Dynatrace Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Dynatrace

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Detroit, MI).

Interview

I had a unique interview process as I began my conversation with Dynatrace two days before the state of Michigan began implementing COVID-related health safety measures. My initial conversation, a phone interview, was very typical; mostly information gathering from both parties. During this phone interview, I was told that hiring would be paused in favor of waiting for in-person interviews to be conducted safely. However, within 3 business days, the technical recruiter was able to schedule a video interview which was conducted 6 days after my initial phone conversation.

The video interview was conducted with 2 developers who were team leads and focused mostly on my technical skills and experience. After greetings and introductions, I asked to talk about the technical and non-technical tasks I had performed at my current job. After giving my spiel, I was able to ask questions directly to the team. A notable takeaway from the interviewers' answers was that Dynatrace was hiring for competency and enthusiasm - not necessarily for expertise.

After my video interview, it was only one business day until the tech recruiter informed me that the team was interested in giving me a take-home project. But, that we would pause the processes until after it was safe to meet in-person (in the Detroit office). The process stalled - understandably so, given this was amidst the April quarantine. Roughly one month after my video interview, the technical recruiter reached out to let me know that Dynatrace was still interested in me as a candidate but that the interview process was still on-hold.

Roughly two full months after my video interview, the technical recruiter called me directly to let me know that the company was going to move forward with hiring and onboarding employees completely remotely. I was given requirements for a take-home project. The tech recruiter asked me for an estimate (of which he *suggested* it should take me 8 hours) of how long I thought it would take to complete the project that I committed to. I spent roughly 11 hours on the project.

My final interview - conducted over video - was to demo the project to 4 team leads and 1 director. Their questions on my code, the intent of my code, and my approach were tough but fair. Immediately after my demo, the team took time to give me feedback. This instant feedback loop gave me a solid perception of how I performed with my demo. I feel that comfort with speaking to a group, a high level of organization, attention to detail, and a bit of insightfulness (not just completing the minimum requirements) were keys to my success. After the demo, I spent 30 minutes interviewing with 2 directors. The tech recruiter committed to notifying me if I would receive and offer within 3 business days (and delivered in 2 days).

Misc. reflections:
    - I was not asked to complete any lengthy personality quizzes or coding exercises.
    - Unlike many programming-related interviews I've had, I was not asked to do any brain-teaser problems on the spot (such as implementing a common algorithm).
    - The team that I interviewed for was indeed the team I was placed on. I feel like what was promised to me during the interview process was indeed what I received.
    - Unlike many recruiters, the technical recruiter who facilitated my interview process had an internal relationship to the teams he was hiring for. I feel this enabled him to provide more accurate insight into the company, the work done, technologies, etc.
    - The director who interviewed me expressed that he was impressed with Dynatrace's response to COVID-19 and that employees would be working from home until it was safe to return to the office -- and that fully-remote, partially-remote, and in-office positions would be supported once the office was reopened.
    - I still have not seen the office... but the pictures are very impressive!
    - After a few weeks into the job, I feel confident in saying that I have never been given as much support in onboarding as I have at Dynatrace.

Interview Questions

• Why did you *not* reset margin and padding on the body of your front end application?   1 Answer

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Waltham, MA) in May 2020.

Interview

Interview... What interview? I received an email from HR that I was invited to interview at the company and asked for a couple of times slots that worked for me in the next couple of days. I replied within 10 minutes of receiving the emails and gave several options for a time slot... A day went by no response and at this point, I followed up and asked if these times do not work then I would be happy to find a time on his schedule. Still no response and its been a week. If you want to be ghosted then apply here. If that's how their HR is run just imagine the rest of the company.

