Cowen Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Cowen (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had to meet with 12 different people in a three hour period, everyone asked the same questions and spoke in a very condescending way. Without directly saying it, almost everyone I met with made me feel like I wasn't welcomed there mostly because I chose not to major in finance.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your background, why investment banking?, Are you irritated to work 100 hours a week? Why didn't you major in finance if you're interested in this career   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cowen (New York, NY).

Interview

On campus interview 2 analysts came and were not very friendly. Emailed to see status and was ignored by every member I was given contact info about. Employees seemed very disinterested

Account Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cowen (New York, NY).

Interview

I meet with the head of HR first who gave me an overview of the firm then I meet with the head of the group I was joining and then my immediate supervisor

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you'd be a good addition to the group? What skills do you posses that you think would beneficial to the group?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I got the initial interview through networking with bankers within the firm. Got passed two phone screens and receive an invite to their super day in their SF office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen (San Francisco, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

I had a one on one interview at the college career center. I then got to the final round interview held in SF. The final round consisted of interviewing with 5 people for 30 min each. The interviews seemed fine, and the bankers were pretty nice, however I hadn't taken finance at the time so the finance questions were a little tricky. The accounting questions were easy. Good learning experience.

Interview Questions

• Could you walk me through the cash flows statement? What are some items that would be found under each heading?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cowen (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview was fairly straightforward. I had made a contact from an alumni from my school and then was invited in for an interview. I met with several junior level analysts and then 2 senior level employees. One was a VP and the other was a managing director. The questions ranged from personal strengths, to fit and culture and only a few technical finance questions. I have heard from other interviewees that the type of questions simply depend on who does the interviewing and what group you are interviewing for. Friendliest interview session I have had and the office seemed like it was buzzing with energy as people were called in and out of interviews for various other tasks.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question was about a few of my random interests listed on the resume and what I was currently reading? Enjoyed the question but was surprised when that was brought up. Apparently personal questions like that are quite common at this firm   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cowen (San Francisco, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Interviewed in their NY office, then interviewed in their San Francisco office. Everyone was intellectual and the work environment showed lots of energy. Had a total of 3 interviews with the last 2 interviews lasting 3 hours each. Company personnel was great, but the recruitment process transition from one office to the next took a lot longer than expected.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the more important valuation multiples?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

My father works at a restaurant in the city and one of his customers works at Cowen, as an intermediary, my father handed the customer my resume who then handed it to the head of Investment Banking. 2 weeks later I got an interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was really unexpected. The most difficult question was probably why I want to do Investment Banking.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cowen (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a 2 phone calls with associates, all behavioral. Then a few weeks later I went into the office and met with 2 VP's and 1 MD. It was a great experience.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cowen in September 2016.

Interview

I was emailed about an open opportunity and set up a phone interview. First phone interview went very well and seemed as if I was going to move on to an in person interview, but I was asked to schedule another phone interview with a different member of the group. He pushed back the interview time 3 times and when we finally spoke, he seemed uninterested in anything I had to say and didn't know that I had already had a previous phone interview. Interview process felt rushed and didn't test my knowledge about investment banking or about anything else for that matter. I was asked what my opinion on the market was and what the difference between capital markets and investment banking was. Answered them both correctly, but was not asked any accounting questions at all. The second interviewer asked if I had taken any accounting classes, but didn't have any follow up questions regarding the topic. Overall, very easy interview, but I didn't move on to a third round so maybe it wasn't so easy. Know your background and how it relates to the position and just be ready for the typical banking questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Capital Markets and Investment Banking?   1 Answer
    • What is going on in the market ? What is your opinion on where the market is going?   1 Answer