Encore Capital Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Encore Capital Group Interview Questions

Interviews at Encore Capital Group

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Had a brief call with a recruiter. She provided feedback on my resume. I was open to feedback and even followed through with incorporating her feedback on my resume. I followed up for status but never received a response. The recruiter at this company complete ignored my emails. Very unprofessional and telling of how this company treats their employees.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a bit about yourself
      Why are you looking to leave your current position
      How can your skills apply to our current position   Answer Question

Performance Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview

I went through one phone interview with the recruiter, one phone case interview with the hiring manager and then onsite. The onsite round is back to back meetings with different people. A lot of cases questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to do a logic puzzle in the onsite interview and several cases   Answer Question

Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

A co-worker of mine was in contact with a corporate recruiter regarding the position and wasn't interested but gave my name as someone who might be. Spoke to the recruiter (S.C.) for about 30 minutes and was told I would be required to take a simple algebra test before being considered for the position. I scored well on the test so he setup a phone interview with the director (J.K.). After hanging up the phone he called back and explained it would be a sit-down interview instead.

The meeting with the director went well. He asked very basic, interview 101, style questions. Greatest strength and weakness? Name three things your boss would say about you? Why do you want the position? Questions that any normal professional memorize.
    Two business days later the recruiter called me and asked me how the interview went and what questions I was asked. He then let me know they decide to go with another candidate but would keep me in mind for future positions.

Looking back at the interview, I don’t think the director wanted to hire me from the beginning. Maybe I didn't look the part or something because his questions didn’t allow me to speak in-depth about my current position, job roles, and skills. In fact, he asked me about my greatest achievement for a position I held 4 years ago and was not pertinent to the position I was applying for. Going forward I will take more control of the interview. Lesson learned.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult at all. I was informed that had my interview with the director went well I would have meet with someone else for a business case interview. Then I would have had a panel interview with the other members of the team.   Answer Question

Operation Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group in March 2017.

Interview

applied through college and i got first contacted by hr to schedule a background check phone call and after that i speak to the someone in charge of analyst department and the interview is pretty easy but i am not sure what is their standards to choose candicate

Interview Questions

• its about a coffee shop that sells the coffee and bagel   Answer Question

Operations Analysis Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview

The recruiter called me for setting up a phone interview. He sent me e-mail to postpone the call a few hours before the scheduled interview. Next week, the recruiter didn't call me as scheduled. I contacted him later on by call, Text, and E-Mail. He never responded to me. What a terrible experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through phone. We scheduled a business case phone interview for two days later.

The business case was about a donut shop that sold both coffee and donuts. I was given the price of coffee and donuts, the cost of coffee and donuts, and the quantity sold in both month 1 and month 2. I was asked to calculate profitability and then they gave me the profit number in month 3 I was asked to calculate quantity sold in month 3 (I used a system of equations). It was awkward doing this over phone for me being that I was calculating for long periods of time.

I was later reached out to by the same recruiter and brought in for an interview day. I had 3 interviews and met with the recruiter at the end of it all to talk about the process.

My first interview was scheduled for 1 hour with the head of the department I'd be working in, he was asking personality fit type questions, nothing technical. Near the end of the interview an analyst from the department joined us and asked me more personality type questions. He fired off a lot of questions such as, "What did you do this summer?" and "if you were going to get rid of one US State which one would it be and why?" He basically just wanted to see how I responded. Both the analyst and head of the department were friendly and it was a good experience.

My next interview was scheduled for 1 hour with a head of another department. I was given a quantitative problem with assumptions. In the problem there were 4 individuals from 3 different countries, 3 different languages, and each individual had different preferences on receiving text messages for a marketing campaign. Details are missing such as who speaks what, who is from what country and the problem is to figure out who you should send a text. It took a little over 10 mins. The rest of the interview was more about "fit".

The next interview was also scheduled for 1 hour. It was a business case interview with another individual who's title I have forgotten. The business case was similar to the coffee and donut one mentioned early. It was difficult and a calculator was needed. The recruiter says this is how most candidates also feel.