Interview Questions

• There was none because they ghosted me before the first interview.   Answer Question

Professional Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Breakdown:
    2x phone screens - 1. Behavioral questions, interests, and aspirations. 2. Technical interview on OOP understanding, basic IT understanding, networking, and, if any, software development experience (depending on role)

If passed, then onsite 4-hour block interview with multiple team members. 1. Overview of compensation and company needs. 2. Project management skills. 3. Interests and team selection. 4. Technical/Logic questions. 5. Presentation on Dynatrace use case

Interview Questions

• During the presentation: "How much will this service cost our company? What if we have questions - are you the person we would speak to?"   1 Answer
    • Logic Question: "You have three light switches, please write out all the possible combinations of on and off? What is the ratio of there being two switches in the on position, simultaneously?"   1 Answer
    • Behavior Question: "If you could go anywhere in the world with someone, alive or deceased, who would it be - where - and why? The person can not be a friend, partner, or colleague."   1 Answer

Software Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dynatrace.

Interview

The interview process consisted of three interviews. One with an HR representative, a technical interview and the last interview had a representative from customer service as well as another technical interview

Guardian Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Detroit, MI).

Interview

phone interview asking technical questions and personal interests.

On site interview has multiple stages including thought question challenge, technical questions, future career outlook with the company, company culture over view, and lastly you give a prepared presentation about Dynatrace products.

Interview Questions

• some questions on C++ coding, some on SQL database, many on networking.   Answer Question

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Charlotte, NC) in November 2019.

Interview

Well organized and professional. A phone screen with HR, phone interview with Hiring Mgr and then a face interview with Hiring Mgr. It took approx 3 months as the Holidays and end of year people were on PTO.

Interview Questions

• How well do you know our competition and have you sold against them?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Detroit, MI) in September 2019.

Interview

Phase 1 was a technical phone screen interview with two team leads asking a variety of platform and programming knowledge questions, in may case particularly focused on Java, the JVM, and cloud technologies. There was less an emphasis on getting to as many questions as possible and more on the dialogues surrounding some of them, e.g. a question about encapsulation led to discussion of why encapsulation is important and how it affects software design approaches. The goal of this interview was to gauge my knowledge of fundamentals and get a feel for my level of competency to determine if it would be appropriate to move on to phase 2.

Phase 2 was a take home assignment sent by email with guidance for completion but no enforced restrictions. The assignment involved working with and improving an existing application, which I found compelling as it reflects the kind of day-to-day experiences of software engineers - we tend to spend much more time in other people's code than we do writing our own new code. By "no enforced restrictions" I mean that it was suggested that one spend ~8 hours on the assignment, but there was nothing monitoring the time spent and no rule about spending less or more time on it. I liked that freedom to put as much as I wanted into the assignment, knowing that I could benefit from going above and beyond if I so chose.

The actual interview was a presentation of my project, in whatever manner I saw fit, to a group of engineers, team leads, and directors. The presentation allowed for lots of back-and-forth in which attendees would probe into why I made certain decisions and what thought process went into the direction and organization of my project. At the conclusion of the presentation, I was provided feedback by every attendee. After that, I had a couple of one-on-one interviews with a senior team lead and a director, both of which focused more on soft skills like development methodology, team dynamics, and how I approach my work and relationships.

Interview Questions

• What is the value of object-oriented programming? In what circumstances could it not be the best choice?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dynatrace.

Interview

If you don’t mind being ghosted during the interview process, go ahead and click “apply”, otherwise don’t waste your time with this team. They will lead you on and expect immediate availability but not return the courtesy of transparency or proper communication. Four conversations (one in person), and then silence. I have spoken with two other people who interviewed here and had the same experience.

Interview Questions

• Standard “tell me about your sales process” fluff. But if you ask them about their strategy, expect a politician’s reply.   Answer Question

Digital Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Waltham, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

I had a series of 4 phone interviews, each with a different person followed by half a day in person interview where I presented a long presentation.

Despite spending half a day on the presentation and another half they at their office, no one bothered to provide any feedback or even just send a thank you, but no thank you note.

When you commit a full day and spend money to get to a place, the least you expect is a quick message. Instead, I was on hold for several weeks not knowing where I stand. Very poor experience.

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Dynatrace (Detroit, MI) in April 2019.

Interview

I applied online and got response from recruiter to setup initial screening. After initial conversation interview process was:

1. Video screening with couple of leads.
    2. Had to finish a project and present to to the panel of around 5 people(leads, architects and engineers) and a one-on-one with lead after presentation.
    3. Final 4 rounds of onsite interview with architects, director and team leads.