Ellington Management Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ellington Management Group Interview Questions

2.7

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group (Old Greenwich, CT) in April 2016.

Interview

7 back to back interviews. i was sitting in a conference room and the interviewers came in one by one. It started at 9 am and went on till 12 noon.
    met with senior managment and CAO
    the interviews were relaxed and were behavioral-type.
    after a few standard interview questions it became more of a conversation.

Interview Questions

• 1) Do you know programming, SQL, Python, VBA etc.?
      2) what did you do at your previous job?
      3) what do you expect to be doing in the next 5 years?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group (Old Greenwich, CT) in January 2016.

Interview

About a week after resumes were due, I got an on-campus interview, which had two people for 30 minutes each. A week later, I got an offer for an on-site interview. This was ~7 hours and was a bunch of people from the company interviewing me one by one with a lunch break in the middle. Some interviews were very technical, some were very soft, some were a mix.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group.

Interview

The overall interview process was very easy. I received an email from HR then a call from my departments manager. Overall it was a very painless procedure. However, I am not sure about the process for different department.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions where very behavioral, asking about about my experience using software that they also utilize.   Answer Question

Winter, Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group (Greenwich, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Scheduled a phone interview one month after application submission. The phone interview was 45 minutes. Went through resume, past projects, classes taken before and few brainteaser questions. Mainly asked about past projects and the thought process of the projects. The interviewer was nice and willing to answer questions about the company and her experience.

Interview Questions

• Roll two dice. If different numbers, earn the sum of the two numbers. If the numbers are the same, earn 0 and the game ends. How much would you be willing to pay to play the game.   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through campus system and went to the on campus interview. It was 1 hour long with two interviewers for each 30 min. There are not many fit questions. A lot of mathematical and statistical questions

Interview Questions

• There is a circle with multiple gas station on it. Show you can always make the full circle.
      The prize of a lottery ticket is from a uniform (0,1) distribution. You can buy at most two tickets. You can see the prize of the first tickets and then decide if you want to buy the second ticket. What is your strategy and what is the expected prize?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Got phone interviews twice, about exactly the same questions: 1) a project that I did in the past; 2) this is a project that I am doing right now, what do you think? How will you proceed? and other questions like this. There is no technical questions (no probability or algorithm), and all that. And why do you interview me twice with exactly the same questions? Did not hear back from them since then. Wonder whether they really want to employ anyone, or just want to gather some ideas. Do not want to talk much about this company, feel it is a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• This is the dataset that we are working on. Which aspects are you going to look at, and how?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group (Old Greenwich, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone Screening to start followed by in person interview with 4 managers. Each lasted about 30 minutes and was overall fairly casual. No technical questions, more about experience and what I was interested in learning.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate

Portfolio Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group.

Interview

Ellington is well-respected in the mortgage-backed security space and has attempted to branch into other hedge fund businesses like stat arb. Typical of hedge funds, Ellington has smart people but they aren't the best managers. The interview process seemed disorganized and protracted.

Interview Questions

• There are N stockpiles of fuel stored at different locations on a circular racetrack. The N stockpiles vary in size but in total contain enough fuel for your car to make one lap around the track. Prove that for any N and any combination of stockpile sizes, there is at least one location on the track where you can begin and complete a full lap.   Answer Question
    • We are playing a game that involves three doors, numbered 1 to 3. The game involves two stages. You must pay 1 dollar to play the first stage and 1 dollar to play the second stage. In the first stage I hide Y dollars behind one of the three doors. You then guess which door the money is behind and if you are correct, you keep the money. If you are incorrect, I will tell you if the door number is higher or lower than the one you chose. (A) What is your optimal strategy assuming I hide the money randomly and what is the minimum Y required to get you to play the game? (B) Assuming you do not deviate from your optimal strategy, what does my optimal strategy become? (C) What is your response? (D) What is the equilibrium strategy and expected loss of the game?   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group (Old Greenwich, CT) in October 2013.

Interview

2 on campus interviews followed by an on-site superday consisting of 6 interviews. Interviewers included senior research personnel, senior management, and risk. Interviews were difficult but fair. Lunch and transportation are provided for the superday.

Interview Questions

• Stats/probability problems, brain teasers, programming/algorithm questions, finance questions   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ellington Management Group.

Interview

Lots of technical questions, a few brainteasers. Be expected to explain holes in your resume and answer detailed questions about your past job experience and projects. The interviewers had a deep understanding of securitized products, programming, and modeling.

Interview Questions

• I didn't really difficult interview questions- I found the technical questions to be not too difficult, and most of the interview was spent discussing potential roles at the company.   Answer Question