Etsy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Etsy Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2018

2.9

Business Development Analyst Interview

Interview

Extremely rude recruiting organization. I would hope that the individual who corresponded with me is not representative of the recruiting organization as a whole, but who knows maybe her rudeness is enabled and emboldened by the broader culture. I had applied for the role and decided to follow up with recruiting. Depending on the company, they might get back to you 1 to 2 months later which is time I simply don't have since I had been nearing the end of my job search. In any case, I emailed multiple Etsy recruiters because typically you reach out to multiple recruiters and might be lucky to get one response. I didn't receive a response, so decided to email the careers@etsy email. This one recruiter responded stating I "didn't have to email all of recruiting." I thought this was extremely rude and uncalled for. After that I took Etsy off my list and would have declined the interview should they have reached out to me, which they did not

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Poor communication between HR and interviewers - appeared quite disorganized. Phone screen had to be rescheduled twice, both at the last minute. After having been notified by my interviewer that I would hear from HR about an in-person interview within the next few days, I received no messages for two weeks. Even after reaching out directly to the recruiter, I received no response. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• What the optimization objective for a linear support vector machine?   Answer Question

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy in December 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview that was incredibly easy. He didn't really ask me much about myself, didn't tell me a whole lot about Etsy, and then asked me to do a few coderpad problems. I was told that there wasn't a specific position I was applying for, but rather that after interviewing me, they would see where I fit in their company and what position would be best for me. Personally, I find that really strange. Anyways, after the first interview I was told a day or two later that they wanted to do a second interview. The second interview happened almost 2 weeks later and was with a different person. Again, not many questions about myself or background, but wanted me to do a coderpad problem.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Etsy?   Answer Question
    • Technically, what is something you worked on that you would go back and do differently and how would you do it differently?   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: Given a function that takes in x and y, have the method print out a multiplication table of x columns and y rows.   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: Given an array of ints, how do you find the max int?   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: (this is the literal text of the problem)
      Write a function that takes an array of decimal weights that
      sum to 1 and returns the array index of one of those weights. The
      weights correspond to percentages indicating proportionally
      how often to show a particular version of an experiment.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy in November 2017.

Interview

I was invited to do a 45 minute phone interview with an engineer at the company. I spoke about past experience at the beginning and then we moved onto a coding exercise.
    The interview went well in my opinion and I was told I would hear back in a week. They never contacted me to give me any updates at all. I've never not heard back from a company after an interview, so I thought it was strange. Seems like it could have been the result of an organizational error on their part.

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy in November 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen for 1 hour with a manager. Asked questions from databases, javascript, and simple coding question. Asked about project experience and some behavioral questions. Recruiter did not give any response to the interview after repeated reminders. I do not recommend giving an interview over here.

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Three phone interviews, one with recruiter, two with engineers, one large homework assignment, and one long in-person interview. Total interview process took about 2 1/2 months. Communication with recruiter(s) during this process was slow, but OK.

Phone interviews were about average, though there seemed to be a fair amount of disconnect about the job description. The position communicated to me was for a cloud infrastructure engineer, though the engineers I talked to on the phone were mixed between "we're going to the cloud" and "we might go to the cloud".

The homework assignment was actually pretty fun. Lots of questions around experience with administration and some cloud stuff, along with 2 coding/scripting assignments.

The in-person interview process was quite poor. The general disconnect was even more apparent with one person on the infrastructure team not acknowledging a move to the cloud and instead focusing on Linux sys-admin questions, specific to RedHat distributions. I was also asked to bring my laptop for coding questions but instead was asked to solve a coding problem on the whiteboard.

At the end of the process, I received an informal email stating my skills did not match the position well enough. Based on the interviews I assume they want someone with more Linux administration experience because they are unsure about actually moving to the cloud, which is not what was represented during the initial interview.

Interview Questions

• Write or script a web server log parser   Answer Question
    • Write or script an ip address flat file to csv converter   Answer Question
    • Write an application to find all possible matches for the game "Boggle".   Answer Question

Mysql Database Administrator Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Process was relatively slow for initial contact. After that it moved fast. Being remote, I was offered the option of a Skype based panel over on site.

Unfortunately there were other candidates in the pipeline whom received an offer, filling all available positions.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about mysql experience.   Answer Question
    • Test assignment. Focusing on scaling and other more general items. Parsing Apache logs.

For a DBA role I expected more MySql based questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

There was a short phone screen with a tiny bit of pair coding and some basic questions around why I was looking and what I was hoping to find in my next role, then a full day onsite. The onsite had five interview sections; three were technical (two coding), one was with a PM and designer, and one was over lunch and primarily interpersonal/behavioral.

Interview Questions

• From a database design perspective, walk through your approach to building a messaging feature into the application.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a 30 minute phone screen. The recruiter asked basic questions about my background and experience. I moved onto the next step which was an interview with the Hiring Manager. He asked about my background as well as some technical and case study questions. I received an email a week later that they did not feel I was the right match for the position.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an inner join, a left join and a right join?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Full day of interviews
    Very practical
    Fewer algorithms related questions than the norm. The focus was on practical problem solving.
    Emphasis on distributed systems
    Recruiter was a bit pushy about getting information about other offers. A minor negative mark.
    Their offer letter was friendly to read from a legal perspective.
    It had good examples of what the legal statement meant.
    One couldn't go wrong with taking up an offer with Etsy.