Datadog Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Datadog

2.9

Commercial Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Datadog (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

HR screening, followed by interviews with reporting manager and VPs.

All are focused on your skills and experience to make sure they are aligned with what the job requires which they will share with you, so you can showcase exactly how your experience will fit.

If all go well, they will give you an assignment.

It took about a month to go through the entire process. What’s funny is that one of them gives me a feedback which is 180 degree different from what I have been sharing from my experience that they have focused on as requirements for this role and tells me I don’t have the specific experience in something that has never been brought up during the entire interview process.

So, I wasn’t quite sure if they wanted to hire this role. I felt like I spent time and effort that went into the drain.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why are you looking?
      2. Why DataDog?
      3. Questions around your specific experience that is aligned with what the job requires (though they may not be important as the focus on requirements seemed to have made a 180 degree turn)   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Datadog in September 2017.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn, then I was given the opportunity to talk with someone about my interests, then I had a phone technical, then I had a take home project. I was a bit disappointed that I wasted a few days working on the project then given on feedback on it. I want to take the interview seriously, but I am unfortunately very busy and to return a project they probably would have wanted I think I would have had to dedicate way more time than I had. I admittedly had other obligations and had to stop short.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Datadog (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Fairly straight-forward interview process consisting of a technical phone screen, a half-day on-site to meet with more of the team and founders, and an informal lunch with the team.
    The technical interviews are not in the vein of Cracking the Coding Interview, but rather much more practical, and clearly trying to observe how you would solve the types of problems they have solved (and continue to solve).

The whole process also took an exorbitantly long time.
    In the end, I was not extended an offer because they couldn't find a fit for me on any of the existing teams, though I wish they had discovered that sooner to avoid wasting much of my time (and theirs).

Interview Questions

• Implement run-length encoding and decoding.   1 Answer
    • Implement a reverse Fibonacci number generator as efficiently as possible.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Datadog (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Got introduced to Datadog through a recruiter. Had a skype and coding session before going for the in-person interview. On site, had a coding, then design interview, and later met with the CEO.

Negotiation

3 tier offer with varying stock/salary options.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Datadog in May 2017.

Interview

After an initial call with their HR recruiting person, I had a phone screen that was fairly straightforward, basic discussion of my background and some basic coding exercises to see if I could code. I passed and was given a take-home code challenge where I was asked to write a system monitoring app.

I spent maybe 10 or more hours on this, personally, over a couple days. The primary issue is that it requires a graph with live updates, and I had no prior experience with d3 or other data visualization libraries. I spent a lot of time working with these libraries to try to get a well-animated live-updating graph with scrolling axes and all, and I put a lot of effort into it.

After 4 business days + a weekend with no response after submitting, I sent them an email and immediately heard back that they would be moving forward with someone else whose background better aligned with their needs. After requesting more specific feedback (no comment on the code at all? not going to talk about my design choices over a call? not even going to mention it?), they told me that I "could have separated the app into more React components" (something I had noted to them as a possible improvement myself when I submitted it) and that I "used == in one place that should have used ===".

I started feeling like I dodged a bullet here, if they were going to give such superficial and dismissive feedback on an app encompassing 300+ lines of code (server+client) and a carefully designed data visualization. To me it seemed pretty clear I put a lot of effort into their take-home project, and now I felt like my time was wasted in an uncaring and disinterested way. Instead of looking for *any* positive aspects, they sought out a couple things that were trivially less than perfect and made that the basis of their conclusions.

Would not recommend wasting your time with this company.

Interview Questions

• Implement a system load monitoring app   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Datadog (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I was scheduled for an hour long phone interview having a coding test for which a laptop was required. An on-site interview was later scheduled by a recruiter.

I was told by an interviewer that they use Python 2.7, Go and Scala. They do not use Docker themselves even though they offer monitoring for Docker containers; this to me is a bad sign. They are gradually moving away from Python toward Go. They've no plans to migrate to Python 3, also a bad sign. Moreover, an interviewer became quite defensive about Python 2.7 when Python 3 was discussed during the on-site interview.

