DataStax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at DataStax

3.1

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax in July 2018.

Interview

I applied with Datastax at the end of June in 2018. A recruiter got in contact with me shortly after in the beginning of July. The interview process was very smooth and easy going. Datastax is a distributed team and all of the interviews were done online. I met with 6 different people from the company. The process took about 4 weeks overall since there were so many people to meet with in order to determine my technical skills as well as my cultural fit. Everyone I interviewed with were all extremely friendly, knowledgable, and easy going during the process. I can say it was the best interview process that I have been through. Even though everyone is spread out and in different timezones, they were all still available and flexible when it came to scheduling interviews without delay. The recruiters were extremely fast with getting back to me in order to schedule the next interview and answering any questions that I might have. I was extremely excited to accept the offer after hearing so much about the company, team, culture, etc.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my previous work experience and what tech stacks I have been using   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at DataStax in March 2014.

Interview

Standard interview process consisting of a phone call from a recruiter followed by multiple tech interviews via video conferencing. They will give you a programming problem to solve in your language of choice.

I solved the programming problem only to have it labeled as too simplistic of a solution. Evidently the hiring manager made a mistake in not providing a challenging enough problem to solve. I was asked to solve a more difficult version of the problem after which I decided to halt the interview process. I deem this behavior as unprofessional and a complete waste of a candidates time.

It looks like DataStax is a young company - unfortunately many of their managers lack professionalism and good interview etiquette. Some of the negative reviews from existing employees confirm this. This appears to be a case of a company promoting engineers to management roles without providing them management training.

Interview Questions

• Describe some challenges of provisioning software across a datacenter consisting of thousands of nodes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at DataStax (Columbus, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The interview process started with a brief phone screening, then a Cassandra real ticket was assigned as a technical test. It took me about 40 hrs to finish the test. I liked the test a lot the engineer assigned to answer my questions was very helpful and we had a good working experience, I succeeded in the test and my solution was simple and neat. The skype interviews were the tiring ones, they have people scattered around the world and I had different times for each interviewer (total 6). Most of the interviews went fine, they were mainly asking me about my previous job experience and also most of the technical questions were based on Multithreading and how to detect a deadlock situation and avoid it. I did a quick reader/writer test with one of the technical lead online, I was thinking about an optimum solution that I missed some basic points, the classic problem states that multiple readers can proceed and they have to be blocked if a writer gets the lock, the solution the team lead wrote was not optimum readers were blocking each other and I missed to point it out. At the end I didn't get an offer, I was upset because they failed to recognize a good software engineer, I was someone who never worked on non SQL DB before, I had no distributed systems experience and yet I went through Cassandra code base and crafted a solution that works and tested it locally and on distributed nodes. I don't see how some silly Java questions taken from some sites would give you a better idea on someones technical abilities, if I knew they would go that route I would have printed out the 100 most asked interview question and memorized them, but I think that's silly, I don't memorize the API!!!

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between ArrayList and LinkedList?   3 Answers
    • What's the role of hashcode in the hashmap   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at DataStax in September 2016.

Interview

The director the testing team asked questions about my previous projects and some questions related to testing software. Then, he asked me if I have any questions about their product.

Interview Questions

• Do you know apache Cassandra.   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Austin, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

1) Phone screen with hiring manager. This is your chance to ask questions about the position and make sure that the job you're applying for is one that you want to do. The manager wants to make sure that continuing the interview is worth the time. They'll take your temperature on the job, your experience, etc.

2) Technical screen at home. You will get homework. It will involve programming something simple, but might take you out of your comfort zone a bit. You have unlimited time to complete this. We've noticed that we rarely get the screen back after two weeks, but we would still accept it later. It will probably take you several hours of concerted work to complete.

3) Several skype or in-person interviews with members of the team and at least one "outsider" from a different part of the company. These people may have verbal technical questions, but the interviews are generally focused on whether the candidate is a good fit for the position and company.

4) Final negotiations between the internal recruiter, the candidate and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about programming the Kevin Bacon problem?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I proposed a salary and got it.

Applicant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DataStax.

Interview

Spent three months in the interview process, most of the people I talked to sounded like they didn't like their job. One of them might have wanted the role I was interviewing for, and tried to talk me out of it. Each of the interviewers sounded like they were trying to prep me for a political battle I would face upon entering the organization, and that sales leadership wasn't very open to suggestions. The whole process ended with silence on their end anyway.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DataStax in May 2017.

Interview

I had multiple rounds of phone interviews for a Non-tech graduate role. The interviewer was not sure how many people I would have to talk to and everytime when I enquired about it, mentioned that things are changing everyday. After speaking to 3 people on different days, I was called onsite. In the behavioural round, I was asked very personal questions such as where my family is, what do I enjoy cooking the most, if or if not I have kids. I was shocked and dint know how to answer them. I met 2 other people, who never questioned about my skills or background but only spoke about general things. A week later I got a rejection. This is one of the worst interviews I have attended so far where my personal details were asked for. For other interns who will be interviewing in the future, remember to stay assertive and tell the interviewer you don't want to answer them.

Interview Questions

• What is the recent food that you cooked, and your family enjoyed.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Atlanta, GA) in May 2018.

Interview

Not impressed with their interviewing process or the recruiter they used who did nothing to facilitate or provide timely feedback. On last phone interview, spoke with the head of marketing who seemed concerned that he could not see my picture on LinkedIn and that gave me a red flag. Felt that I was being judged by how I looked and he was trying to judge my age. He referenced that they have their employees put their pictures up and when I looked not everyone had pictures. Left a really bad impression on me. Never ever been asked in an interview about my LinkedIn profile picture and this company was walking a thin line with discrimination tactics IMO. After reading some other employee and interview reviews, I’m glad the interview process stopped when it did.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions until I spoke with the head of marketing who was not friendly and came off arrogant.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax.

Interview

Phone interview was very much a download of the culture, the job description and a chance to express what I could bring to the table. Once I was approved I met with 5 additional team members including the VP of Marketing, Director of Demand, Field Marketing Members and Marketing Operations. I was blown away by the energy, the intelligence and strategic ambitions. It was very exciting to hear all of the work that was being done and the potential tasks I would be taking on.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with distributed culture?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview was very different from other places I've applied to. Initially is your standard Recruiter / Director / Peer interview. But as a way to analyze your strength in knowledge and willingness to learn they put you through a Flight Exercise where they provide a few instructions with the purpose of seeing how you manage to figure things out. IMO that is the BEST way to know someone's is really fit for the job, not many people are willing to take the time but those who ARE REALLY interested, those are most likely to get chosen. Amazing experience, which made me really proud to accept the job and work there.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current company?
      How would you do a database platform sale since it requires designing and architecture?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at DataStax (Telephone, TX) in July 2018.

Interview

I passed muster with the recruiter then had a telephone conversation with a regional manager. I understand there where at least three sybsequent telephone interviews followed by an in person to meet the combined team.

Interview Questions

• They were pretty standard in terms of work experience and others of the "Tell me when...." genre.   1 Answer