Overall, the experience was good and everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions

• There is a donut and coffee shop. The shops has a profit of X in month 3, sells Y amount of donuts, and sells Z amounts of coffee. The price of donuts is Pd and the price of coffee is Pc. The cost of donuts is Cd and the cost of coffee is Cc. (all the X, Y, Z, Pd, Pc, Cd, Cc amounts were given to me but I forget the exact numbers)

What is the quantity of donuts and coffee sold in month 3?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I got an email from the recruiter 1+ month after the career fair. After confirming the interest in the Ops analyst position, I was told to have a 1st round phone interview with the recruiter(basic behavior questions) and did a 2nd round business case phone interview with a senior analyst 1 week later. One thing to mention, I got the interview feedbacks in about 1 hour from the recruiter, who was really responsive. I went to San Diego to have an on-site interview with 6 people, which included a lot of behavior and experience questions and 2 cases. The whole process lasted for around 4 hours. Everyone was kind, and I think I got one pressure interview among all six.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I applied online through some job board and they contacted me a few weeks later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview itself was a pretty straightforward with some 'tell me about yourself' stuff and also a short business case style word problem. They reached back out to me that same day to set up an on-site interview.

The day of the interview I show up and my first interviewer is at a different office and was teleconferenced in, there were technical difficulties getting the video chat to work but nothing too bad. My second interviewer shows up and interviews me as well, then when he leaves he says that the third interviewer will be right along... waiting... waiting... and the third interviewer was a no show; after waiting around for about an hour alone in a conference room, the fourth interviewer shows up to wrap up with the "business case".

But what really ground my gears is this:
    Before the on-site interview I was told there would be a 'business case' part of the interview, and along with that message I was sent a long list of links to company websites that supposedly employ the same interview style as Encore; all heavy hitter consulting firms, BCG, Bain, etc... The business case interview seemed like it would be fun and engaging; what actually happened was definitely not. Encore's "business case" interview was nothing like what ANY of the reference material suggested it would be like. The several hours I spent preparing were worthless and, in fact, detrimental to how I approached the interview. I understand trying to emulate great companies' hiring practices, but either emulate it well, or don't provide misleading information for the interview...

TL;DR: If they provide you with "business case" links to prepare for your interview, don't even bother with them. Instead: prepare for a straight forward math question with 1 definite correct answer, but not all information is given, you'll have to ask for a few bits. No room for creativity and asking questions beyond what is obviously needed to solve the problem seemed frowned upon.

Oh PS: The third interview was a logic puzzle, which didn't take place for me, so you're on your own on that one.

Interview Questions

• They collected my scratch paper so out of respect for them I won't give the exact question or answers, but the question was basically comparing two different options for a business, each with slightly different revenue and cost structures. The question is presented in a not so straight forward manner, but just remember that what you're interested in is the profit, so it's helpful to think of how the profit curves would look like when plotted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email saying I would be getting a call from an HR representative. She described the position and told me I would take a basic algebra/logic assessment. After scoring well on it, received a phone interview from the head of Operations and was asked a simple set of questions using algebraic calculations and some business topics. Asked to come in and interview; spent four and a half hours between two offices, met with four people, two of which had slightly more complex questions similar to that given in the phone interview, one of which had a logic exercise. Overall, very long and tiring near the end.

Interview Questions

• Given two different mailing options with different cost rates and effectiveness rates, which option would be best in various scenarios? (For example, unlimited mailing list, unlimited budget, have both be unlimited, specific numbers of each, etc.   5 Answers

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Encore Capital Group.

Interview

Two phone interviews and an onsite.I got very general and background question for the first round. The interviewer was nice. The second round was kinda weird. The interviewer asked me what school I was from again and asked me to go through my resume again. He had no clue about my background. Case was an easy question about a coffee shop but I was not really sure what was the answer he wanted.

Interview Questions

• There is a coffee shop selling coffee and bagels. What's the profit?   Answer Question