FirstEnergy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2017

2.8

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a phone call from HR to set up an interview 3 months after applying online. HR called me on Monday and they wanted me there for an interview on that coming Friday. Then on Tuesday I got a call my interview would actually be that Thursday instead. First red flag. They gave me barely enough time to get off my plane and drive to the interview. I show up and neither HR or the managers interviewing me know what room we were in. Second red flag.

Interview went well, almost all behavioral questions, with a couple kinda tricky ones. Took about 45 minutes. The panel interviewing me was very laid back and personable. I could immediately tell that they had not even looked at my application beforehand and that they had no interest in hiring me. Found it odd that not a single question was asked about what I enjoy doing or anything then it came up that there is a LOT of mandatory overtime without extra compensation and that they are having a significant retention problem. Red flag number three.

With how disorganized and rushed the process was I did not plan on accepting an offer even if one was given. When you see details like this being messed up at a nuclear facility, run. If this was their best foot forward I'm afraid to know what goes on once you're employed there.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with your manager and coworkers.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you were under pressure or rushed and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you took the initiative on identifying a safety concern.   Answer Question
    • Was there something that we did not ask you, that we wish we would have?   Answer Question

GIS Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Frederick, MD) in September 2017.

Interview

The worst interview I have every done. Building at the Frederick location was a total dump, dingy and smelly. Little was explained about the actual position. Most of the interview time was spent answering difficult situational questions not related to the position. I came away with a vague understanding of the actual job and what it entailed. A very disappointing experience for a GIS/Engineering position interview!

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would approach a project, design and implement strategies that would meet your goals and objective and if you did not meet your goals and objects how you would re-strategize the process   1 Answer

Operations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at FirstEnergy.

Interview

It was very relaxed and friendly. I went in there very nervous but felt calm and confident in the end. It was the best interview I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• The questions were primarily technical and there were several.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FirstEnergy.

Interview

Interview process is quick. Only 1 interview in person. It is 3 on 1 with supervisors and managers. Mostly behavioral questions. The interviewers are down to earth and make the experience comfortable. It is scheduled for about 30-45 mins. They go over their organizational structure and their locations before beginning the interview.

Interview Questions

• What steps have you taken to address safety during a project?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Harbor, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Oak Harbor, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

Interviewed at the Davis Besse Plant (Oak Harbor, OH). There were 2 interviews. The first was a phone interview where they asked basic background questions such as year, major, willingness to commit to multiple coops, etc.

The second was at the actual plant. Spoke with 2 electrical engineers. Ran down my resume, asked about project experiences, why I applied, and a few behavioral questions. Afterwards they showed me around the plant. Very laid back interview. Showed me some of the plant. I heard back in a week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at FirstEnergy.

Interview

I applied in April and a recruiter reached out in May to conduct a phone screen. A week later I was invited to a phone interview. They asked mainly stuff off of my resume, what attracted me to the position, and if I had any questions. Was told they'd let me know in a few weeks if I'd continue forward. A week later I was scheduled an onsite interview. Onsite interview was basic behavior questions and scenarios. Very easy interview. I then sent out a thank you letter to the team that interviewed me. Reached out to the recruiter twice for follow ups and was told a decision has not been made. Haven't heard anything new in over a month so unsure if I will get an offer or not.

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Cleveland, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

Hiring FirstEnergy representative had a very positive and friendly attitude, was professional and respectful. The interview was not overly technical and was mostly focused on my general work experience and its match with the needs. Interview resulted in a very quick contract offer

Sharepoint Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Akron, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

Interview process was very laid back. I was applying for a contractor position so there was an initial phone interview that lasted roughly 15 minutes. After that, I received an offer the next day. The interview itself consisted of myself and 2 others. One was the project manager and the other was team leader.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with SharePoint development.   1 Answer

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Akron, OH) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was a phone interview with a supervisor and another engineer. They started off by asking questions on my resume, mostly focused on experience, had me elaborate on tasks I completed. Then they asked 6-7 behavioral/situational questions and had me talk about experiences where I had faced situations. Overall the first two parts took 30 minutes. They finished off the interview with my questions, definitely learned a lot more from my questions instead of the job listing or their interview.

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at FirstEnergy (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

I spoke with HR and two other co-op students at a co-op fair, submitted my application online, and was asked for an interview. The first interview took about 15 minutes and was with two engineers, the second took about 45 minutes and was with three engineers including a supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer behavioral questions, a couple very low level technical questions, and have questions prepared for the interviewers.   Answer Question