Compass Lexecon Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Compass Lexecon Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Dec 6, 2017

46 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Analyst Interview

Interview

Great interview process, 1st rd 2 on 1 on campus interview, final round in DC office, 4 interviews back to back 1 case 1 technical skills 2 behavioral. Overall great process all expenses paid for and fantastic group of guys

Interview Questions

• How can you see wether a merger had anticompetitive tendencies?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Compass Lexecon

Analyst Interview

Interview

First round on campus interview with two analysts for 30 mins. The hiring process wasn’t very efficient and was kind of confusing. The job posting on the career website didn’t specify which group they are hiring, and it turned out that they were hiring only hiring for the securities practice. The two analysts who came on campus had no idea what their recruiting process is like and said HR didn’t talk to them about anything. The interviewers literally turned the interviews to an IB interview. Besides going down each course on your transcript asking you to tell them what you learned in each class since freshman year, they also asked you to go through three major financial statements, the DCF model, how to calculate WACC, return on debt/equity etc. I found the interviews to be a little bit repetitive as the two interviewers for each of the 30 mins asked the same questions over and over again..

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

Typical interview process: first round on campus and final round in their D.C. Office. I was interviewed for the antitrust group- exactly what I wanted. My first round was with an economist and an analyst - had a great conversation and was asked about my thesis and my past research experience as well as team work and leadership experiences. I was later called for the final round in their D.C. office where the same people I interviewed with gave me great tips the night before the super-day. Candidates were taken out to dinner in groups with a couple of analysts and economists. The next day we had a morning shift and an afternoon shift of interviews: about 12 people were interviewed during the morning shift. It was a 4 back to back interview: one with a VP, senior VP, Economist and senior Economist. The interview process was very personalized and definitely exciting: they did a great job in introducing us to Compass and the place has a great vibe of genuinely nice and smart people- something that's uncommon to the industry. Plus the firm has internal promotional aspects without a requirement for a PhD- another uncommon yet amazing opportunity. Make sure to be yourself and try your best- the trick is to have a good conversation and let them see how much you love economics. A lot of things went bad for me during the interview- like missing flights etc., and despite it all I made sure that I got to know them and also show them my genuine interest. Make sure to have fun!

Interview Questions

• Merger of two firms: different aspects that look into their anti-trust behavior and then ask you to briefly comment on small qs. Nothing hard at all: just want to see how you think.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon.

Interview

First round - They asked me to essentially walk through my resume as well as talk in depth about a time when I worked with large amounts of data. So be able to explain that in depth and what you do outside of school/major.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked with large amounts of data?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Oakland, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting and got a phone interview after two weeks. The first round phone interview was half behavioral and half technical. He gave me a case which was a typical economic consulting case and asked a lot data analysis questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a 20-min phone interview with an analyst from New York office. The questions were pretty standard and the interviewer was super friendly. It has been more than a week since the interview, but I haven't heard anything back from, so I believe I am rejected. I heard that both the next round offer or rejection letter arrives in less than a week for companies in economic consulting industry.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions such as why economic consulting, why Compass Lexecon, my research experience, my proficiency with Stata,   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

First round on campus: met with one economist and one analyst for 30 minutes, all behavior questions. They asked lots of details about previous research and work experiences. Be prepared to talk about everything on your resume.
    Final round onsite interview: met with one senior analyst, one economist, two VPs. One quant interview, one case, two behaviors. Each took 40 minutes. By the end 3 analysts took 4 of us to lunch, where we got to ask all kinds of questions.
    Heard back in 10 days. Got rejected.

Interview Questions

• Quant: gave me a spreadsheet. What did you notice? Point out something weird about the data.
      Case: a hypothetical merge case. How to define the market of one specific soda? Would you approve the acquisition? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a 30 minute interview with a recruiter. He asked me a couple of questions about my experience working with data and then gave me a brief case about an airlines merger and what I would want to know in order to decide whether to prevent it or not. Looking back I realized I messed up the case pretty badly which is why I didn't advance.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience working with large datasets.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon (Amherst, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was 30 minutes long and mostly behavioral/fit questions in a very relaxed, informal setting. They asked mostly about my resume as well as my experience as a research assistant. Be prepared to talk extensively and more quantitatively about your past research experiences.

Interview Questions

• What were some academic courses related to economic consulting that you've taken before?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Compass Lexecon in September 2016.

Interview

Applied through university and had an on campus interview with 2 interviewers. Questions were primarily behavioral and emphasized past research experience and internships. Be prepared to answer in depth questions about research projects such as senior thesis