DataStax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

DataStax Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

3.1

Product Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in September 2016.

Interview

I had a referral from one of the company's executives to help connect me with the hiring manager. We coordinated a conversation shortly thereafter and spoke on the phone for about 30 minutes. I thought the conversation went relatively well, but never heard back despite repeated attempts to follow up with her. Oddly enough, the position's job description changed multiple times after we talked - sometimes I wonder if it was ever filled.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at DataStax in September 2016.

Interview

The director the testing team asked questions about my previous projects and some questions related to testing software. Then, he asked me if I have any questions about their product.

Interview Questions

• Do you know apache Cassandra.   1 Answer

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Cincinnati, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with hiring manager, two different current solutions engineers, VP of solution Engineering, sales management and sales rep. At one point you will have to go through the "flight exercise" - valuable technical journey.

Interview Questions

• How does NoSQL differ from RDBMS   1 Answer

Enterprise Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in June 2016.

Interview

The recruiter didn't show up for initial interview, rescheduled and then was SO RUDE during the interview that I wouldn't ever consider working for this company. She actually argued that the company I previously worked for didn't do what I was explaining they did. Seriously the worst interview ever, the noise in the background was loud and she was extremely unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience selling SaaS in the Enterprise space?   1 Answer

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process went quickly. But like one earlier reviewer said, the recruiter worked from what seemed like a boiler room with a lot of clanking around and background noise. It was very distracting and unprofessional

Interview Questions

• How is the interview going?   1 Answer

Field Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Remote, OR) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly standard for a remote opportunity: screening call with the recruiter, followed by an in-depth hour long phone conversation with the hiring manager. From there, I was greenlit for a Skype interview with someone in a director-level marketing role that was in the same department as the role I was interviewing. The recruiter told me via email that positive feedback was given regarding that video interview, so then the recruiter scheduled two calls with senior sales leaders on back-to-back business days. I thought both of those calls went very well and was both surprised and disappointed to learn the following business day that DataStax was not moving forward with me as a candidate.

Overall, once the interview process started it was very fast moving and the recruiters kept me very informed and apprised of the hiring process. Although I was disappointed I did not receive an offer, it was fantastic (and practically unheard of!) that they were able to let me know they were proceeding with another candidate so quickly so I could simply move on.

The interview questions with the hiring manager and subsequent marketing and sales leaders were not difficult; they were pretty standard. Overall, it was a good albeit disappointing process as I was confident I was a great fit for the role and the team.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe how you've reached C-level executives that notoriously have multiple gatekeepers through marketing programs?   Answer Question

Sales Representative/ESM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Very fast turn around - process was two weeks. Recruiter contacted me and timing was right. New and emerging technology lots to discuss around creating opportunities versus following up on leads etc. This is a complete hunter role

Interview Questions

• Lots of value based questions and selling value and creating it. Clearly this is a push not a pull type role, which is ok I have done this in my career. If you are looking for a lead flow you won't get that here. You must identify your activity.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straight forward it was a 50/50 split no draw etc

DSE Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Quite possibly the worst interviewing experience of my career. What started out as a highly promising opportunity ended up being a huge disappointment in the company, its management and hiring practices.

The process consisted of: a phone screen with corporate recruiter, 5 Skype interviews, including director (to referred to as C below) and VP of engineering, a programming project and another phone call with the recruiter. After speaking with C, I was given a coding test which they like to be completed within a 2-4 week time frame. The project essentially was an exercise in extending a standard OS library (Lucene). It wasn't enormously challenging for a senior level engineer especially with prior experience with the subject matter, but it did present some interesting design and optimization opportunities, and it certainly could be done with varying degrees of thoroughness. I put in a lot of work into the solution and as a result it was fully documented, discussed with the reviewer in detail and resulted in 100% existing test completion. This was followed by discussions with the prospective team members and their VP of engineering (let's call him S), all of whom were jazzed about my background and overall match to their requirement, which indeed was very high. I believe S even told me something to the effect of hoping to talk to me soon as a collaborator, indicating very transparently they were interested in bringing me in.

The events of the final week unfolded as follows. Tuesday: got a request for my references from C. Wednesday: spoke with S, then sent in my references to C same day. Thursday: spoke with their recruiter, who went over the logistics of receiving an offer, how long I could wait to decide on it etc etc. Friday: found out that C spoke with my references. Also on Friday got a request for my availability for a brief phone call from C, for next Mon/Tue to discuss (what else would there be to discuss if not an offer, especially after getting my references checked - right?). After replying to C the same day, did not hear from him until Monday night. Emailed Monday night to find out the status, and simply got a one liner reply from him stating that their corporate recruiter would be in touch with me. At this point, I realized I didn't get the job. And indeed, on Tuesday she calls me and explains that as impressed as they all were with me, they had an "internal reshuffling" and at the last minute an internal candidate came up through the woodwork and bumped me out, because they always give internal promotions a preference. Leaving aside the implausibility of such an outcome, this is outrageous on multiple levels. First: total waste of time of multiple people, starting with me, their team, and ultimately my references. Second: instead of communicating directly and openly about the outcome (and possibly extending an apology), C chose to hide behind their corporate recruiter which smells of a really crappy corporate culture. Third: you just don't contact references if you are still on the fence about the candidate - not in this industry, ever. Reference checks are really just the final dot over the i. When pushed for a more detailed explanation, their recruiter got defensive on me and said that a reference check is not a guarantee of an offer. While technically true, in practice it is almost inconceivable to get rejected as a result of their reference check; mine were impeccable anyway. What really happened here on their end is only slightly better than rescinding an official verbal or written offer.

One final note: the entire interviewing process for me was remote as was the position itself - disregard the location I listed below.

Sales Enablement Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in December 2015.

Interview

Spoke to the Hiring Manager via phone for 45 minutes and felt the call was cut very short compared to calls I have had with other hiring managers at other companies. The recruiter then called me shortly afterward to set up an on-site interview and I let her know that I felt it was a bit early in the process for an on-site and wished to speak over the phone with a couple of other people at the company to make sure the job was a fit before traveling in an airplane for an (unpaid and lengthy) on-site interview. After that, the recruiter stopped returning my emails and phone calls, which seemed very unprofessional considering I did not do anything wrong. Seems like even though the company's sales management has been replaced with new leaders, the "core culture" of the company may still (unfortunately) be the same. If you are looking for a friendly and flexible work environment, this company may not be the best place for you. If you don't want to take my word for it, just read through the company's Glassdoor profile and see what their employees have to say about them.

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DataStax.

Interview

The weirdest interview I ever had.
    HR person interviewed me first, and found my resume and skills impressive, she acknowledged that existing experience with Cassandra is NOT required.
    Then she scheduled conversation with a manager in Boston - that guy was not even interested in my background and skills (I have 15+ years in IT BTW), he asked if I have experience with Cassandra (not required by the position description) and when I said "no" decided that I don't fit. Then our call suddenly dropped.
    There was no follow up at all.