The strangest part of the interview was that they inexplicably canceled my planned lunch and also the final round of the interview. This felt rude considering I had to take a day off to be there. The reason they gave was that they had a production issue.

I received feedback after three business days that they went with another candidate who had Python instrumentation experience. This is odd because no one asked me for my general Python instrumentation experience during the interview; I have it even on GitHub. Moreover, I had been previously informed by multiple interviewers at their company that the interview is for a general fit agnostic to any particular programming language.

The on-site coding interviewer didn't even have an IDE or code editor set up on the laptop used for the coding test portion.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to indicate if a string containing multiple instances of the characters "(" and ")" along with other unrelated characters is balanced. Upon writing this function, explain how you would write a function to detect for the balance despite the balance of zero or more ascii emojis in the string. The second part of the question was ambiguously defined and the interviewer persisted with it despite acknowledging that it's ambiguous.   Answer Question
    • Given a set of four digit numbers, and two numbers A and B which are in the set, indicate if A and B are chainable. Any numbers X and Y are chainable if the last two digits of X are the first two digits of Y, with any number of chainable numbers in between. For example, given the set {8363, 6388, 8183, 5364, 8353, 8365, 9380}, A=8183, B=6388, yes, A and B are chainable (as [8183, 8363, 6388]).

Note that the problem was described quite poorly by the interviewer. He initially used the term "list" rather than a "set". Only after much prodding for different examples did he clarify that he actually meant a "set" and not a "list". He asked me to describe the solution before coding it. Although I described a perfectly accurate but somewhat inefficient solution, he went on to add a requirement that he wanted a more efficient solution. Once we decided upon the efficient solution, I had only five minutes remaining to implement it.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were disappointed in your performance at work. What did you do to resolve the matter?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Datadog (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Did a recruiter call, two remote technical interviews, then they flew me to their NYC office for on-site interviews. Then a call with their VP of Engineering, who seemed excited and offered several roles I could fill.

Then they ghosted on me. After *WEEKS* of emailing recruiters and devs I’d been in touch with, I finally dragged it out of them.

“Sorry, the salary number you threw out at THE VERY BEGINNING of our process is too high for our CTO, who you never talked to.” I told them a 10% bump over my current pay.

No discussion, no negotiation, no bargaining, no exchange, no talking, no feedback. Rude.

Giant waste of time. Either low-ball yourself and hope to negotiate up, or better yet, don’t bother.

Interview Questions

• Design a highly reliable instagram-mention-detector   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Datadog (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online (can't remember where). Spoke to a recruiter on the phone within a few days, went on to onsite a week later (no phone screen).

Onsite consisted of 3 sessions: 2 design, 1 Q&A with the CTO. There was no coding interview.

At the end of the interview, I asked why no coding interview had been included - the answer was a refreshing "we looked at your open source contributions". No other company I interviewed with bothered to look at my publicly-available work!

The Q&A with the CTO was casual and focused on personality and career goals, which I also quite enjoyed. Generally, the interview process felt pragmatic and tailored to me personally.

When competing offers came in, my recruiter was responsive throughout. All in all, I enjoyed the process.

Indicated accepted offer though I haven't accepted yet.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Datadog.

Interview

I was reached out by the recruiter on LinkedIn first. She kept rescheduling our appointment, and over half month later we finally we talked on the phone. The conversation was quick and I received a follow-up message from her, literally just saying "your phone and resume please", which sounds rude. The overall experience is passive and made me not want to move forward with Datadog.

Sugguestion to the recuiter : 1. respect candidate's time, espeically when you reached out first;
    2. do your research before the converation and save our time, I'd be happy to send you resume if you could ask ealier; 3. be professional and write email/message in business language;

Interview Questions

• we only chatted over phone so far   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Datadog.

Interview

Phone screen consisted of 30 minutes of talk about past projects, then 30 minutes of coding interviews. Pretty uncomfortable experience overall - during the technical portion the interviewer insisted the entire time that a solution to a simple problem that turned out to be correct was incorrect. It was a popular interview question with a couple of ways to solve optimally, and it seemed like the interviewer assumed that it was wrong because it wasn’t the solution that had in mind, without actually reading the code

Interview Questions

• Max difference between array elements   1 Answer