Etsy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Etsy Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2018

2.8

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Applied and got a phone screening with a recruiter very quickly. Was pretty short, just an overview of the position/company and my qualifications. Had a second interview with the hiring manager, but was not really asked many questions and was continually asked if I had questions for them. Two days later I received a generic email that I wasn't the right match. Everyone was nice, but I found it strange the lack of questions asked about my experience/how I could contribute to the team. Overall the process took 1-2 weeks.

Retention Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

They emailed to schedule an interview, I responded, they didn't respond so I followed up. They finally responded with a time I couldn't do, so I said I couldn't do that time and offered other times. They called me during the original time I said I couldn't do. Finally scheduled a time (3 weeks after original email). She said she'd email me to follow up after the interview, but never heard back.

Compliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

The whole process took 1 month this included 2 phone interviews, a homework assignment and face to face interviews. HR was pleasant and their timing was great, I was never left wondering and waiting. Almost everyone I met with was very pleasant. Even though I didn’t get hired it was a good experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your 30, 60 and 90 day plan, I was asked this by 2 of 5 interviewers.   1 Answer

Business Development Analyst Interview

Interview

Extremely rude recruiting organization. I would hope that the individual who corresponded with me is not representative of the recruiting organization as a whole, but who knows maybe her rudeness is enabled and emboldened by the broader culture. I had applied for the role and decided to follow up with recruiting. Depending on the company, they might get back to you 1 to 2 months later which is time I simply don't have since I had been nearing the end of my job search. In any case, I emailed multiple Etsy recruiters because typically you reach out to multiple recruiters and might be lucky to get one response. I didn't receive a response, so decided to email the careers@etsy email. This one recruiter responded stating I "didn't have to email all of recruiting." I thought this was extremely rude and uncalled for. After that I took Etsy off my list and would have declined the interview should they have reached out to me, which they did not

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I had a very strange interview at Etsy.

Their recruiter took weeks to get back to me in between rounds. And when they did finally schedule my onsite, they didn't ask me for my availability- they just told me which day to come in, causing me to have to call in sick that day at my current job.

When I got to Etsy, it just got stranger from there. The office (although beautiful) felt nearly empty. The manager for the team I was interviewing for was sick that day, so I didn't get to meet him. Instead they sent me out to lunch with a manager for a different team. And when I asked about the recent layoffs, he didn't seem to be prepared with an answer, instead acting annoyed that I had brought it up.
    I was asked a variety of system design questions that were actually a refreshing break from the data structures and algorithm questions I'm used to getting. Everyone was friendly, if a bit awkward. But my last interview of the day was the strangest of all!

It was a remote interview, which apparently the recruiter didn't realize until almost 10 minutes had passed. I kept waiting for my next interviewer to walk into the room, but eventually one of my previous interviewers rushed in and turned on the TV for a video conference. A mistake like that can be excused, but it got worse from there. The focus was a question about designing a feature into a database, and the remote interviewer had some very strange opinions, far from best practices. I ran the interview by trusted colleagues later to make sure I wasn't mistaken about my design opinion, and everyone universally agreed that the interviewer had been insisting something VERY odd (about the correct usage of enums). It felt like my entire interview fell off the rails at that point.

After that final interview, the recruiter met with me and walked me out of the office. Overall it was a very strange day with very strange interviewers.

Interview Questions

• How about we store these foreign keys to user ids as enums in a different table?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

Poor communication between HR and interviewers - appeared quite disorganized. Phone screen had to be rescheduled twice, both at the last minute. After having been notified by my interviewer that I would hear from HR about an in-person interview within the next few days, I received no messages for two weeks. Even after reaching out directly to the recruiter, I received no response. Disappointing.

Interview Questions

• What the optimization objective for a linear support vector machine?   Answer Question

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy in December 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview that was incredibly easy. He didn't really ask me much about myself, didn't tell me a whole lot about Etsy, and then asked me to do a few coderpad problems. I was told that there wasn't a specific position I was applying for, but rather that after interviewing me, they would see where I fit in their company and what position would be best for me. Personally, I find that really strange. Anyways, after the first interview I was told a day or two later that they wanted to do a second interview. The second interview happened almost 2 weeks later and was with a different person. Again, not many questions about myself or background, but wanted me to do a coderpad problem.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Etsy?   Answer Question
    • Technically, what is something you worked on that you would go back and do differently and how would you do it differently?   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: Given a function that takes in x and y, have the method print out a multiplication table of x columns and y rows.   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: Given an array of ints, how do you find the max int?   Answer Question
    • Coderpad: (this is the literal text of the problem)
      Write a function that takes an array of decimal weights that
      sum to 1 and returns the array index of one of those weights. The
      weights correspond to percentages indicating proportionally
      how often to show a particular version of an experiment.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Super fun, very informative and nice. People were on time and welcoming; I felt good about my time at the offices. The team was engaging and it didn't feel like a corporate interview. It felt good to have a real, connecting type of questions in our conversations.

Interview Questions

• Why Etsy as a place of work versus other technology companies?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy in November 2017.

Interview

I was invited to do a 45 minute phone interview with an engineer at the company. I spoke about past experience at the beginning and then we moved onto a coding exercise.
    The interview went well in my opinion and I was told I would hear back in a week. They never contacted me to give me any updates at all. I've never not heard back from a company after an interview, so I thought it was strange. Seems like it could have been the result of an organizational error on their part.

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy in November 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screen for 1 hour with a manager. Asked questions from databases, javascript, and simple coding question. Asked about project experience and some behavioral questions. Recruiter did not give any response to the interview after repeated reminders. I do not recommend giving an interview over here.