DataStax Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Billy Bosworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great technology, smart people, leading edge use cases" (in 10 reviews)

• "Culturally this is a great fit for me, and I love working with smart people so I'm here to stay" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sales Team has undergone many negative changes and this has impacted morale as well as performance" (in 10 reviews)

• "It's a start-up and as such is experiencing normal growing pains" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Product + Great People = Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you have a product that is a leader on it's kind. You are not really "selling", you are spreading the word on a truly great platform that can enable innovation, and being part of that is just amazing.
    - The Product is amazing and is getting better
    - The People are outgoing, warming and respectful
    - At HQ you have everything you need
    - The Benefits are great and so is the Compensation

Cons

Is a growing company, and they are working on structures. But this is nothing bad, time is all they need but otherwise is the best company I've worked for

Advice to Management

Continue to think on your people, continue to support your people, keep your employees in mind as you are doing now.

"Home"

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture
    Fantastic collaboration
    Solid support for a distributed workforce

Cons

No 401k match yet, hopefully changing soon

"Great Company With Typical Growing Pains"

I have been working at DataStax (More than a year)

Pros

- Work from home (as much as you want)
    - Good pay
    - Good benefits (unlimited vacay, insurance premiums covered, etc...)
    - Great technology and product that enterprises truly need
    - Excellent leadership at the very top
    - Very recognized clients/customers who are crazy about the company and the product and willing to be advocates for DataStax

Cons

(Typical start-up growing pains)
    - Still struggling a bit to find cultural identity
    - Middle and upper management very chaotic at the moment with lots of firings and turnover and drama
    - Sales has been given unrealistic goals and is under extreme pressure
    - Having trouble lately finding and sticking to a product message and product direction

Advice to Management

Take this period (ie, last six months) as a learning tool and adapt accordingly. Be smarter with hiring middle and upper management. If someone's coming in who is unable to bring in a team for himself, it should be a red flag. Hold managers more accountable for their actions. Find a mission and stick to it with confidence. It's not necessarily about the market telling you what to do -- it's about you telling the market what it needs.

"Tetering on the brink"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- High paying (To the point their investors should question hiring practices)
    - Remote work
    - Cutting edge product that actually works really well

Cons

- Lacks leadership from the top down throughout
    - Limited career path options
    - Horribly ineffective sales team blowing it with a once in a lifetime market opportunity
    - Bad pricing strategy
    - Horrible marketing team/program
    - Poorly designed organization is unable to execute effectively
    - Culturally can't decide if it wants to be a startup or enterprise
    - Inadequate benefits
    - No vacation entitlements

Advice to Management

Clean house, especially in the GTM/Sales arena. Get organized to execute. Find a different benefits provider. Grow up culturally.

"Best distributed company in the world"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of AAA quality colleagues that are truly enjoyable to work with. They're either very nice or very intelligent or both. Over the years we've lost some tech talents to tech titans like Apple, Netflix, Facebook, etal, but we still have quite some world-class technical people remaining on the team for a long time, which is a testament on the strength of the products we're building, and the positive company culture we're experiencing. Speaking about culture, in my career I've done quite some telecommuting work in many of my previous jobs, but this one might be the best remote working culture I've ever had in my career, which I also suspect is one of the reasons why we're still able to retain a lot of those world-class talents, because this is a rare company that 100% supports remote work and treats employees fairly.

It is a late stage startup that is mature and managed by very experienced executives, which means quite reasonable work/life balance, well organized internal process, and responsible financial control, but at the same time compensating people fairly and competitively to attract and retain the best talents.

The top executives (CEO and President) are very approachable and actively listen to the feedback from the employees, and if you're shy, there's always a quarterly anonymous survey where you can write any kind of rating, feedback and suggestions which will be read by the executives. Based on my experience, TBH you really should find a chance of talking to the CEO in person, because you will realize that he's a very likeable and sincere person who truly cares about you and your success in this company.

Cons

100% remote work sometimes can add unique challenges (distractions, all sorts of teleconference failures, etal), but I guess the benefits of flexible time and no-commute greatly overshadow the challenges so maybe this is not so much of a con. (BTW, glassdoor forces me to pick a city as my location but I don't want to use my home city to expose my identity, and there's no option to choose "remote" or "telecomuting", so I'm going to use the company's HQ city Santa Clara.)

Advice to Management

Keep making the company the best distributed company in the world

"Anonymous"

Pros

Catered lunch, snacks on hand, a few really intelligent people

Cons

Finance department is lacking good leadership. Not many of the higher ups want to put in the work to see this company succeed. Stop preaching about it and lift up your sleeves and do something. Culture is lacking, high turnover.

"Mis-Managed and Horrible Culture"

I worked at DataStax full-time

Pros

The product is great, but so is OSS Cassandra. Is charging for something that is free truly sustainable?

Cons

Culture is abysmal and the root of the culture issue is the executive team. They are entitled, childish, rude, unapproachable, and overall, not the type of people you want to spend any time with voluntarily. They have done a great job of making that team very homogenous. Severe lack of diversity and the HQ is based in the Silicon Valley- Shameful.

"Great place to be for results-minded people"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in San Jose, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a company that cares about its employees' business impact, working collaboratively across every dimension of the company, and delivering for our enterprise customers. Leaders are driven and focused, but compassionate and kind with a real vision for a corporate culture based on respect, trust, and a growth mindset.

Cons

Working at a fast-paced company in a high growth phase requires a dedication and discipline from everyone to focus on outsized results. Not everyone can keep up with that.

Advice to Management

As we're building a great team, let's also build out some great systems. But keep focusing on hiring for amazing "DNA" in our people. DataStaxers are the best I've encountered.

"Exciting Time"

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, remote work- and it actually works! Salaries are competitive. Everyone is really friendly, motivated, and open to getting to know you. Diverse group in lots of different ways. Work hard, play hard. Everyone is accomplished in their own right and smart, but no egos. Enterprise strategy is working. Transparency and communication w/ leadership + Employee recognition +

Cons

You still get a sense of some old silos and separation between groups. Not as much sharing of info or ways of doing things across groups as I would've expected from a company of this size & stage, but it's definitely getting better with time.

Advice to Management

Management and VPs are trying so that is appreciated. Continue to hire the best regardless of location and invest in current employees. Keep emphasizing to the public how much better and different we are than the competition (internally we know, that's why we joined). 401K matching?

"Just Awesome"

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Great transparent, collaborative culture with really smart people
    Incredible market opportunity, the intersection of data and cloud.
    Amazing product with some of the biggest brands in the world as customers

Cons

It's an intense place to be. Not in a negative way but it is a high-growth startup that is set on changing the world so expectations are high

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of communicating strategy and aligning the teams.