FreshBooks Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
FreshBooks Co-Founder & CEO Mike McDerment
Mike McDerment

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As someone who is looking to break into the tech industry, this is a great place. There is a lot going on and I am constantly busy. The tech stack is pretty modern and the office has dogs.
    The people are the best - I really mean it. The company prides itself on having a strong culture and I think there are some obvious improvements to be made, but overall people seem very happy to come to work.
    Management is very transparent, employees are aware of current numbers and investment and they try to keep everyone informed.

Cons

The perks aren't as great as some other companies (Shopify, Flipp, PagerDuty, etc) but I think that will come with growth. Lunches only provided one day a week.
    Struggling to go from the start up mentality into a full-blown "company", there are some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward, your employees love you and want to build this product together. I appreciate how transparent you are, but wish that the perks were updated a bit more to reflect other similar companies in the industry.

Aug 9, 2017

We truly appreciate this feedback!

We believe in hiring FreshBookers from a diverse array of experiences (not just tech!) because we all bring something unique to the table. So glad you feel... More

2. "Wonderful place to work!"

I worked at FreshBooks full-time

Pros

Company exemplifies great values, which is obvious through the excellent leadership

Cons

Opportunities for growth somewhat limited.

Aug 9, 2017

Thanks for the review! Embodying our PORCHFEST values at every level of the company is important to us.

Our goal is to support each FreshBooker in their growth and development. We have some great... More

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

the culture, the people, the opportunities to be challenged and collaborate!

Cons

the building may be a little hard to find.

Aug 9, 2017

We're so glad to hear that you love working at FreshBooks! The pros you mentioned are some of the things we are most proud of. Thank you for sharing.

"Great place to build a career"

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time

Pros

The company is growing very quickly which means that there are lots of opportunities to learn and grow.
    The atmosphere in the office is friendly and relaxed. There are a lot of great perks like fee breakfast, gym and showers, ping pong tables and a well stocked beer fridge.
    The best thing is the calibre of people that you work with - they are a smart, fun and interesting bunch.

Cons

The location in the west end of the city is less than ideal for commuting and the open environment can be noisy at times making it hard to concentrate.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate to the whole team on a regular basis.
    Be careful to ensure that politics don't creep into the building as you grow - it can ruin the great culture.

Jun 8, 2017

Hi there. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. You're right about the calibre of people you work with here at FB being smart, fun and an interesting bunch! In my opinion, the people and... More

"Not what it used to be..."

I worked at FreshBooks (More than a year)

Pros

- Teammates were (mostly) wonderful professionals, top of their fields and easy to get along with.
    - Direct management in my position was fantastic.
    - Salary was competitive when I started the role.
    - Benefits are (mostly) competitive.
    - The culture is super important to most folks, and is actively worked on.
    - Office celebrations for good work are not uncommon.

Cons

- Salary was no longer competitive after a year or two.
    - Pay raises dipped quite substantially.
    - Lots of negative politics, especially behind the scenes. It's hard to see this at first.
    - Not enough diversity (especially in leadership roles), but is present issue throughout the entire company.
    - Benefits do not support those with chronic or mental illnesses very well.
    - Usually not keen on employees speaking out about improvements that could be made.
    - CEO releasing a migration date for the new FreshBooks platform (and not being able to stick to it) caused a lot of unnecessary animosity and stress.

Advice to Management

- SLT: You have a lot of work to do to fix the cons listed above. FreshBooks has the promise to be one of the best tech companies in Toronto, but poor decision making and politics are holding you back from soaring.
    - Direct Management: Keep focusing on people-management. Most of you excel at this.

