Department for Work And Pensions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Department for Work And Pensions Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2017

Administrative Officer Birmingham Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Birmingham, England (UK)).

Interview

When going for an interview it is important to extend your competencies. A general rule of thumb is to record your competencies and you want to be taking for about a 4 minute mark per comp. Mine were around 650-723 words each. I found it helpful to write out what i was going to say and then learn it but everyone is different. Some people would say this is too scripted but it is better to be over prepared and make sure you check off all the competency requirements than ramble on without knowing if you have or have not.

I was told to expect an ice breaker, something like 'how did you find the online tests?' 'why work for the DWP? those sort of questions so spend a little time thinking about this, not too long however as you are only actually scored and judged on your competencies. You will know they are talking about your competencies when they start saying 'can you give an example' or 'explain a time when..'

after each competency they may ask you probing questions about a competency that you might not have talked about, for example in deliverance at pace they may ask... 'how did you stay focused' which is in the framework?. These questions give you the best opportunity to get the highest score.
    I was told to expect a worded question and then to have to figure out what to expect. I say i was told as my actual experience was different however I think it is useful to prepare for things like this. An example would be that they might not ask you directly about delivery at pace they may say 'can you give us an example of when you had to perform a task under timed conditions?' Last general point before my actual interview experience, always ask a question at the end. Even if the question is just 'when will successful applicants be informed about this job'.

My actual interview was very different and also very straight forward. I was given 2 interviewers and a big jug of water. Use this! between answers I found it useful to fill my glass up and if i became stuck on my competency i would naturally take a sip of water as a pause to think moment. another thing it add is that this is not a timed or memory test, take your time, as long as you need. you will not be marked down for this. Also you are allowed to bring cue cards into the interview, since everyone else will have them, definitely do not miss out on this advantage. write down either key words, competency points, anything you may forgot in advance.

even though I was prepared for obscure questions my interviewers asked me directly 'we are now going to talk about deliverance at pace, can you give an example of a time when you delivered at pace'. and so on for all 4 competencies. i also had no icebreaker questions.

my interview slot was 1 hour long but it lasted 25 minutes. Sorry this is a long review but I myself looked online for reviews and needed all the help I could get. I received 7s for all 4 competencies. Do not worry if they do not ask any follow up questions to your competencies as i was only asked 1 other question, it was about my recognition. Most competencies like to end in a WOW scenario but I told them that even if it didn't seem like a big thing to others, my recognition was a big thing to me.

If you have got to this stage, well done and remember the interviewers are not tying to trip you up or make you fail. Be polite, smile a lot and seem confident. it is okay to admit your nervous just don't let the nerves get in the way of your deliverance.

Good luck to anyone who is going for an interview.

I will also add if your offered a job it will be a provisional offer subject to 20 day clearance checks. not a quick process I know.

Interview Questions

• delivery at pace, managing a quality service, collaborating and partnering, making effective decisions.   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions in February 2017.

Interview

Interview was ok. Didn't get much personality from them and they seemed to be a little inexperienced at interviewing. Its been 4 weeks and still haven't had any feedback on the post but I've heard the amount of vetting they do can cause the process to be really slow.

Interview Questions

• Managing a Quality Service, Making Effective Decisions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

The entire process from start to finish was extremely unprofessional and from a government agency I expected far more. You start by applying through the Civil Service website, at the end of your application form you have to complete three tests: judgement, maths, and verbal. Note that these tests are extremely buggy, I had significant issues completing the tests as there was so many errors in its software. Dont waste your time in filing a complaint because despite claiming they will resolve the issue in 5 days, 3 weeks later and they still are baffling to what's the issue. Next, the interview itself was dreadful. After speaking with one of the interviewers on the phone she confirmed what ID I needed to bring, however once I got to my interview they decided suddenly they needed more ID, despite having brought all of the ID they had asked for. They were gracious (and I use this term loosely) to let me have my interview first before having to go home to get more ID, however the interview was very rushed. The interviewers themselves did not seem interested and we're extremely rude and abrupt, making it very obvious throughout the interview whether they liked you or not and whether you actually stood a chance at getting the job. This, in addition to overhearing one of the staff stating her daughter was interviewing for that same job the same day, was evidence enough that the entire interview was for just for show. Sure enough I was not offered the position and the interview feedback was inaccurate and has little thought put into it, as it was clear from the very vague and incorrect comments made.

