Essential Data Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Essential Data

2.9

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Essential Data (Tampa, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with an online application and brief phone screen. Following the phone screen was a more in depth phone interview with the VP of sales followed by a call with the president of the company.

Interview Questions

• What questions to you ask prospects to elicit their needs?   1 Answer
    • How familiar are you with social media and how do you use tools such as Linkedin for your sales process.   1 Answer
    • We are looking for a team of stars who know how to produce. How would you bring value to our team?   1 Answer
    • What is your career aspiration?   1 Answer

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Essential Data.

Interview

Interviewed with top senior leadership who had obviously not read my resume - I was told within 5 minutes of the call that I was not a fit when based on their criteria I should not have had my time wasted. Rude and disrespectful of people's time.

Interview Questions

• None- they should have done some research ahead of time.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Essential Data (Seattle, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Essential Data has a 3-tiered interview process. Initially a brief interview with their marketing manager, followed by an hour long interview with the President of the company. The final interview stage with was the VP of sales & marketing.
    During the interview with the president I was asked to do a role play and answer a series of questions related to what types of accounts and clients I am most comfortable dealing with.

Interview Questions

• 1. What was the most rewarding deal I ever closed
      2. What was the hardest account I ever broke into
      3. What steps did I take in order to break into that account
      4. How do I network for accounts and/or contacts.
      5. How do I develop rapport with potential clients.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Essential Data (Bridgeport, CT) in July 2015.

Interview

Spoke to VP then Owner then VP. Its a good process because they want you to fully understand the position is 100% commission, you're an independent contractor, you'll get some leads from Google key word advertising, and for the most part, you're the hunter using your network to uncover business. They pay reasonable T&E expenses too.
    After 90 minutes with the owner, I then spoke to the VP the next day. It was clear he became irritated with the more questions I asked including, are there any existing accounts in the territory, what specific expenses do you cover, if I could speak to one of the current Independent Contractors to get their feedback. He said no. So be a hunter, ask a lot a questions, but don't use these skills in their job interview. Now determined, I tracked down a former employee who gave me the whole story. It may take 3 to 6 months to get it going. The 40% commission is based on the markup, not the total billing. So 33% typical markup really is only 13% commission. Not much with no existing billing and 3 to 6 month window where you're working it. The former employee, who had a strong LinkedIn network, said it was good gig if you're between jobs, and carriers or looking to build a business as you move into your golden years.

Interview Questions

• We have 12 step process to follow to get business. Are you comfortable working within this structure?   1 Answer

Dec 2, 2015 – Vice President

If the candidate does not sufficiently impress us during the interview, we discuss the possibility of straight commission. But often times an offer is not ultimately made.

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Essential Data (Norwalk, CT) in August 2015.

Interview

Two-step process. 1) 10-15 minute phone interview with the sales manager, and 2) a one hour phone interview with the (ahem) CEO. Total waste of time because Antoinette doesn't tell you that it's commission only until the very end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to do a very remedial role play, which was a joke because Antoinette couldn't even handle the objections I presented to her. And she's the CEO?   1 Answer

Dec 2, 2015 – Vice President

This review is littered with falsehoods, including the following; He lives in Chicago he does not live in Connecticut. This person did a very bad interview, therefore was never offered a position and... More

Engagement Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Essential Data.

Interview

3 step process. Brief 15 minute initial interview followed by 2 more in depth interviews with senior management. These interviews lasted approximately 1 hour each. Interviews took place over the course of 4 days from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience. What type of accounts and what level of contact did I call on.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Essential Data (Aurora, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

Monster Ad entitled "Business Development Manager/Sales/Account Manager". EDC refers to this position as an "Engagement Manager." Initial screening interview. Basically, have you sold anything? Great. On to next step. Interview with the founder Antoniette Allocca. Very passionate and smart person. BEWARE - - this is really a "Commission Only" sales position. That is what they really want.

Make no mistake - - even though there is a salary listed, their main goal is COMMISSION only. (Easily heard in her voice. In fact, you CANNOT start with a salary and then move to a commissioned position!)

Antoniette covers the background of the company and then multiple "Role Playing" sessions with some sophisticated calling techniques. Much akin to the "Challenger Sales Model." 1. Research, 2. Hook (Insight) 3. Setup meeting or phone call.

The company has done an excellent job with SEO and Google Analytics. EDC appears at the top or very near the top when Googling "Technical Writing Services." This could be a great job for someone who is motivated and can live without any income for the ramp up period. Keep in mind - - you are really "reselling" consultants with a markup (commission) on their hourly rate of which you get a percentage. They say the work is guaranteed but that is really subject to the quality of consultants/talent. Again, you are subject to the local market.

To be really honest, it would be best if they changed this to a "commission only" job. Ethically, that is what I would do.

Interview Questions

• Multiple role playing with 30 second "pitch." EDC website information used as background material for   Answer Question

Mar 17, 2016 – Vice President

We understand that it is very disappointing to be disqualified for a job. Unfortunately, your skills during the interview did not meet our high standards. We wish you well and we do not agree with... More

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Essential Data (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 members of senior management via the phone. 3 calls over the course of 1 week. The interview with the president lasted the longest and was the most in depth. She is a very engaging person.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what types od accounts and what level of contact I called upon in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Essential Data (Stamford, CT).

Interview

I interviewed over the course of 1 week 3 separate times with 3 people. Very thorough and detailed in their approach. Upper management understands their business. It was clear early on the passion that went into the business

Interview Questions

• What types of accounts and clients did I call on on the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Essential Data (Chicago, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 people a total of 3 times. Each interview was different than the previous ones. Involved general discussion of my background as well as a walk through their sales process

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult client you have ever closed   Answer Question