Dolby Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2017

2.9

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Overall, I enjoyed speaking with the actual product team, but did not appreciate the back and forth and lack of cohesion as I went through the intern recruiting process for this position.
    First round interview was coordinated promptly and consisted of 30-minute phone screen.
    After follow up with the recruiter, received an email from a different recruiting coordinator 8 days later at the end of the day (5 p.m.) to schedule a second phone screen the next morning. Also asked about my timeline and other opportunities. Promptly scheduled phone screen for next morning. After 20 minutes waiting for the call, emailed the recruiter and found out the person was on vacation. Rescheduled the second phone screen for the following week. After waiting for the call, I emailed the recruiter, received an out of office and was redirected to another recruiter. Received a response that they forgot to cancel the second phone screen and the team was making their decision and I would hear the next day. Three days later, I received a decline.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a research assignment if given limited resources or unable to disclose many details?   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Connected with recruiter over LinkedIn for a different position then came across this one based down here in Burbank, CA so reached out regarding the role closer to home. Dolby decided to move the role up to San Francisco instead and I decided to go through the process. Initial phone call with recruiter went great - talked about work experience and why I wanted to be part of Dolby. Overall it was great and then she set me up with the hiring manager to speak over the phone. I felt like we connected well and that was the feedback the recruiter got so they decided to bring me onsite. It was challenging because one week the team was at a conference then the next week there were people traveling so it got pushed back more. Did the onsite with the team - first guy senior felt like he didn't care much about me interviewing there. What was suppose to be a 45 minute interview turned out to be 15 mins long so then the associate recruiter came in and gave me a tour of the office (Gym, Cafe). The hiring manager came in second and it was great to chat with them - def. felt the energy and vibes we had over the phone. She brought in someone to talk with me who was not part of the initial panel which was okay. He focused more on operations and we chatted about my startup history and about pivoting. I felt like he had ADHD because he'd stop our conversations and talk about the window being held up by tape or protestors outside the building. Overall though he seemed like a nice guy. The third guy was a creative so we connected on that level and he was really nice. It felt like I'd be able to help him move in a direction that would make the process better for the group since he was from another team within the company. The last person was suppose to be research manager but she was out sick. My last conversation was with the recruiter that I connected with over LinkedIn - I have to say that there are okay recruiters and there are great recruiters. She made me feel like she cared and I'm sure she did. She felt like I was the top candidate for the role and I felt the same way too. There was a concern from one executive that I was doing my own thing for so long that I wouldn't be able to mend well back into the corporate environment which was wrong unless that was code word for just needing a person who doesn't innovate and does what they are told. I was told there would be another step in either coming up to speak with the Sr. Director of the group and a VP of creative marketing. Alas I didn't make the last step since they felt like I did well overall but the whole "worried about not being able to be part of a group" which the recruiter knew was a non-issue. I feel like it was a great opportunity for me grow professionally and it felt like a good team to be part of. I totally understand that decisions have to be made for the best interest of the company. I have to say that if you find someone that fits/checks all the marks on your list don't lose them to another company just because they've been riding solo for a few years.

Interview Questions

• What is the most recent movie you saw and how do you value that experience?
      · Name a few key milestones in application development, acquisition and retention?
      · Why do you want to work with us?   Answer Question

QA Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got an email from them after a week asking me to schedule for phone call screening interview. the interview lasts for half an hour.Most of the questions are related to Python and Projects.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby in March 2017.

Interview

3 interviews
    1st - With manager of position applied, just a brief 30-min interview about resume and past work ex
    2nd - Technical+Behavioral, with technical person asking work samples, and career goals

Interview Questions

• Example about what you did at job, Career aspirations down 5-10 years?   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dolby.

Interview

I applied online and received an email about my availability for a phone screen the next week. I responded with my availability and didn't get a response for over a week. The HR person emailed me back after and said they were busy so they asked me again for my availability. Once again, I responded for the following week. Two weeks later still no response to set up a phone cal.... and then I get a rejection email.

Associate Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dolby (Berkeley, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Unprofessional and insincere. Complete disingenuous fluff.

On-campus interview with senior financial analyst. It felt like the interviewer had no interest in what he was doing. Asked questions about internship experience as well as "why finance?", "why company?". At the end of the interview he reassured: "I have talked to a few people today and you seem like a great candidate - we will definitely be in touch soon".
    It then took him almost a week to send a generic email response: "We were fortunate to have many outstanding candidates, including yourself, apply for this position. Although we were impressed with your qualifications, we are moving forward with other candidates at this time. We wish you much success in your future endeavors."
    I asked for feedback, no response after 4 days. Very unprofessional. Waste of applicants' time. Cannot recommend to anyone.

Brand Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Dolby.

Interview

I emailed my resume in awhile ago and heard nothing. So I followed-up with the internal recruiter via LinkedIn who told me they extended an offer to another candidate. She said to keep in touch should anything else open up of interest to me.

About a month passes and then the job re-opens so I follow-up with the internal recruiter who asks for my resume. I email it to her and then a few weeks later I get a one-off email asking to answer some follow-up questions from the hiring manager. Then a few weeks pass and I get another one-off email for writing samples. A week passes and I follow-up to see if the hiring manager had any other questions. The recruiter said he was reviewing and would get back to me shortly. About an hour later, I get a generic "Thanks but no thanks" email but what made me crack up the most was that it was for a completely different role.

It read "I would like this opportunity to extend our gratitude for taking for showing the interest in our Creative Consumer Copywriter role." NOT the role I applied for.

The internal recruiter and that whole process was shady. Best of luck to whoever gets this role!

Social Media Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dolby.

Interview

I applied for the job in March and did not hear from the company until June. The majority of people I interviewed with were nice and welcoming but some seemed distant and uninterested.

Interview Questions

• Questions about recent experience and knowledge about Dolby   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Audio Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dolby (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone call:
    1. Recruiter: to know if I am available
    2. Recruiting manager: to know salary expectations etc.
    3. Hiring manager: behavioral questions, no coding questions
    4. Senior manager: again behavioral questions, no coding questions

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self by starting from your bachelors, your interest and your plan for next 10 years.
      What are you looking for in new job?
      Why do you want to leave now?
      Why Dolby?
      Challenging part of the project currently working on.
      Other general questions about responsibilities at current job.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dolby (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied via an internal referral who I have previously worked with. Recruiter was quick to get in touch and did phone screen. Shortly after a phone interview with the hiring manager was done, and then I was asked to go in for an onsite.

The onsite went really well. I was under the impression that at least half of the interviewers liked me. That impression was confirmed by my internal referral who works closely with the team. I was told they would debrief within a day or two after the onsite and would be in touch with me. No word from them other than a standard response for my thank you email - something like "I am still following up with the panel. I should be able to get back to you in a day or two."

Today marks exactly two months since that response. I followed up with one last email a week after that. I have not heard from them. The status of my application on the job portal is still active, but the job is no longer listed on their job page. My internal referral informed me that have decided to put the hiring on hold.

Putting hiring on hold is perfectly fine. Rejecting your candidate after interviews is not unexpected. Leaving your candidate, who you invited for an onsite and explicitly indicated you would get in touch within a certain amount of time, for two months in complete silence, however, is simply not OK.

Interview Questions

I did not accept nor decline. I was not given an offer nor was I rejected. With them, I am basically in limbo.