Department for Work And Pensions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Department for Work And Pensions Interview Questions

Interviews at Department for Work And Pensions

Sort:

Pensions Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Sunderland, North East England, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Online application, 1 competency example of no more than 250 words. Online scenario based judgement test. Overall not too difficult, good communication throughout the process, email received the day after the interview to say, passed the minimum standard required.

Interview Questions

• 4 questions, based on the 4 competencies listed in the job specification.   Answer Question

Job Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Plymouth, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Two person interview. Woman looked like she was sucking on lemon. Man was friendly the woman was rude ignorant asked me to tell her about my past. Which I did. No job offer feedback said that I talked about my history which was irrelevant to her. I passed the test on line with 95% better than average and I had worked there before for 8 years. It took them 3 month to arrange an interview and another month to give feedback. Feel like I wasted my time.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to tell me about another job and how I performed. I used the WHO model of answer and I gave full frank explanation of outcome.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions.

Interview

Written Application form including one competency followed by online test which is used to sift applications then competency based interview by two panel members. Whole process took around 3 months to complete.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The entire process from start to finish was extremely unprofessional and from a government agency I expected far more. You start by applying through the Civil Service website, at the end of your application form you have to complete three tests: judgement, maths, and verbal. Note that these tests are extremely buggy, I had significant issues completing the tests as there was so many errors in its software. Dont waste your time in filing a complaint because despite claiming they will resolve the issue in 5 days, 3 weeks later and they still are baffling to what's the issue. Next, the interview itself was dreadful. After speaking with one of the interviewers on the phone she confirmed what ID I needed to bring, however once I got to my interview they decided suddenly they needed more ID, despite having brought all of the ID they had asked for. They were gracious (and I use this term loosely) to let me have my interview first before having to go home to get more ID, however the interview was very rushed. The interviewers themselves did not seem interested and we're extremely rude and abrupt, making it very obvious throughout the interview whether they liked you or not and whether you actually stood a chance at getting the job. This, in addition to overhearing one of the staff stating her daughter was interviewing for that same job the same day, was evidence enough that the entire interview was for just for show. Sure enough I was not offered the position and the interview feedback was inaccurate and has little thought put into it, as it was clear from the very vague and incorrect comments made.

Interview Questions

• Follow the competency questions they give you as they will ask during the interview.   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions in February 2017.

Interview

Interview was ok. Didn't get much personality from them and they seemed to be a little inexperienced at interviewing. Its been 4 weeks and still haven't had any feedback on the post but I've heard the amount of vetting they do can cause the process to be really slow.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Birmingham, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The questions covered the same competencies mentioned in the application. You can expand on the same examples from the application, or mention new ones. It is really worth checking your score from the application and using this for guidance. Also check the competency framework.

Everyone was extremely friendly and made me feel at ease. It was very well run. However, the feedback I received differed hugely from the application feedback, despite me giving very similar (and much more detailed) responses, so although the points system is there for consistency it didn't seem that consistent.

I was put on the reserve list and contacted about 3 months later with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How have you motivated a team? (Relating to 'collaboration and partnering')   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions.

Interview

Relaxed interview although structured around competencies. The two panelists were friendly and encouraging. They took turns questioning me on four competencies and gently prompted for more info where needed.
    I scored 5,5,6,5. It was not as intimidating as I expected.
    You are perfectly entitled to take some written prompts of your own, so that you don't freeze up.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ramsgate, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Ramsgate, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

You have to do a strange test online and the results were completely different from what I feel i'm good at.
    What is frustrating is the job description fitted perfectly to my experience but the interview questions didn't coincide with the job that was being offered. They also say at the beginning they want to help get the best out of you but when they are asking questions that involve deadlines and looking at difficult information when they know your job experience doesn't involve any of that its pretty difficult to sound good.

Interview Questions

• When have you looked at difficult information and had to make a decision?   4 Answers

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied for the AO role in Disability Operations, scored 4 on all competencies which were; Managing a quality service, Making effective decisions, Delivering at pace, collaborating and partnering and then went onto completing a Verbal Reasoning Test. I was accepted to an interview, which went really well, with 2 interviewers, who came across quite decent and nice to talk to - not so intimidating; the interview itself was pretty thorough, which included me having to answer competency based questions in further detail. The overall process so far has been great, but I am still awaiting feedback on whether I have been accepted for the role or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have had to adapt to a radical change and how it affected customers.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions in January 2018.

Interview

The whole interview process (from application to interview and formal offer) took 2 months and you'll find that is the norm with DWP.

The competencies are very simple - Just think of 1 example in your life whether in work or voluntary that fits the competency and write it down thoroughly on PC or paper. You are absolutely allowed to refer to your notes during the interview. Do not fear referring to your notes - you will NOT be marked down.

I had 1 example for each competency but you are more than welcome to write down 2 for each. It is absolutely imperative that you read and revise from your notes and practise daily up until to your interview. I was given 2 weeks notice for my interview and would put in 1-2 hours of revision every day (intensive revision 2-3 days before said interview)

You will be interviewed by 2 people they are absolutely wonderful so there is no need to worry. They will not try to trip you up. They will ask for clarity and/or more details if they require but that may not be the case if you have answered the competency in complete detail.

Prior to the interview make sure you get caffeine down you so you are fully awake.

Finally, go in there with your head held high, make sure you have revised as best as you can. It's all about preperation and determination.