Etsy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Etsy Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2017

2.8

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter reached out to me to set up a time to have a phone screen. We agreed upon a date/time but then a day before, he told me he was busy and needed to reschedule. I sent back my availability for the next week. Didn't hear back for a week. I sent a follow up email and provided a few more times. No response...

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

first phone call - intro to team and internship by head of data science
    second phone call - technical interview on machine learning basics
    onsite interview - 4 technical interviews + lunch with the team + 1 tech talk
    Etsy recruiting moves light fast. 4 weeks from resume submission to offer.
    Interviews had lots of interesting questions -- not hard ones but very interesting.
    People are all welcoming, encouraging, intelligent, and insightful.
    The projects seem very well-defined with a clear goal.
    Head of the team was extremely nice and interesting to work with.
    The job looks great and Etsy is fantastic.
    And the interview process itself is rewarding.
    It was a very hard decision to turn them down. Would be very excited to join them whenever possible in the future.

Interview Questions

• the very basics of machine learning   1 Answer

Data Science PhD Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

The interview process consisted of three phone screens and an on-site portion that involved a 45 minute "job talk" and 3 more interviews. I ended up getting an internship offer for the summer, but I unfortunately had to decline. However, everyone I interacted with (from the team I would've been on to the recruiter) was extremely helpful and accommodating. I have nothing but positive things to say about Etsy! :-)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Etsy?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Phd Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

It consists of three steps. The first phone screen is a call from a data scientist to discuss my past projects and my interests in Etsy. The second phone screen is a machine learning basic skill test. During 45 minutes, you get many questions that are similar to "speed quiz" with many "explain this concept". Make sure to review basic machine learning materials. Once you pass this, you are invited for an on-site interview. I heard that you'd be talking to 2-3 data scientists, and give 30-45 minutes of tech talk on your research, and of course the tour of their HQ! I withdrew at this step for another offer, but my overall experience about Etsy was awesome. The data scientists and the recruiters I've interacted are all nice and helpful.

HR Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY).

Interview

Usually there's no point to reviewing a phone screen, but this one was terrible. My interviewer spent 2 minutes talking about the role (kind of - she mentioned that the role would be aligned to a team, but they weren't sure which one; that it was a unique setup, but it's actually just textbook HRBP role; and that they didn't know what seniority the role would ultimately be).

I then ran through my resume, during which I was interrupted once to ask if I had a very specific experience and otherwise there was 0 interaction from the interviewer. When I finished she told me she would share the resume with the hiring manager and asked if I had any questions. I asked what the two biggest HR priorities were in the next 12 months and she said she didn't know. She told me I could expect to hear back in a day, after which I got an automated close-out 4 days later.

Given Etsy's Glassdoor and other employee recognition, I was shocked at the poor quality of the interview - interviewer very clearly just ticking boxes and not at all trying to engage candidates.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience coaching managers and dealing with employee relations?   Answer Question

Etsy Response

Dec 13, 2016 – Programming Specialist

Thanks so much for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts as it helps us to continue to better our process. We encourage you to follow up with your recruiter... More

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY).

Interview

First you Email your portfolio. I got referred from an employee, my work was reviewed. But I was too junior for the senior position.What would usually follow is phone call. Interviews.

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied for the job online. Within one day received a call from the recruiter. Had a wonderful conversation about the job and how my qualifications meet what they are looking for. On the spot she had set up another phone interview with the hiring manager for the following week. In the mean while i educated myself with the company background and culture and how my job skills will come into play with the specific role the opening was for. When it came time for the second interview i was informed that we were going to stay away from job qualifications questions and concentrate more with questions on how i would fit with the ETSY culture. Personally i believe the questions asked had nothing to do with my personality or how i would fit in the ETSY culture, they just seemed like regular dry HR personality assessment questions. My opinion is that if they want to gauge if some one fits in with the ETSY culture and they have the right qualifications for the job have the candidate come in for a face to face interview and have them spend the day meeting the team and after evaluate if the candidate is a good match for the position and the culture. Not by asking some regular human resources questions. A week later i received an email from the wonderful recruiter that the hiring manager did not believe i was a compatible candidate that fit their culture.

Interview Questions

• Name a instance or a situation that only you noticed and no one else around you saw it.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (Brooklyn, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

First a brief 30 minute phone interview with an engineer. Then an on-site interview at Etsy's HQ in Brooklyn. Both experiences were very pleasant. The engineers are ready to guide you out when you're stuck on a question and are also very pleasant. It's hard to say anything negative about this company. The questions weren't ridiculously hard. Also, they actually want to get to know you and what kind of a person you are. This is important because very often interviews end up being about how good of a programmer you are and not much about what kind of a person the interviewee is. Overall, a great experience, everyone is very encouraged to apply!

Staff Accountant-Revenue and Stock Compensation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied the job online, and wait about 3 weeks to get a phone interview. The conversation went smoothly, and the recruiter said she will pass my file to accounting department. Then never hear back from them.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Etsy (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

HR phone screen, technical phone/coding interview, coding project. Phone screen and technical phone/coding interview were as to be expected and professional. After completing the coding project (took a couple of days), received an impersonal rejection email, no comments at to the project. Asked for any specific comments on my coding project since I spent considerable time and effort on it, but no response was given. Not sure if my project was actually looked at.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of floating point numbers that add up to 1 in total, make a random number generator that generates numbers based on those probabilities.

Coding project involved implemented a db-like app (queries, insertions, etc) but without actually using a database (hold it all in memory and write an program to interface with the data).   Answer Question