Dyno Nobel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Dyno Nobel

2.8

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Helens, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Saint Helens, OR) in October 2019.

Interview

Phone interview, very aimless conversation, pretty much a waste of time. Very little input from HR, 20 minutes and done. I had to carry the interview to make it a decent conversation.

Interview Questions

• Work history? What does 0 injuries mean to you? Give an example of a project you did.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2018.

Interview

The application process was straightforward and the recruiting team asked for writing samples/general questions about my background. I got an in-person interview after a series of back and forths with the team. I scheduled my interview over the phone with the recruiter and he emailed me to confirm the date, time, who I was meeting with, and the address to the office.

The interview went okay, despite the part where I arrived 11 minutes late. You see, I put in the wrong address into my GPS, or so I thought. That's why I ended up in the parking lot of a seafood restaurant when I was supposed to be at their office. After calling to apologize and get directions, I made it to my interview. I was rattled, embarrassed, and even more nervous than before.

On my way back to the car, I looked around to spot the building number. I looked at my GPS and it wasn't the number I put in. I then went into my email to check what I was sent. The recruiter gave me the wrong address.

I guess it still falls on me for not checking to make sure I had everything right. I didn't realize I had to fact check an email from a recruiter. In the end, I would've had a better interview if I wasn't late. At the very least, I would've felt like I had a chance.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lehi, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Lehi, UT) in December 2017.

Interview

Invited for an in-person preliminary interview. Multiple person interview followed by facility tour. Everything went really well during the interview and the hiring manager told me that if I didn't hear anything from HR within a couple of weeks about a second interview to contact him, which was reiterated in a follow-up email. After the two weeks I was told that HR decided to interview more candidates before continuing on to second interviews. Then radio silence. HR and the hiring manager never replied to any of my emails over the following month with no explanation why.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Simsbury, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Simsbury, CT) in October 2017.

Interview

Several phone calls with regional manager, department manager, others, from Simsbury and the head office in Salt Lake City. Then an in-person at the Simsbury facility, followed by another phone call.

Interview Questions

• Interest in the company, how past experience relates to the job, many follow-up questions   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2016.

Interview

Several phone interviews followed by long periods of no activity. Interviewed with several of the Sr. Management group via phone. All were very cordial and the process was acceptable but did take longer than I thought was necessary.

Interview Questions

• What is your leadership style?   1 Answer

Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Cheyenne, WY) in January 2016.

Interview

Received a call from the recruiter, one week later HR called for a phone interview. I was then scheduled to fly out to Cheyenne, Wy for a face to face interview. I felt immediately that I was in a place I did not want to be. The interview process was more like an inquisition rather than an interview. I had the feeling that I was being set up for elimination rather than a true assessment of my knowledge and abilities.

They have not reimbursed me for the rental car or hotel as they said that they would. I had read a review from a previous applicant that had the same experience.

I would steer clear of Dyno Nobel!

Interview Questions

• The questions were all good. It was the way in which they were asked. again, I felt as though they had already decided that I didn't fit what they were looking for the minute I walked in the room. Not a warm atmosphere at all!   Answer Question

Continuous Improvement/Facilitation Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2015.

Interview

I submitted the application online, which had several essay questions where I provided specific examples of measurable improvements and use of safety precautions. Then a couple phone screening interviews. Then multiple in-person interviews including one small panel with key stakeholders.

When interviewing at Dyno, remember safety is very important to them. They manufacture explosives and people's lives are at risk. They take it seriously and even use lots of caution around the corporate office. Measurable success is also very important and understanding how to build KPIs to show results. They are trying to use more Lean Manufacturing methodologies on their sites and in their corporate office, so study up on that. They use Practical Problem solving, Fishbone diagrams, and 5 why analysis and will be impressed if you know how to do those things no matter what role you are applying for. They also use adapted PMI project management and change management methods and are trying to integrate those skills into the office more (particularly stake-holder analysis/map, communication plan, risk management, change impact assessment, RASCI, etc). They have started using the GROW model for coaching. Some people use the Six Thinking Hats. Many people in the office are from Australia and it may be helpful to spend a little time understanding their culture and humor.

Books that are popular there right now: The Power of Habits, Outliers, Toyota Kata, Leading Change (Kotter), Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done, Mindset (Carol Dweck), The Silo Effect (Tett), The Advantage, Start with Why, Talent is Overrated, The Strategy-Focused Organization (Kaplan/Norton)

Interview Questions

• Are all incidents (injuries) preventable? (Safety is a REALLY big deal at Dyno Nobel and they will ask this question no matter what role you apply for)   1 Answer

N American Pressure Systems and Materials Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cheyenne, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Cheyenne, WY) in July 2015.

Interview

Talked to recruiter/HR person via phone. Then did an hour long phone interview with two engineers that would be more senior to me. Part of that interview included the VP of Strategic Engineering. The recruiter called back the next day and scheduled an onsite interview at their Cheyenne, WY location. Had lunch with the two engineers I already spoke with and the VP. Also included was a new recruiter that they just hired and the HR Managers for the Strategic Engineering group. They called me a week later and indicated that they were not considering me any more. Having a little difficulty getting reimbursed for my expenses.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to tell them about how I have helped someone get promoted that may not have been promoted otherwise.   1 Answer

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was very uncomplicated. Simple behavioural interview. They did most of the talking and it was hard for me to express my strengths. HR was screening for the first set of interviews. Next step would have been for 1 on 1 interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had a conflict and how you resolved it. What is your leadership style   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Dyno Nobel.

Interview

Timeline of process took too long, information was slow coming and the overall process was predicable. No forethought was taken, not the worst process, but certainly not the best. The communication process was slow and the set up for the interview took weeks. It was schduled a month in advance but confirmations were not received until days prior. The vetting process was lite compared to others and the information process was slow and needs improvement.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions, as their was little forethought to the process.   Answer Question