Etsy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Etsy Interview Questions

Updated Nov 22, 2017

2.9

Mysql Database Administrator Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Process was relatively slow for initial contact. After that it moved fast. Being remote, I was offered the option of a Skype based panel over on site.

Unfortunately there were other candidates in the pipeline whom received an offer, filling all available positions.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about mysql experience.   Answer Question
    • Test assignment. Focusing on scaling and other more general items. Parsing Apache logs.

For a DBA role I expected more MySql based questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

There was a short phone screen with a tiny bit of pair coding and some basic questions around why I was looking and what I was hoping to find in my next role, then a full day onsite. The onsite had five interview sections; three were technical (two coding), one was with a PM and designer, and one was over lunch and primarily interpersonal/behavioral.

Interview Questions

• From a database design perspective, walk through your approach to building a messaging feature into the application.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a 30 minute phone screen. The recruiter asked basic questions about my background and experience. I moved onto the next step which was an interview with the Hiring Manager. He asked about my background as well as some technical and case study questions. I received an email a week later that they did not feel I was the right match for the position.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between an inner join, a left join and a right join?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

Full day of interviews
    Very practical
    Fewer algorithms related questions than the norm. The focus was on practical problem solving.
    Emphasis on distributed systems
    Recruiter was a bit pushy about getting information about other offers. A minor negative mark.
    Their offer letter was friendly to read from a legal perspective.
    It had good examples of what the legal statement meant.
    One couldn't go wrong with taking up an offer with Etsy.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy in September 2017.

Interview

I sent in a resume and cover letter. We set up a phone interview for a few weeks(?!) later.

The interviewer was about fifteen minutes late. After some awkward chitchat he asked me a few questions. I found the questions to be rather odd because they were all about how one might go about performing one of several null hypothesis tests. I mean, there's more to stats than that! I did okay but really wasn't prepared to go into that sort of detail on null hypothesis tests at that time.

At the conclusion of the interview they said that they would get back to me within the week. A week went by and I heard nothing. At that point I emailed the interviewer to see what the deal was but never heard back.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Very fast turn around from application submission to phone interview with a software manager. Roughly 24 hours. Pretty basic interview questions, if you can keep your nerves under control it should be a breeze.

Interview Questions

• Print an NxM matrix of a number pattern based on the N and M values.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter reached out to me to set up a time to have a phone screen. We agreed upon a date/time but then a day before, he told me he was busy and needed to reschedule. I sent back my availability for the next week. Didn't hear back for a week. I sent a follow up email and provided a few more times. No response...

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

first phone call - intro to team and internship by head of data science
    second phone call - technical interview on machine learning basics
    onsite interview - 4 technical interviews + lunch with the team + 1 tech talk
    Etsy recruiting moves light fast. 4 weeks from resume submission to offer.
    Interviews had lots of interesting questions -- not hard ones but very interesting.
    People are all welcoming, encouraging, intelligent, and insightful.
    The projects seem very well-defined with a clear goal.
    Head of the team was extremely nice and interesting to work with.
    The job looks great and Etsy is fantastic.
    And the interview process itself is rewarding.
    It was a very hard decision to turn them down. Would be very excited to join them whenever possible in the future.

Interview Questions

• the very basics of machine learning   1 Answer

Data Science PhD Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

The interview process consisted of three phone screens and an on-site portion that involved a 45 minute "job talk" and 3 more interviews. I ended up getting an internship offer for the summer, but I unfortunately had to decline. However, everyone I interacted with (from the team I would've been on to the recruiter) was extremely helpful and accommodating. I have nothing but positive things to say about Etsy! :-)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Etsy?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Phd Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

It consists of three steps. The first phone screen is a call from a data scientist to discuss my past projects and my interests in Etsy. The second phone screen is a machine learning basic skill test. During 45 minutes, you get many questions that are similar to "speed quiz" with many "explain this concept". Make sure to review basic machine learning materials. Once you pass this, you are invited for an on-site interview. I heard that you'd be talking to 2-3 data scientists, and give 30-45 minutes of tech talk on your research, and of course the tour of their HQ! I withdrew at this step for another offer, but my overall experience about Etsy was awesome. The data scientists and the recruiters I've interacted are all nice and helpful.