DataStax Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

211.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=DataStax~524413
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and priorities!(in 33 reviews)
  • "Some great people to work with and decent lunch.(in 29 reviews)
  • "I love my team and and its great to be surrounded by people who want DataStax to succeed.(in 24 reviews)
  • "Awesome company with great leadership and vision.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Great benefits like Health and wellness!(in 18 reviews)
Cons
  • "The management in marketing was awful, there was a lot of fear(in 14 reviews)
  • "New CEO can be a bit harsh, but hearing the truth hurts.(in 10 reviews)
  • "100+ people laid off in the past 6 months including a layoff the week prior to the end of December (Holidays)... never a good sign.(in 7 reviews)
  • "very fast, and long hours (though, to be fair, long hours are also a result of covid)(in 6 reviews)
  • "Younger managers don’t make time for employees; not focused on employee growth, lack of communication/direction, lack of professionalism, emphasis on favoritism.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DataStax and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

Pros and Cons to work at Datastax

Feb 20, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a very collaborative environment. The team mates really help each other. The company provides generous benefits on top of the compensations in the contract. Fantastic opportunities to grow the skills.

Cons

Not necessarily cons but it might be for some people - you need to learn vigorously to keep up with the innovation.

2. 5.0

An Opportunity to Make a Difference

May 26, 2022 - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Our products are best of breed and deeply relevant to companies and industries re-wiring around smart, real time customer experiences and business processes. The company values thoughtfully taking initiative to make our customers or other DataStaxers more successful.

Cons

It is a fast-paced environment, and you absolutely must take ownership of helping yourself, your peers, and your coach (i.e., manager) stay focused on what matters most: if are a passive "order taker," you risk being overwhelmed or burnt out.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

DS has accelerated my career post-grad

May 26, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a recent college graduate, I joined DataStax as an intern, “attempting to fake it until I make it”. However, throughout my time here I have found countless mentors and now friends who have guided me through the thicks and thins of my position, going far beyond their own job titles. As a team, they continuously push me to new potentials and I could not be more grateful to be in an environment of strong, resilient individuals who are ready to make a difference within our community. DataStax also offers fantastic benefits including Mental Health Benefits that have allowed me to purchase a gym membership. The gym has now become my safe haven allowing me to break away from the day-to-day, re-group, and truly hit the ground running once the next day begins.

Cons

There is constant movement and a lack of consistency. However, that often comes with companies of this maturity.

4. 5.0

Progressed from BDR to Account Executive

May 26, 2022 - Account Executive in Sunnyvale, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super thankful to be mentored by incredible leaders. The team at DataStax has really nurtured my professional journey as I moved from intern, BDR, and to now as an AE. Immensely thankful to be inspired by driven leaders with a common vision. As a woman, I am greatly honored to represent the company.

Cons

Updating the sales enablement resources for new AES (especially Astra, CDC, streaming). Lastly, marketing brings in more quality MQLS.

5. 5.0

Something Special

May 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've had the chance to work for a few tech companies and this one is just different. I've been here for a year now and it still feels like something special. We are constantly driving to innovate and find new ways to leverage data in all parts of our work.

Cons

The pace of this place is not for everyone. We move fast.

6. 5.0

Outstanding company

May 26, 2022 - Coach in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership Company prospects Camaraderie / culture Perks

Cons

No notable cons observed yet

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Love the leadership and culture

May 26, 2022 - Business Development Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership - CEO and coaches Culture Continuous education on products/services Benefits Incentives Remote work

Cons

There is a lot of change, but I personally don't think change is bad.

8. 5.0

I love it here!

Apr 7, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

The team here is invested in my success. I have all the technology, expertise and training I need to win ever deal. Great BDR and Marketing organization too. Love the $1,000 wellness benefit I can spend on things like gym membership, massages, running shoes, golf clubs, ski lift passes, and more. Love the quarterly refresh that provides 2 days off, 1 week off in August and 1 week off last week of the year, amoung other standard planned holidays. Pay is exceptional too!

Cons

Team is experiencing a lot of growth, so keeping up with the new faces is something that I have to make the time to keep up with. Not really a big issue. Just something I have to give extra attention too.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

One team, one mission and one goal

May 1, 2022 - Pre-Sales Data Architect in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership at DataStax is something I have never seen and experienced in my 20+ years in IT. Chet Kapoor's passion to believe and making us believe in our mission as one team is simply amazing, motivating and quite encouraging. I feel really blessed to be working under Chet's leadership and with every colleague who makes my job fun.

Cons

None that I know and speak of.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Grain of Salt, but...

May 5, 2022 - Senior Sales Enablement Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I always tell people to approach reviews for anything with a grain of salt. With that being said, I do want to share my thoughts/experiences/opinions: - Fast moving company doing some good things with/for the Apache Cassandra community - Hiring like crazy to get their word out - Pretty good pay for the role that I was in - Some talented, smart, great people that want to help you be successful. There can be a strong sense of team...depends on what group you are a part of. - Benefits are really good...cover 100% of the cost. There are no out of pocket expenses. Offer a great annual health stipend to apply towards something that will help you stay mentally and physically in shape (got a Garmin watch to help me track my activities).

Cons

With the good, comes the not so good: - Was not my choice to leave and it came as a surprise (small team was cut for restructure) - Was in my role for about 10 months and reported to 8 different leaders in my time there! Our small team never really had input/feedback on how we were doing (good or bad) until the last 2 months, which were all very positive about completed work. Overall, there wasn't an opportunity to make adjustments to what the business really needed. - Was hired for specific role but never really felt my experience was leveraged - Constantly shifting directions, which make it hard to learn / consume for our team and sellers. - Sales enablement seemed to be more of a checkbox to say they have it vs really looking at how that function can really help sales improve. Learned after I started there was already a sales enablement team in place prior to us that were also moved out of their function. - Tools for success were never really implemented so we were left with a lot of manual lifting / tasks - Many silos...many people working on the same initiatives but not a lot of hand shaking taking place (left hand doing without the right hand knowing) - Exec leadership seemed like a click - Work life balance was not great…worked all the time and at the end, was rewarded with them cutting me on employee appreciation week (and they still sent me a gift…got it after I was gone). Indicates to me that it was a very last minute decision. - Company values look great on paper but not really lived/executed

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 399 Reviews

DataStax Reviews FAQs

DataStax has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 415 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at DataStax to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, DataStax employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at DataStax. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

78% of DataStax employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated DataStax 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at DataStax to be career development, benefits, senior leadership and the cons to be workplace, management.

Popular Careers with DataStax Job Seekers