Interview Questions

• Follow the competency questions they give you as they will ask during the interview.   Answer Question

Work Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bournemouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Bournemouth, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a Competency based interview. There were two members in the panel. Each took turns to ask questions on 4 competencies. Over all it was a very structured process - although they said it would last 1 hour it did not take more than 30 minutes. My advice for future DWP job seekers would be to prepare a couple of answers for each competency and practice thoroughly ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time you had to use technology for the benefit of yourselves and others.   1 Answer

UC Telephony Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Online, got invited to and completed initial online test, waited for results, was invited to interview.

Was a panel of assessors, writing down my responses in turn as I was asked competency questions as per the application. Took about the greater part of an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you demostrated making effective decisions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Competency Based interview. The people interviewing were were warm and welcoming and made me comfortable - asking if my chair was comfortable.
    They answered all the questions I had in the end
    Only thing disappointing they spoke over me would not let me complete what I was talking.. would definitely except more from a civil officer.
    I somehow felt they did not have interviewing skills.

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Entry: Two interviews, each taking turns to ask questions whilst the other takes notes. I noticed whilst some interviewers looked more friendly and easy going others appeared more austere.

Interview: I was asked a question on each competency: Leading and communicating, Making an effective decision, Building capability and Providing a quality service. The questions were straightforward but I I felt they expected a high level answer to each competency. They did prompt me at times If they felt I hadn't answered the question well enough.

They allowed me to use my notes which I had in a folder and organised in a way so that I could refer to them when answering the questions. I also showed them evidence of skills etc although they seemed dismissive and indifferent to the documentation I provided them. This could be because the interview is solely based on my answers tot he question.

They asked my about my digital skills which was an underlining theme of the interview. They wanted to get an insight into why I thought digital services were beneficial and what I would do for customers who struggle to use them. I used different case examples even after providing them with my main case example. It really depends what follow up questions they ask. Sometimes I had to give different examples (as mentioned above).

They interview took about 1 hour. 15 minutes for each question approx. I put no offer because I'm still awaiting the results.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time u provided exceptional customer service   Answer Question

Work Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Albans, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Saint Albans, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on line. Application form only takes into account your last 5 years work experience and does not request education or qualification information. Two 250 word competence based evidence questions required - each referring to their Competence framework and structure depending on the level of the position. Upon completing the Application Form you are required to sit a times 30 min on-line multiple choice test involving various situational scenario and mathematics. (NB If you fail the on-line test they will look at your Application Form and the process ends)
    The Interview was 3 weeks later in front of a panel of 3 very friendly interviewers. 45/ 60 mins long, All questions were based on a set of 4 pre advised competencies. The panel do not see your application form prior to the interview and so know nothing about you.
    Out come of interview not expected for 3 weeks

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions (Birmingham, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The questions covered the same competencies mentioned in the application. You can expand on the same examples from the application, or mention new ones. It is really worth checking your score from the application and using this for guidance. Also check the competency framework.

Everyone was extremely friendly and made me feel at ease. It was very well run. However, the feedback I received differed hugely from the application feedback, despite me giving very similar (and much more detailed) responses, so although the points system is there for consistency it didn't seem that consistent.

I was put on the reserve list and contacted about 3 months later with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• How have you motivated a team? (Relating to 'collaboration and partnering')   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Department for Work And Pensions.

Interview

2 interviewers, they take it in turns asking the questions whilst the other writes. It's competency based questions and they score you out of 7 for your answers. Will prompt you by asking questions if they haven't got the information they needed for your first answer. A lot of preparation is needed and use of the framework provided in the website is essential to get the job