Jun 8, 2017

Thank you for the feedback and review. First, we'd like to apologize for our tardy reply. I'm really sorry that your experience at FreshBooks did not match our intention of being the best place... More

"Great company to grow your career and learn"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- All the perks: bike storage, showers, nap rooms, weight room, massage chairs, snacks...
    - Company fosters a learning culture and an ample budget is set out for educational expenses such as conferences, courses, and books.
    - The technology employed is very very diverse. If you're a jack of all trades, you'll be glad to know that you can sharpen your axe on a variety of different platforms, programming languages, CI tools, and so on. Nary a week goes by where I don't learn something new, tech-wise.
    - The Junction Triangle and Junction neighbourhoods are up and coming and there's a handful of cheap but delicious eats within 10 minutes walking distance.
    - Lots of social activities to partake in your colleagues such as Friday afternoon wine tasting, indoor soccer, and intense cardio Monday's

Cons

- You'll have to make an effort to get your team to go out for lunch; as the company has grown, the business goals have been prioritized and "fun" activities have somewhat taken the backseat. An example of this are the "graduations" which marked the one-year anniversaries of employees. You'd have to for example shuttle a ball along a maze using only a mass attached to two wires suspended from your hips while other employees cheered you on. At the end, you'd be presented with a nice certificate. Events like this happen with less frequency now.

Advice to Management

- Bring some fun back to weekly Short Hands meetings, they're kind of boring
    - Invest in more opportunities to have people step away from the office for meetings, conferences, offsites, special events, etc.

Jun 8, 2017

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate when we get feedback about your experience with FreshBooks. We look forward to our continued growth and having you as a part of our team. I... More

7. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time

Pros

The people that work at FreshBooks are some of the smartest, most creative individuals you'll ever meet. They inspire you to do your best work all of the time.

Cons

Not enough team collaboration across departments. Product and marketing work as silos versus together as one team and it makes things more difficult than they need to be.

Jun 8, 2017

Thanks so much for your review. Our apologies for the delay in response. We are so glad to hear that you feel inspired working along side fellow FreshBookers. It's true that we have amazing people... More

"Undergoing transition but the groundwork is solid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FreshBooks is some of the smartest, most dedicated and kindest people I've ever worked with.

Great culture, great product, and dedicated customers who adore it... and being able to support a huge community of independent entrepreneurs is motivating. Things are headed in a good direction, with the "new FreshBooks" getting closer to feature parity and customers starting to use it more and more, and after a few years of little to show customers we're starting to show off again.

Diversity is good, and the executive calls out the fact that they're all men as a problem (but they're still all men). Family-friendly, office-dog-friendly.

I expect that in a year it'll be a 4-5 star company again.

Cons

There's been a hiring freeze all year which just lifted. Having just launched "the new FreshBooks" after a couple years of work it's in a bit of a transition stage, and there's been a lot of people taking this natural opportunity to move on to their next challenge, which has been difficult for those remaining. There's a lot in flight and everything feels like it's months behind, especially because the hiring freeze meant that there was no extra capacity to bridge the gap.

Advice to Management

Recovering from the hiring freeze, the turnover during the transition, and the mindset of building the new FreshBooks is going to be hard. Re-staff HR so they can focus on re-staffing the rest of the company. You need dedicated HR leadership, and you need to reintroduce some breathing room into everything: hiring, projects, targets.

"FreshBooks Review"

I have been working at FreshBooks full-time

Pros

Great people make it easy to come to work and develop an excellent culture. Lots of opportunity to grow and stay challenged to adapt to the faced paced, competitive SAAS space.

Cons

For some, FreshBooks may lack some of the structure that larger organizations provide. For others, the start-up type of feel may offer the freedom they are looking for. Really depends on the individual. Lots of focus on the product team and developers.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people across all parts of the company. Updating benefits to include things like RRSP matching.

"Great company on the surface but beware"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at FreshBooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture and opportunity to work with truly great people. Motivated to do your best when working with other like-minded employees. Fun but productive atmosphere. Doesn't get much better for a day-to-day job but if you want to advance this isn't the place.

Cons

Open concept not for everyone. The best employees are not chronically underappreciated. Very hard to progress internally after you've been there for too long. Projects don't move as fast as one would think given how many employees.

Advice to Management

Great work on the culture but need to better balance employee advancement with the company needs and egos. Realize that you aren't the be all and end all. Treat current and former high achieving employees with more respect.