FreshBooks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Recruiter called me and made an appointment for an interview. On the interview I was asked simple questions but one person continued to ask very general questions(I mean veeeery general) so I told her I could not understand the question. They already understood I had an accent and she assumed I could not comprehend the english words - another guy tried to paraphrase the sentence. Really??
    They laughed at me while I was depicting the answer to their question on the board. Well something funny, I thought, that's cool - they are relaxed and friendly. Then they asked about the books I've read lately.
    I answered. Then I understood they were really laughing at me when again she distorted my wording like I couldn't speak english - very nice from her side. Moreover she even didn't know the book I mentioned, though it is bestseller, and needed confirmation from her co-worker about the book - that the book really existed. Again... Really?
    So the main points I was rejected for - my english and my experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your motivation to work here? Guys, I'm too old to answer that kind of questions. You should also ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years" to destroy the interviewee completely.   Answer Question
    • "How activerecord works?"   1 Answer

FreshBooks Response

Apr 26, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for submitting a review – we understand that you did not have a good experience interviewing with us, and we definitely don’t want that for any of our candidates. We can assure you that ... More

Scrum Master/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

IApplied to scrum master role at freshbooks and the recruiter emailed me and set a time for a call. She was very nice and easy to talk to and told me great things about the company. I was very excited when she emailed me for an interview in--person. There is no receptionist when I got there so i waited at the locked door ...the recruiter came and gave me a tour. She gave me water and showed me everywhere. The managers were late so she sat with me until they came...she knew i was nervous and made me feel comfortable. She wished me good luck and said "just be yourself" The managers came and were very rushed. They asked me a lot of questions but then they didn't seem as if they were listening to my answers...Ifelt they already made up their minds within the first 5 minutes which was "no". I felt they rushed the interview and kept looking at the clock... maybe because it was around lucnh time? They finished the interview in 35 minutes when it was supposed to be 1 hour. They stood up and said thank you for coming but I told them the recruiter told me she will see me after the interview. They looked annoyed...just said "OK" and left. The recruiter came in after and walked me to the elevator...she said she will reach me in 2 days but I already knew from the interview I didn't get the job. Overall: recruiter was very nice but I feel the managers shouldn't rush when people take vacation from work to meet with them.

Interview Questions

• what books am I reading...why I want to work at freshbooks   Answer Question

FreshBooks Response

Apr 26, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for submitting a review – we understand that you did not have a good experience interviewing with us, and we definitely don’t want that for any of our candidates. While we always aim to be ... More

Scrum Master Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at FreshBooks in February 2017.

Interview

Screening call, then another call with a different individual. No response back to either my phone message or email. If you are taking the time to call someone for an interview, that shows you must have had an interest in the person. Have the decency of letting individuals know which way the interview went. Don't ignore people. If you are using candidates for training purposes, let them know up front that you actually have no interest in them but willing to interview them and provide feedback for their time.

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

was contacted by email to set up a phone interview within 3 days of applying. Interviewer called on time, was polite, reviewed a bit about company and stressed the office culture, open-space environment. Some house-keeping type questions regarding location, ttc accessibility and ensured i knew there was no parking.

Interview Questions

• What did i know about company, why i applied, what i was currently doing. Describe the team i worked with - size and work they did. Was also asked "what is your geeky obsession?". i thought this question was silly and not at all relevant, as what answer would be a good one? And given my years of experience, it didn't seem to fit. Also, the question seemed to suggest a very young staff with little in terms of diversity.   Answer Question

UI/User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

Very friendly and approachable people. Though it was strange (and distracting) to have an interview in a coffee shop. I felt a bit awkward talking about myself in a "public" environment. The idea is to keep it "casual" - but they might want to consider how this impacts interview performance, given that interviewees are already a bit nervous.

Interview Questions

• What skill would you bring to the table that we don't already have on our team?   Answer Question

Mobile Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FreshBooks.

Interview

Really disappointed that it took them 3 weeks to reply after I submitted my application. By the time I received their email I had already completed interviews at other places and received offers.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Contacted via email through an online recruiter by one of the FreshBooks HR staff and we set up a quick phone interview, which involved some light technical questions and questions regarding motivation for leaving my current job, etc.

Second phone interview was a short quiz with one of their developers on web development standards and concepts.

Final day of interviews was approx 3-4 hours and involved one culture fit/general interview with 2 team leads, one tech interview with 2 team leads, a 20 minute pair-programming challenge (which was fun) a tour and a chat with someone from senior management.

Everyone involved in the process was positive, open and friendly. It felt like the interviews were conducted to get an honest assessment of my abilities, rather than being an arbitrary quiz to see how many books I have read or fluff up the ego of the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Phone technical interview: Define RESTful web services, why would you prefer POST over GET?

In-person technical interview: Hotel problem; break down a hotel booking/guest management system into meaningful objects, methods on a whiteboard.

In-person general interview: Give an example of a work situation where trust played a role
      Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter at ISG Search, who identified a product management position with Freshbooks. After an initial screening call, I was informed that the team at Freshbooks was very interested in speaking with me, and a call was scheduled a week later with their internal recruiter. After a successful phone interview, a meeting was arranged at the Freshbooks office with two of their product management team. The next week I arrived at the office, was given a brief tour by the internal recruiter, and met with two of the Product team. The Director of Product Management opened by saying that he didn’t think that I was suitable for the role, which clearly indicated that he had made no effort to read my resume in advance of the interview. As for the second interviewer, a Product Manager from the team, he seemed more preoccupied with his can of Perrier, than the actual discussion.

As a professional in the software industry, it was unsettling to witness that level of unprofessionalism from such a well-known company. Perhaps they should consider revising their practices to require the hiring team to make some effort to prepare for the interview. As I personally wasted over 2 1/2 weeks with a company that can’t perform such a simple task as proper interviewing, I recommend you treat future candidates with more respect.

In addition, I never received any follow up from Freshbooks, nor ISG Search following this interview.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

I was very impressed throughout the whole process. I met with each level of the organization within the company including the Team Lead, Manager and even VP of the company.

It was made clear to me what the expectations of a prospective candidate would be from cultural to a metrics-driven standpoint.

There were clear expectations of next steps and they got back to me when they said they would get back to me.

Glassdoor also gave me a very good understanding of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• - Case Study
      - Cultural questions
      - Personal values and how they fit in with FreshBooks
      - How I feel about failure
      - What I wore for Halloween
      - Excel test
      Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FreshBooks (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

Positive for the most part, I was called by a FB's recruiter and invited to Toronto to interview. Had three rounds of interviews in one day as they had flown me from Vancouver. 1st round was development heads, 2nd was other scrum master's and 3rd was founder. Did have long periods of silence from recruiter.

Interview Questions

• General questions about culture and skills directly relating to previous experience   Answer Question