Electro-Motive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Electro-Motive

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Electro-Motive (La Grange, IL) in March 2009.

Interview

Staffing agency (Sterling Engineering) is dedicated hiring agency for all contract positions at Electro Motive Diesel. They have the inside on what's going on within departments, Vice President Greg Stimulus is well connected with hiring managers. Before the interview he meets with every candidate. Its typical for hiring manager for 30 min 1:1 interview which includes intro, questions and tour of the facility or hire you over the phone before making final decision. It is unlikely you will ever interact or meet with anyone else other than hiring manager during the interview, they like to keep it closed loop. People who work here are friendly, its a small size organization and hence its family style environment. Facilities are not upto par with industry due to its legacy ownership and heavy cost focused management.

If you are applying for a regular full time position be prepared to produce your transcripts, grades, recommendation letters, etc. apparently HR goes through this even with people who have solid industry experience. Panel interviews are common where hiring managers from multiple departments meet you.

Interview Questions

• What process improvements have you achieved in your last position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Going through staffing agency has its disadvantages, where recruiters at Sterling do is ask you the W-2 hourly rate before submitting your resume, hence there is no room for negotiation. Recruiters here will try to underball you on salary, as their strategy is to seek candidates who have been layed off from large corporations, you should do your homework when working with them. Before considering an offer you should carefully review the offer, many positions here are contract to hire but company misuses it by not extending regular full time offers. Ask thorough questions before accepting the position even if recruiter uses tactics to rush you.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Electro-Motive.

Interview

Was brought in for an open house visit, got a tour of the company and ended with a group meeting with managers from different groups. Asked basic questions and very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about some of your extra-curricular activities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Machinist Interview

Anonymous Employee in McCook, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Electro-Motive (McCook, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

You just apply online. They called me within about a week for an interview. I met with the supervisor. She asked me about my work experience and how comfortable i am working in a factory with heavy and dangerous tool. Was offered the job later that day.

Technical Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Electro-Motive (Overland Park, KS) in February 2012.

Interview

Before the interview began, a pretest was given that asked basic mechenical and electrical questions. 1st & 2nd interviews took place on the same day, and had a heavy focus on safety and managing people.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a process you implemented that had a positive impact on your team   Answer Question

Assembler Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Electro-Motive.

Interview

same as others general questions as of like any interview no surprise questions that cant be easily answered simple questions about your past history and and how would your supervisor rate u as a worker and what was hardest challenge you faced accomplishing at wor or at home

Negotiation

contact in twek period

Interview

Previous contractor position interview was over the phone screening with Sterling Engineering; on-site at Sterling Engineering; and phone interview with EMD personnel. Process has changed since and can vary from the previous.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Grange, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Electro-Motive (La Grange, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview was your typical interview. They asked behavioral quetions, references to my resume and recent work history. What I did notice is their employees don't have a long tenure and that's for good reason. Seems like they are moving in the right direction as a company.

Interview Questions

• Why would you leave your job for this company?   2 Answers

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Grange, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Electro-Motive (La Grange, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

One interveiw with all the managers. Asked basic customer service questions. What would you do given a scenario, etc, Explain your background. Fairly quick with the offer and was offered the postion the next day.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Electro-Motive.

Interview

Applied online, completed an email screening sent from HR, phone screening with Hiring Manager and Hiring Manager's Manager, and face to face interview with HR, Hiring Manager, Hiring Manager's Colleague, Hiring Manager's Manager.

Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Electro-Motive.

Interview

I did not hear from the company for quite some time after first submitting my application. I was brought in and toured the plant, and met with some of the management. A few months later I had a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Why did chose to study mechanical engineering/ why did you want to be a mechanical engineer?   Answer Question