DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

DataStax Reviews

Found 197 reviews

4.5
Billy Bosworth
Pros
  • "Most of us work from home but we collaborate a lot better than when I used to work in offices for other companies(in 13 reviews)

• "Good work/life balance; Great environment and culture;(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Mostly just growing pains, but could be hard for those that like structure(in 11 reviews)

• "Sales Team has undergone many negative changes and this has impacted morale as well as performance(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Culture, Interesting Work, Remote Friendly"

Current Employee - Technical Lead

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than a year

Pros

We get to work with amazing people who are extremely smart but humble. We get to work with teams that help each first. The work we are doing is cutting edge using the latest technology. Finally, because the company is so focused on remote work, the tooling is designed for that usecase perfectly

Cons

Cannot think of any at this point

Advice to Management

Keep on moving forward and embracing the new world we live in, especially with software initiatives that make us not only more relevant than we are, but pushing the boundary to being the next Kleenex only in distributed databases (i.e. Kleenex is the name brand of facial tissues, but every uses Kleenex as the name for all facial tissues)

2. "Distributed Workforce and Great Product"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than a year

Pros

The product will sell itself - soon all companies will realize it can't live without it. Distributed workforce but still feels very connected.

Cons

Not really a Con but I have to put something here. You WILL work hard, probably harder than you ever have, but it will be because you WANT to work hard! There is a ton of pride here in what we are doing!

"Remote Friendly with Excellent Teammates"

Current Employee - Curriculum Developer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been with DataStax for almost 6 months and can honestly say this is the best job I have ever had. They promote a healthy work-life balance and encourage all employees to strive to be their very best. You really do want the company to succeed. The product sells itself and it is not difficult to be enthused about sharing this knowledge with others. Working with a great team of people who all express anxious concern...

Cons

None that I can as of yet discern.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize that the employees are where the true value of a company lies. The product is great, but keeping valued and smart people around will ensure the company's growth.

"Great Engineering Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Tech Lead in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

- smart coworkers: being a 100% remote workforce means Datastax can be selective: great engineers from all over the world are employed here - having grown from a distributed team on an open source project (Cassandra), engineers are valued and given time to do things "the right way" - remote work environment with multiple timezones, etc makes for a very flexible schedule, as long as you get your work done!

Cons

- working 100% remote can be isolating for some - still a mid-sized startup; though Datastax tries to cater to its employees interests, career opportunities are limited to what's available

Advice to Management

Management at Datastax is caring, positive and thoughtful -- keep doing what you're doing.

"Solutions Engineer"

• Overall

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great Technology. Great Leadership. Great Teams. Great Customers.

Cons

Best place I've ever worked so for me there are no "cons".

"Great place to work as an engineer"

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

This is easily the best group of engineers I've worked with in my career. It's great to work with talented people who can challenge one another and grow. Good engineering culture with open communication and positive debate. Remote work: Work for a top-notch Silicon Valley startup from anywhere in the world. Distributed engineering force comprises top talent from everywhere -- not just those who will move near the...

Cons

Some growing pains as we evolve our high-level product and engineering processes (but also interesting to be part of defining those). Remote work removes some of the sociality of working with a group in an office. (there are physical offices in several cities)

"A company that doesn’t screw employees, compensate fairly, allow to work on very interesting problems as an engineer."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Remote work, working hours very flexible, management team very competent, engineers teams very competent. Great benefits for health care in the US.

Cons

Remote work can be complicated. Company is also very careful and quite strict with expenses (material for engineers and trip expenses)

"Really enjoyable experience!"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Specialist

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really good company culture - both in the sense of lifestyle (time off, remote, food, fun, etc) and enjoyable/productive work environment. The leadership has their head screwed on straight and is as transparent as I've ever seen. My colleagues are respectful, very competent, and really fun to work with. I've worked in several tech companies and this is a keeper (and I'm the type of person would would say if it's not).

Cons

None that I can think of so far.

Advice to Management

Keep us in the direction we're heading!

"Amazing culture, perks, and potential!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Distributed workforce culture means that even if you're based near an office, it's not an issue to work from home. Leadership takes employee satisfaction very seriously and values transparency. Lunch is catered (free!) at HQ every day. Company has good momentum and potential, backed by a great product.

Cons

Growing pains not unusual for a company of this size and stage. Turnover and problems with longevity for some key leadership roles in GTM. Messaging and marketing lacks consistency. It's rare to see lower level people being promoted.

Advice to Management

Spend less time analyzing and explaining "mistakes" or missteps, and focus more on charging full speed ahead. Don't be afraid of setting aggressive goals and asking more of the team. If you've hired the right people, they will rise to the challenge!

"Analyst"

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than a year

Pros

WFH is great. Promote video calls to keep us connected. Everyone is super smart! Always open to your spin on things! Good recognition.

Cons

Getting market traction. Seems we cannot hit our targets, which sometimes puts a damper on mood.

Advice to Management

Keep up the recognition. Try to keep things positive so we do not get down on missing our targets.

Found 197 reviews