me a spreadsheet. What did you notice? Point out something weird about the data.
      Case: a hypothetical merge case. How to define the market of one specific soda? Would you approve the acquisition? Why?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a 30 minute interview with a recruiter. He asked me a couple of questions about my experience working with data and then gave me a brief case about an airlines merger and what I would want to know in order to decide whether to prevent it or not. Looking back I realized I messed up the case pretty badly which is why I didn't advance.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience working with large datasets.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Amherst, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was 30 minutes long and mostly behavioral/fit questions in a very relaxed, informal setting. They asked mostly about my resume as well as my experience as a research assistant. Be prepared to talk extensively and more quantitatively about your past research experiences.

Interview Questions

• What were some academic courses related to economic consulting that you've taken before?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

This review applies to a job in New York office only. It was a 20-minute phone interview with an economist and the interviewer leaves about 10 minutes for Q&A. Went through resume and asked about projects I have worked in the past. never heard back from them afterwards.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA).

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. First had a phone screening with an analyst who asked questions about research and work experience, data analysis, college and graduate course work. During the second round I met with five people: four senior executives/VPs and a senior analyst. Be prepared for a quantitative interview (mine was a spreadhseet/data case) and a case study (mine was a micro theory case involving imports, quotas, and licensing fees). The remaining interviews are mostly about your experience, quantitative ability, and behavioral stuff.

Interview Questions

• Here is a spreadsheet with data quarterly data on production, sales, and profits on X industry. Take a few minutes to look at the data and tell me what stands out.   1 Answer
    • A country imports widgets from Africa and gives preferential status to former colonies. There is an import quota on the imports of firms from non-preferred countries. There is also a license fee for these firms. Given the information, draw a supply and demand curve that describes the situation. Where is the price equilibrium? Where is the new equilibrium if supply increases, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got the first-round interview in October. The whole process was quite relaxed. Recruiters are two analysts and are very easygoing and supportive. First let me go through resume. Then asked about why choosing compass lexecon and why choosing to be an analyst.